No announcement yet.

Fire Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortunately, although it's insanely hot, it's not a proper Santa Ana so we don't have hot dry winds coming in. Instead, there's monsoonal moisture which has already built up some cloud cover and humidity and could bring storms later.

Comment

Two more fires in the county started today. One on Camp Pendleton, which always seems to be a tinderbox. And one not far from the end of the Miramar runway, in dead space. That's the closest to us, but is still a good 7 miles away. The trouble is that it's almost all open space between there and here, so it could go up very quickly.

Comment

Third day of wildfire in northern Scotland

That's a lot of smoke
        Last edited by delicatemoth; 08-07-2018, 10:51.

Comment

Greece: about 15km northeast of Athens

Six dead, thousands forced to leave their homes

Comment

Apparently my step father decided today - day x in the hottest, driest summer OF ALL TIME in the UK - was a good day to burn the roots on a dead bush. Fire Engines had to put out the next door neighbor's tree he accidentally torched with his antics.

Comment

Now over 50 deaths. Awful news.

Comment

Nothing to compare to any of the above, but there was a major Wanstead Flats fire a couple of weeks ago, which took 200 firefighters to put out. We live around 200m away, and while it was never a serious worry in any sense, I understand it was the largest grass fire in London for a hell of a long time, maybe ever (as this area wouldn't have been in London back before the war).

Comment

I had a two hour train delay yesterday due to a trackside fire between Doncaster and York, but as dd says, nowt compared to what some poor sods are having to go through.

Comment

Smoke over Kurzeme.

Comment

Saddleworth Moor fire being reported as "extinguished"

Is Winter Hill still burning?

Comment

I saw that Philmont Scout Ranch, a wildernessy place in northern New Mexico that I went when I was 14, has had to cancel all the rest of their season because of fire danger. So I guess that area is on fire too.

Comment

The Ute Fire happened earlier in the summer and threatened Philmont.

There was a weather break for a few weeks where it was back open, but looks like they're packing it in.

That is cool you got to go - my son's troop did an 8-day backpacking trip back when he was probably around 15. He still has his beat-up hiking boots w/ the Philmont 'brand' on them. Our troop hiked all over the state and a number of places outside the state, but they all said Philmont was easily the toughest and most grueling of them all.

Comment

Horrendous what’s happening near Athens. I witnessed from up close forest fires in Provence in July/August 2003 while visiting some of my relatives there, even from a safe-ish distance it’s extremely scary. Unbelievable how quickly those wildfires can spread, 30 kms in just 8 hours one day I remember over the Saint-Tropez Gulf in the hinterland (Massif des Maures, strong winds and very dry conditions tht day). A few people died in horrible circumstances. Not as frequent now in that area but the same happened last year down there, albeit on a smaller scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                              The Ute Fire happened earlier in the summer and threatened Philmont.

There was a weather break for a few weeks where it was back open, but looks like they're packing it in.

That is cool you got to go - my son's troop did an 8-day backpacking trip back when he was probably around 15. He still has his beat-up hiking boots w/ the Philmont 'brand' on them. Our troop hiked all over the state and a number of places outside the state, but they all said Philmont was easily the toughest and most grueling of them all.
                              I got that brand on my boots, but I don't have those boots any more. They fell apart by the end of high school, as I recall. I think ours was 10 days, but three weeks total. We took the train, which is one of my only experiences on Amtrak (It was fun on the way out, but on the way back I was just tired and sick of it). If I could live life over again, I'd take a year off between high school and college and try to get a job at Philmont doing some kind of trail-building or tree-planting or something like that. I now regret not taking a gap year and I wish I knew more about trail-building, tree-planting, and "outdoor education."

I've never really been to any any parts of New Mexico that could be described as urban (I think my family stayed one night at a KOA near Albuquerque on our way through in 1983), but it looks like a nice place to live, though media suggests there's a lot of meth, racism, and guns. And wild fires.

Comment

The Greek authorities believe that at least some of the fires may be the result of arson.

Comment

I was in Greece just last week and have friends there. Heartbreaking stuff.

Comment

Apparently Siberia is on fire. 8 weeks ago the lakes were still frozen.

They had a Swedish guy on the radio explaining how the Swedish government have had to borrow fire planes for their forest fires.

74 people dead in the fires in Greece so far.

Comment

74, Jesus. Thought the Portuguese fires last year were bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I've never really been to any any parts of New Mexico that could be described as urban (I think my family stayed one night at a KOA near Albuquerque on our way through in 1983), but it looks like a nice place to live, though media suggests there's a lot of meth, racism, and guns. And wild fires.
                                        We like it in 'burque, but like all big cities there's some seriously crazy parts of town. Though we have a big mountain range to the east (as talked about up thread) there are rarely fires there. The bosque along the Rio Grande is more likely to experience fires and fortunately those get doused pretty quickly.

Those images from Greece are truly horrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          The Greek authorities believe that at least some of the fires may be the result of arson.
                                          Also believed to have been set by career criminals in order to drive people from their homes so they could be looted.

Three days of national mourning also announced by the Greek Government.

Comment

How big fires can start small. This could have been disastrous. I'm pretty baffled that anyone would want to make a campfire in these conditions tbh.

Comment

Homes built haphazardly among the pines, no evacuation plan, poorly organised emergency services hit hard by austerity: the deadly wildfires around Athens this week may have shocked Greece but few environment experts are surprised.

Greece's fire service had an annual budget of 354 million euros ($414 million) last year, compared with 452 million in 2009.
                                              After devastating blazes killed 77 people on the southern island of Evia in 2007, Greece embarked on updating its firefighting response, which was judged to be too reliant on aerial relief to the detriment of ground responders.

"Ultimately, I don't know who did or didn't do what, but judging by the result, it didn't work," said Bokaris.

Comment

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1022315914421854210?s=21

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1...421854210?s=21

Comment

A coworker of mine went to Yosemite last week. She has asthma, and left earlier than she was planning on. She had to go into the ER because of breathing problems after leaving the park.

Comment

https://twitter.com/yiannisbab/status/1022392992198475777

Comment

Working...
                                                    X