Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We shall gather together in the long twilit nights…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We shall gather together in the long twilit nights…

… and tell tales of a good and wise artist and puppeteer.

Peter Firmin dies aged 89

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44674652

A legend, and a much loved childhood memory. Although having a little browse now, it's clear that I didn't quite grasp, as a child, the role that warm socks seem to have played in the minds of the kings and princes beyond those black rocks.

Comment

RIP to a man who brought so much joy to so many children, of multiple generations. Wonderful creations, gentle stories, enduring brilliance. And Emily loved him.

Comment

That's an impressive list of programmes. A man I couldn't pick out in a line-up, creating countless childhood memories.

RIP.

Comment

He was a genius. Ivor the Engine captivates my 4 year old nephew even now. Bagpuss and the Clangers are just brilliant. Noggin the Nog was wonderful.

Comment

RIP indeed. A huge talent and a very decent person. As I'll have mentioned before, the Firmins (and Postgates) were family friends when I was at school in Canterbury and I have happy memories of the garden shed/studio where Smallfilms was run. (I even had opportunity to create a planet or two for the backdrop of The Clangers.)

Not to destroy too much of the myth and the magic, but there were two of most puppets - and at least three Bagpusses...

Comment

Bagpi?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                He was a genius. Ivor the Engine captivates my 4 year old nephew even now. Bagpuss and the Clangers are just brilliant. Noggin the Nog was wonderful.
                Mrs b and I and friends went to an exhibition of Firmin & Postgate's work a few years ago at the Lowry - it was a close-run thing as to whether our generation, or our friends' kids (5 and 7 y.o.) were more awestruck.

I think there's still a place for gentle, slow-moving kids' telly even in today's colour-saturated, shouty, thousand-miles-per-hour TV world.

Comment

Mrs. House Cat and I had a cat called Baggpuss. I was particularly fascinated by Noggin the Nog. Nogbad the Bad used to scare my cousin.
                  Last edited by adams house cat; 02-07-2018, 13:45.

Comment

I remember seeing an interview with Emily who said while Bagpuss looked soft he was basically a meccano set covered with cloth

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      RIP indeed. A huge talent and a very decent person. As I'll have mentioned before, the Firmins (and Postgates) were family friends when I was at school in Canterbury and I have happy memories of the garden shed/studio where Smallfilms was run. (I even had opportunity to create a planet or two for the backdrop of The Clangers.)

Not to destroy too much of the myth and the magic, but there were two of most puppets - and at least three Bagpusses...
                      Well even on the show there's three.

One with his eyes closed, one with his eyes open, and one in sepia…

Comment

(They have this thing called 'stop motion'...)

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                        I remember seeing an interview with Emily who said while Bagpuss looked soft he was basically a meccano set covered with cloth
                        Yep, pretty much AFAIR: most of the puppets were constructed from Meccano-type frames.

Emily was/is the youngest of the six Firmin daughters (one of whom I briefly went out with when I was fourteen) - all of whom went on to have artistic careers of one form or another. (Their mother also, however I forget in what capacity.)

Comment

I've been spending a lovely couple of evenings rewatching old episodes of Pogles Wood.

Comment

When Oliver Postgate died.

Comment

Working...
                            X