Integration in Irish sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Integration in Irish sport

When the influx of new ethnic communities into Ireland began in earnest following EU expansion in 2004, it seemed highly probable that soccer would prove the primary beneficiary, with practically every UEFA member association demonstrating the value of new arrivals through national team squads. Yet to date, sporting integration has proven most pronounced in the GAA, with the O'hAlpín brothers in the previous decade, Lee Chin presently, and Stefan Okunbor set to break into the Kerry senior squad next year.

Perhaps underage structures and community development are most favourable in the indigenous sports, with county leagues and championships facilitating the growth of young talents, in contrast to soccer, where teenage exports to England remain significant, even while the LoI career route is increasingly recognised. Similarly, rugby, though focused provincially, perhaps overconcentrates on academy hothousing at too early an age, with too many individual players lost to amateur levels as a consequence.

Certainly at the underage levels,players of African and Asian heritage are coming through,at Bohs as my own example there's quite a few in the underage teams and the latest youth teamer to break through to the first team squad,Cristian Magerusan,is from Romanian parentage
    I can see an explosion of young talent coming through in the next few years,here's hoping anyway

Comment

Ireland win silver in women's 100 metres relay in the world u20 championship, great for Irish athletics which has been in a bit of a slump since Sonia O's Sullivan retired, also three of the five (one was injured in the semi-finals) are of African descent

Comment

My kids are playing GAA and soccer. For every non Irish player integrated in the GAA there must be twenty in soccer. Same at all levels.
        Last edited by seand; 23-07-2018, 11:15.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
          Ireland win silver in women's 100 metres relay in the world u20 championship, great for Irish athletics which has been in a bit of a slump since Sonia O's Sullivan retired, also three of the five (one was injured in the semi-finals) are of African descent
          One of that team is Sonia's daughter. It occurred to me the other day that she was the baby I saw Sonia push through Dublin airport in 2001. I felt old.

The Children of Migrants generally play whatever sport their friends do, particularly in school. In large swathes of the country that's going to be GAA, because the local football team won't be up to much. in other areas it will be soccer. My neighbour Divonio has turned up at the door selling lines for the local Soccer, and local hurling club, which would seem to be a pretty normal sort of a thing for a typical Irish 8 year old.

Comment

Man, I thought that I saw a lot as a kid, but I never saw an 8 year old coke dealer.

Comment

I’m interested in this by the line sales technique as well. Galway is truly a place apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                I’m interested in this by the line sales technique as well. Galway is truly a place apart.
                I believe you call it selling raffle tickets.

Comment

Meanwhile, a Bayern player born in Luxembourg with a Swedish father has declared for his Irish mother's homeland:

http://www.the42.ie/ryan-johansson-b...58069-Aug2018/

Comment

2 black guys, a catholic and a bloke called Paddy.

Comment

Working...
                    X