No announcement yet.

Vot vent vrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How have they overlooked Peter Neururer yet again?!

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
      I can't understand why many people are talking about the Germany squad being 'old'. Two outfield players (Gomez and Khedira) are the wrong side of 30. The current squad would be old for Euro 2020, but not now.
      Again, their starting lineup was over 301 years old.

Look at what Sweden and Brasil did to Mexico.

Look at France's 19 year old with rocket-powered boots.

Look at the Metamucil and Depends official DFB product advertisements.

OLD AS FUCK.

Comment

Oliver Bierhoff has given a most remarkable interview in which he threw Ozil under the bus. He is wondering out aloud whether it wouldn't have been better to not call up Ozil. Other than the PR speak of having "hard looks at all of us", Bierhoff takes no responsbility for his part in Germany's failure. But he played a part in it. The choice of the team hotel in Moscow turned out to be adsaster. The players hated it, Löw hated it. It contributed to the bad vibes which were lifted, briefly, when Germany went to Sotchi -- where Löw had wanted to locate the German HQ in the first place.

Before the World Cup, I discerned a rift between Löw and Bierhoff; it was there between the lines. The DFB has begged Jogi to stay on. Bierhoff will have to be the fall guy now. And his shitty attempt to have Ozil take the fall should hasten Bierhoff's demise.

Comment

Thoughtful statement from Ozil

Comment

If Ozil's Ma loves Erdogan so much why didn't he send her to the photo-op?

Two problems. First, racists in Germany will blame the dual-nationality players for the team's failings because that's what racists do.

And second, Erdogan's a cunt.

While I admire Ozil for challenging the first problem, the second shows poor judgement from both player and agent (who likely wrote the statement).
            Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 22-07-2018, 11:53.

Comment

I don't know how much family Özil has in Turkey and how often he visits them but not participating in the photo might have caused trouble for several people. Both himself as far as visits go and possibly to those living down there. It's not an overly wild suggestion considering how Erdogan has acted, swiftly, against those who don't kiss his feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                If Ozil's Ma loves Erdogan so much why didn't he send her to the photo-op?
                So you don't wish to engage with Özil's argument trying to separate the office from the person? Nowhere in that letter does it say that Özil's Ma loves Erdoğan.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Thoughtful statement from Ozil
                  That was part I of III.
                  I don't have time at this moment to throw it in properly, perhaps you could?
                  https://twitter.com/MesutOzil1088/st...17944745226242

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                      I'm glad. There are no alternatives to Löw.
                      Wenger speaks fluent German...

Comment

@Wouter- I dont buy 'respect the office if not the person' arguments generally. Erdogan, Trump etc demean their office

Ozil's first letter above explains repeatedly that he's honoring his mother by hanging out with Erdogan. That implies to me she's a fan, apart from being a bit sickly

Comment

Good letter. About 7 weeks too late.

Comment

Genau

Comment

Meanwhile Kalle Rummenigge -- the most German looking German ever, incidentally -- has called the DFB a bunch of amateurs. He explicitly excluded Jogi Löw from his judgment, but the rest of them, rank amateurs. But Kalle has a solution. Install Philip Lahm as DFB vice-president.

Philip Lahm's qualifications and professional experience as a football administrator follows in full below:

... and he was the captain of the national team.

Comment

He's retired from international football.

Comment

Spd Politician calls for Bierfhof and Grindel's resignation

https://twitter.com/FrankSchwabe/status/1021098567900061697

Comment

Good for him.
                                    Fuck the DFB.

Comment

in Football Bild says what it doesn't yet dare say elsewhere in politics- or what AP said.

https://twitter.com/MelAmann/status/1021161101713707008

Comment

Just read that Bild commentary. Bunch of kuntz.

Comment

As Ozil points out, Lothar Matthaeus met with Putin but got a free pass. Ozil had met Erdogan previously the same day Merkel met him.

But the racist scapegoating of Ozil in these sources for World Cup failure is so blatant that it hardly merits a respectful reply. It would have happened to Sterling if England had gone out early, and to Pogba if France had flopped.

Of course Erdogan milked it, but so did Putin with Matthaeus.
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-07-2018, 23:51.

Comment

I don't like to be the moral equivalence asshole who goes around saying there's fault on all sides in the Ozil affair... but here it sort of is.

1. Ozil was not clever in agreeing to take a photo with Erdogan (Gündogan even signed a shirt dedicated to "my president", so the clouds over that pair got even darker). I have no doubt that he was being naive rather than supportive of Erdogan's specific policies. But even more stupid was his inability to set the record straight immediately, and to distance himself from Erdogan (which he could have done by stressing the merits of German democracy).

His score-settling trilogy of statements yesterday was petulant score-settling, even as he makes many valid points. He didn't just burn bridges, he blew them up. All good and well, but it lacks self-awareness or even a token acknowledgment that he can see the point of his critics, many of whom are on Ozil's side in the racism he has received..

2. The DFB deserve every brick Ozil throws at them. DFB president Grindel is a vegetable (he'll be out soon enough), but Oliver Bierhoff really threw Ozil under the bus after the World Cup. Ozil has every right to feel betrayed by those the functionaries. They should have stood by the player, not scapegoat him.

3. The public reaction does not reflect well on German society. You can't oppose Erdogan as an enemy of democracy and then deny Ozil the democratic right to pose with whomever he chooses. That's not democratic. You can criticise him for that choice, but you can't condemn him, as many who are not racist did.

Those non-racists should have questioned his wisdom, but strongly challenge those who used the affair to make racist capital out of it.

If I was a person of Turkish or other migrant heritage in Germany today, I'd feel betrayed. Clearly, whatever you do, no matter how many World Cups you win for Germany, you'll never be made to feel fully German. There's always a question mark about your loyalty, even by decent people.

Comment

He made an interesting point about Klose and Podolski.

Comment

And it goes on

Bayern’s Uli Hoeness rips into Mesut Ozil
                                                Sadly for Ozil, he is continuing to be attacked on Monday morning.

Bayern Munich’s president Uli Hoeness has savaged the Arsenal star for quitting the national team.

Germany’s Sport1 and SportBild have collectively reported on Hoeness’s criticism of Ozil:

That is great for the German national team for competitive reasons. In my view, Özil has been a player MIA for years. He’s [resigning] on the pretence of his allegedly poor treatment by the DFB, but he should ask himself when the last time he won a one-on-one was. It’s been years.

For the new beginning, it’s super that he’s now finally quitting. Already at the World Cup 2014, he was no more than a fellow traveler and not far from being cut. The others [on the team] pulled him through the final. Now he’s hidden himself nicely behind the Erdogan story. He’s played like crap for years and now Grindel or Bierhoff are supposed to be to blame.

I’m glad the fuss is over. He’s played like crap for years. The last one-on-one he won was before the World Cup 2014. And now he’s hiding himself and his shit performance behind this photo.

Always when we played against Arsenal we played over him, because we knew that is their weak point.

His 35 million fanboys — who of course don’t exist in the real world — get worked up that Ozil has played amazingly when he successfully makes a cross to his target.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                                  He made an interesting point about Klose and Podolski.
                                                  "My friends Lukas Podolski and Miroslav Klose are never referred to as German-Polish, so why am I German-Turkish?"

Well, Mesut, because you have always presented yourself as German-Turkish. Nothing wrong with that, but Klose and Podolski very rarely made reference to their Polish roots (which, in any case, were Germanic roots).

As for that Hoeness, he has a gift for making a fair point -- that Ozil's performances didn't justify his selection -- sound risible. Old Bayern players have away of doing that.

Comment

I know every team that does significantly worse than expectations will end up having some kind of public inquest into what went wrong, but Germany seem to spectacularly be making an utter pigs ear out of this. On the verge of destroying this multicultural diverse Germany team which had been such a huge positive in all ways. Will Gundogan also quit? Will some of the other minority players reconsider their position (Boateng, for example)?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X