Wedding Songs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding Songs.

Talking with a couple friends a few days ago the subject of wedding songs came up. Mrs. House Cat and I walked up the aisle to "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King and "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green. My Daughter got married to "Come And Get Your Love " by Redbone.

Any others?

"Everything is awesome" for my brother and sister-in-law.

Comment

'If I Should Fall Behind' by Springsteen.

Comment

"Too Drunk To Fuck" by Dead Kennedys.

</standardanswer>

Comment

For me and Mrs. Thrillseeker it was 'Oh Happy Day' by the Edwin Hawkins Singers.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
            Talking with a couple friends a few days ago the subject of wedding songs came up. Mrs. House Cat and I walked up the aisle to "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King and "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green. My Daughter got married to "Come And Get Your Love " by Redbone.

Any others?
            I think you win this with your two.
            What better way to go. And I don't mean that as in dying even though marriage is bit of murdering it for too many.

Comment

P and I have hugely different musical tastes, so for our first dance we went for something neutral. We chose Louis Armstrong - Wonderful World. (I suggested We Have All the Time in the World but she said that was tempting fate.)
              Up the aisle was Ode to Joy by some Orchestra or other. Back down, it was the same piece but the heavy metal guitar version because P likes that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post

Any others?
                Was the choice of Redbone influenced by ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’?

We had the wedding band play Can’t Take My Eyes Off You’ as our first dance.

As hypocritical atheists, we had a Xmastime church service so we could have carols instead of hymns (apart from ‘Guide Me O, Though Great Redeemer’ for further Welshness) and the choir sang ‘Walking In The Air’ as we signed the register.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-06-2018, 23:51.

Comment

Mrs Benjm and I had the Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay when he recorded it) cover of Stand By Me as a first dance. Up the aisle was Close Cover by Wim Mertens and walking out the version of Pachelbel's Canon In D Major off Brian Eno's Discreet Music album. The last may have been pushing the wankiness envelope a bit.

Comment

Whoa – I don't know about "wanky" per se but that is certainly a bit left-field.

For the benefit of the uninitiated, there's three barely-recognisable 'variations' on the Canon on Discreet Music, created by Eno getting the musicians to perform small and often unrelated parts of Pachelbel's score in ways that diverge from each other by tempo and/or length, such that they soon fall out of phase with each other in a rather disorienting fashion. The three have gloriously absurd titles borrowed from a mangled translation of some French liner notes on a recording of the original Canon, including 'Fullness Of Wind' and 'Brutal Ardour' (I forget the other one), and each piece quickly breaks down into equally baffling incomprehensibility.

I'm not completely convinced this is what I'd want as an opening metaphor for my marriage, altogether, but good on you Benjm. I hope the gathered family and friends appreciated it.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                      Was the choice of Redbone influenced by ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’?

We had the wedding band play Can’t Take My Eyes Off You’ as out first dance.

As hypocritical atheists, we had a Xmastime church service so we could have carols instead of hymns (apart from ‘Guide Me O, Though Great Redeemer’ for further Welshness) and the choir sang ‘Walking In The Air’ as we signed the register.
                      I don't think so. She just thought it was a good thing to get married to. Good record as well.

Comment

My Cherie Amour by Stevie Wonder played by steel band

Comment

Down the aisle (or is it up the aisle?) - Zadok the Priest sung by my bride's old choir friends. Not really into that sort of thing, but very befitting of the occasion
                          Way out - can't remember
                          First dance - Baby I Love You (Ramones version), followed by It Must Be Love (Madness version played by the live band). Obvious I know, but she was happy...

Comment

Nothing. We got married on the cheap. No church, the three living parents, a dog and two council officials.

I hummed The King Is Half Undressed by Jellyfish in the khazi before if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                              Nothing. We got married on the cheap. No church, the three living parents, a dog and two council officials.

I hummed The King Is Half Undressed by Jellyfish in the khazi before if that helps.
                              Our wedding was similar. Apart from The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With and me, the only person in attendance was the registrar. There was no music, apart from the violins and harps playing in my head.

At the wedding do, which took place three months later, the first song played was Sham 69's "Questions And Answers", as an intro to the ensuing quiz.

Comment

You had a quiz at your wedding do? That is brilliant. Also, would have guaranteed a fight at any family wedding of mine.

Comment

As part of the invites, we sent out a note for suggesting three songs. This led to new discoveries that we still love now. Also, learning from a friends mistake, the entire playlist was given to the DJ in the form of a CD with MP3s on it and the instructions that if he "lost" it, we have plenty of backups. When he saw the list he said "Thank God for that, not an evening of the same old shit". Top bloke. Obviously played some of the usual but we got just about everything in.

Anyway...

Entrance: Afro Celt Sound System - "Eireann"
                                  Registry Signing: Sarah McLachlan - "Possession (Piano version)", Metallica (with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra) "Nothing Else Matters"
                                  Exit: INXS and Jimmy Barnes - "Good Times"
                                  Reception entry: Paula Abdul - "Opposites Attract"
                                  First dance: The Goo Goo Dolls - "Iris"
                                  Right You Bastards, Your Turn to Get Up And Dance: Aynsley Lister - "Upside Down"

Comment

We had Amazed by Lonestar for our first dance. The wife and I have completely different musical tastes, and this was seen as a middle of the road compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                      (I suggested We Have All the Time in the World but she said that was tempting fate.)
                                      Was she worried about Telly Savalas suddenly turning up?

Comment

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds would be quite good to walk in to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bermuda Iron View Post
                                          Down the aisle (or is it up the aisle?) - Zadok the Priest sung by my bride's old choir friends.
                                          I've got a top mental image of whoever was officiating walking down the aisle between the two of youse, dressed in full referee regalia, picking up the rings off a pedestal, and looking on as youse swapped pennants and a handshake.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                            Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds would be quite good to walk in to.
                                            Playing "the chances of anything coming from Mars is a million to one,but still they come "as the love of my life walks up the aisle might not send the right message

Comment

She could march down with a pretend space gun and pretend to shoot the congregation. That would be fun.

Comment

My 'first dance' was Bowie's Wild is the Wind. No prizes for guessing how well that marriage turned out.

Comment

Ha Ha true,moot point anyway,she's very much "once badly bitten,twice very shy " on the subject of marriage,maybe some day

Comment

Working...
                                                  X