No announcement yet.

The others have all forgotten that it's Lawn Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CoCo Vandeweghe is attempting to win a match on one leg after an ankle injury. She can barely move between points and is ending every rally in pain. It's one to watch from between the fingers, and one wonders what the point is - she can't possibly recover in time for the next rounds. If it was a Semi maybe, but R1?

Comment

I really want someone to say "CoCo, honey, this is admirably courageous, but are you really sure it's wise?" She might win today, Siniakova clearly has no idea how to go about playing an injured opponent and is keeping things far too safe, but how much further could CoCo possibly go, and how much risk is she at of turning strained ligaments into ruptured ones that will keep her out for months?

Comment

Vandeweghe put herself through 2+ hours of pain (in a near 3 hour match), for no gain as she eventually lost. But not Radwanska, who was way down in set 3 to Ruse (another Romanian), saved six match points, and came through in the end. Svitolina needs to do similar, as she trails Maria 0-5 in the third.

Comment

Nope, Maria wins 6-1. The No.4&5 seeds gone in R1. Ordinarily that would blow a half wide open, but Serena.

Comment

I watched the first set of Ruse Radwanska. Ruse looked full of energy and excitement about playing there, and quickly fell 5-0 down. She saved set points at that score and then finally won a game and another and a third before finally losing the set. I turned over then to watch the football. Imagine my surprise to find the match still on when the football was done. Impressive performance obviously but just not enough

Comment

The evening crowd gave Ruse a standing ovation when she left the court, and Barry Davies (who is still doing Tennis commentaries on the red button) made a prediction that she would be back often on such stages and is a name to remember. So everyone watching was clearly impressed. Radwanska was fighting back tears in the immediate post-match interview, suggesting it was an emotionally draining match for her as well. I only saw the last couple of games, which were clearly not the best of Ruse, so can't really comment myself.

Oh yes, and this funny little incident happened. In answer to Naomi Cavaday (I think), to protect oneself from the Ravenous Bug-Blatter Beast, obviously. Not previously known to inhabit No.1 Court, but maybe Ruse had spotted one lurking in the photographers pit.
              Last edited by Janik; 02-07-2018, 23:54.

Comment

So Roger Federer came on court yesterday and we discovered that he has ended his clothing contract* with Nike after all these years. The announcement that he has signed with Uniqlo instead was timed to be simultaneous with him walking out on to Centre Court clad in their gear, which was announcement enough in it's own right. In faint echoes of John Foggety being sued for sounding too much like John Foggety, Federer cannot currently wear his RF logo as Nike still own the rights to that!

* - but he doesn't have a shoe deal at the moment, so presumably is having to actually buy them himself have them bought for him. Oh the humanity...

Comment

Day 2 picks

Thiem [7] vs Baghdatis
                  Kyrgios [15] vs Istomin
                  Lopez vs Delbonis
                  Chardy vs Shapovalov [26]
                  Cecchinato [29] vs De Minaur

OK, so Marcos Baghdatis is long past his peak as a player, it is now over a decade since his Aussie Open Final and Wimbledon Semi appearances (I was at the latter, he pushed Nadal harder than the 3-0 final scoreline shows). But he remains popular, and is at least back in the top 100 having dropped out last year. He has always been decent if not spectacular on grass, but essentially plays too similar a game to Thiem to win here, as Thiem will play it better. Included for nostalgia as much as anything. The Court 2 crowd get the chance to wallow, third match up.
                  Very much the here and now with Nick Kyrgios and Denis Istomin, though the question on both sides of the net if which will show up, with the added dash regarding Kyrgios of how fit he is physically as well as mentally. Istomin has shown a penchant for the big stage in the past, ending Djokovic’s dominance of the Aussie Open by beating him in five in R2 of 2016 (Nole had won five of the previous six editions). That came from spectacular hitting with a devil-may-care attitude. Which is what Kyrgios always does. The setting may underwhelm the Aussie, they play in the second match on Court #12, and then there is the injury concern. I won’t venture a predication because doing that on a Kyrgios match is a fool’s errand.
                  In many ways Feliciano Lopez vs Federico Delbonis is an entirely run-of-the-mill R1 encounter, pitting the World No. 70 against 88, with a distinct favourite as one player (Delbonis) is an arch clay courter who has never won a match at Wimbledon. Indeed it has been scheduled as such, being played first up on Court 7, which is as outside as you can get - the only spectating is two walkways down the sides with some benches, a set-up that wouldn’t look out of place in the local park. However it is also a record breaking match, as by taking the court Lopez will play in his 66th consecutive singles Grand Slam, topping Federer’s mark of 65. And Lopez, as Queens champion last year, remains a potential banana skin for the top players. Presumably he will win this one, and get a R2 shot at del Potro.
                  Ooh, shotmaking! That will be the order of the day in the Chardy-Shapovalov match. Chardy’s forehand is not really made for grass with its extreme amount of top spin, but even so it is a heavy and penetrating, if erratic shot. Shapovalov plays with the fearlessness and attack of his 19 years… mostly. He is currently having his first spell of patchy form since rocketing up the rankings, only winning one match in three grass court tournaments in the warm-up weeks. However he is a former Wimbledon Boys Singles champion (and very recently, in 2016!) so will feel comfortable in the surroundings. I take him to come through eventually. And eventually also applies to when and where this will be played as it is currently one of two matches TBA (the other is Ostapenko and Dunne). Presumably it will go on either Centre or 1 if either of those courts are done by 5:30pm.
                  Shapovalov’s opponent in that Boys Final two years ago was Aussie Alex de Minaur, who hasn’t advanced quite as fast as his Canadian peer but did break the top 100 in the last month when he won the Challenger in Nottingham. That grass court pot initially earned him a main draw wild card but it then got withdrawn when drop outs meant he didn’t need it anyway and was in off his own bat. Despite his youth, De Minaur should have greater familiarity with grass than last month’s breakout star in Paris, Marco Cecchinato. The Italian is entirely a clay courter, to the point where he has never bothered even entering Wimbledon qualifying and won just four games in his R1 loss last year when his ranking was high enough to make playing on grass something he had to do. Cecchinato did play at Eastbourne, and won a couple of matches to make the Semi, but I favour the young Aussie to beat him over five. They play third on Court 17.

Konta [22] vs Vikhlyantseva
                  Cornet vs Cibulkova
                  Kerber [11] vs Zvonereva [Q]
                  Niculsecu vs Osaka [18]
                  Bencic vs Garcia [6]

So it begins here for the only Brit with a vague chance of winning the event this year. Here being first up on Court 2, as Jo Konta finds herself bumped down the pecking order by Muguruza and Halep taking the Centre Court spots and Kvitova getting Court 1. Fingers crossed she can get through against a real banana skin in young Russian Natalia Vikhlyantseva. 21 year-old Vikhlyantseva has previous form on grass, making a WTA level final last year but stalled a bit recently and see her ranking drop somewhat from it’s peak in 2017. However the pressure is very much off her and very much on Jo, and handling the pressure well is something Konta is becoming less and less good at. The good news is that she still mostly beats lower ranked players, and has shown decent grass court form, so I go for her to scramble through in three.
                  If Konta does get through, she will play the winner of Alize Cornet and Dominika Cibulkova. Which is a pretty shocking draw, to be honest. Nearly as bad as 2016’s Puig followed by Bouchard double. Cibulkova was the player bumped out of the seedings by the elevation of Serena Williams, something she made a public complaint about in advance, and has a solid grass court pedigree. Talking of Williams reminds one that Cornet also has had her successes on turf, the most notable being beating the GOAT on her best court (i.e. Centre) a few years ago. Cornet is flaky, but if she is on she is superb, and this could make for a good match for those finding their way to Court 5 (on the end by the restaurants IIRC, so a bit more spectating space) first up.
                  The second match on Court 3 pits two former finalist against each other in the persons of Angelique Kerber and Vera Zvonereva. The Russian is a veteran these days, and hasn’t really pulled up too many trees since opting to make a comeback after a long time out with injuries and surgeries, followed by getting married and having a kid. She last played regularly on the tour as long ago as 2011. However she got her ranking up high enough to make the qualifers and then won through those to play just her fifth Slam main draw since the 2012 Aussie Open in which she was the 7th seed. The player who made back-to-back Slam finals will still be there in mind, but it must be questionable if the body and reactions are sharp enough to compete with a top level player like Kerber, who is once again performing in Slams (SF in Melbourne, QF in Paris) after the disappointments of 2017. Angie in two.
                  It’s hard to imagine a more extreme contrast in styles between the thunderous but conventional power baseline play of Naomi Osaka and the slice and dice variations of Monica Niculescu. Even by the standards of players who work the ball, the Romanian is funky – most come over the forehands and chop their backhands, but Niculescu tends to do vice versa, cutting under the forehands and hitting through on the other wing. It will be intriguing whether the Japanese youngster and future World No.1 in a lot of people’s eyes can cope with that on grass. Hard one to call, because it really depends on how Osaka copes. It should be on in the late afternoon or early evening as its third match on #18 and would be worth for those wanting filler between the Football matches.
                  Probably the highest profile match of the day in the Women’s pits Belinda Bencic against Caroline Garcia. 2016 and 17 were very disappointment for the Swiss player, as she lost form and then all confidence, and then got injured. Her ranking slipped from the top 10 it once was to outside the top 100 at one point. However she is climbing back, is still only 21 and may yet develop into the outstanding prospect she appeared as a teenager and former winner of two Girls Singles Slams (the 2013 French and Wimbledon back-to-back). Garcia has also struggled to translate early promise into good results on the big stage (that old tweet from Andy Murray about future no.1 is more of a millstone than anything), and has a limited record on grass, though she did win the inaugural Mallorca Open. They go at it last on Court 3, and based on the greater comfort on the surface and greater flexibility in her game I tip the Swiss to win (the Tennis, not the Football).

Comment

Brit-watch: Konta is a set and a break up on Vikhlyantseva, Clarke has just been pegged back to one-set all by Gulbis.
                    And Norrie lost in four to Bedene last night, making it one from four for the day, Swan as the winner, Dart, L.Broady and Norrie going out.

Based on how long it's taking, Cornet-Cibulkova must be extremely tight. They went through the hour mark before even starting on a tie-breaker which might be about to happen.

Comment

I haven't done a running R3 draw yet, have I? So let's correct that. The in-play R3 draws, with the usual caveat that I'll only add those non-seeded winners who I'm confident will go on to win their 2nd round match. Or simply have name recognition to them.

Gentleman’s Singles

Roger Federer Sui [1] vs Leonardo Mayer [i]Arg[/i] [32] Jan-Lennard Struff Ger
                      Adrian Mannarino Fra [22] vs Borna Coric [i]Cro[/i] [16] Daniil Medvedev Rus
                      Sam Querrey USA [11] vs Richard Gasquet [i]Fra[/i] [23] Gael Monfils Fra
                      Philipp Kohlschreiber Ger [25] vs Kevin Anderson RSA [8]

Marin Cilic [i]Cro[/i] [3] Guido Pella Arg vs Filip Krajinovic [i]Srb[/i] [28] Mackenzie McDonald USA
                      Lucas Pouille [i]Fra[/i] [17] Dennis Novak Aut [Q] vs Milos Raonic Can [13]
                      John Isner USA [9] vs Pablo Carreno Busta [i]Esp[/i] [20] Radu Albot Mda
                      Stefano Tsitsipas Gre [31] vs Grigor Dimitrov [i]Bul[/i] [6] Stan Wawrinka [i]Sui[/i] Thomas Fabbiano Ita [Q]

Dominic Thiem [i]Aut[/i] [7] Marcos Baghdatis [i]Cyp[/i] Karen Khachanov Rus vs Fernando Verdasco [i]Esp[/i] [30] Frances Tiafoe USA
                      Kyle Edmund GBr [21] vs Novak Djokovic Srb [12]
                      Nick Kyrgios Aus [15] vs Kei Nishikori Jpn [24]
                      Damir Dzumhur [i]BiH[/i] [27] Ernests Gulbis Lat [Q] vs Alexander Zverev Ger [4]

Juan Martin del Potro Arg [5] vs Denis Shapovalov [i]Can[/i] [26] Benoit Paire Fra
                      Jack Sock [i]USA[/i] [18] Gilles Simon Fra vs David Goffin [i]Bel[/i] [10] Matthew Ebden Aus
                      Diego Schwartzman [i]Arg[/i] [14] Jiri Vesely Cze vs Fabio Fognini Ita [19]
                      Marco Cecchinato [i]Ita[/i] [29] Alex de Minaur Aus vs Rafael Nadal Esp [2]

Ladies Singles

Simona Halep Rou [1] vs Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova [i]Rus[/i] [30] Hsieh Su-wei Tpe
                      Johanna Konta [i]GBr[/i] [22] Dominika Cibulkova Svk vs Elise Mertens Bel [15]
                      Jelena Ostapenko Lat [12] vs Maria Sharapova [i]Rus[/i] [24] Vitalia Diatchenko Rus [Q]
                      Daria Gavrilova Aus [26] vs Petra Kvitova [i]Cze[/i] [8] Aliaksandra Sasnovich Blr

Garbine Muguruza [i]Esp[/i] [3] Alison Van Uytvanck Bel vs Anett Kontaveit Est [28]
                      Ashleigh Barty Aus [17] vs Daria Kasatkina Rus [14]
                      Angelique Kerber Ger [11] vs Naomi Osaka Jpn [18]
                      Carla Suarez Navarro Esp [27] vs Caroline Garcia [i]Fra[/i] [6] Belinda Bencic Sui

Karolina Pliskova Cze [7] vs Mihaela Buzarnescu Rou [29]
                      Kiki Bertens Ned [20] vs Venus Williams USA [9]
                      Julia Gorges Ger [13] vs Barbora Strycova Cze [23]
                      Zhang Shuai [i]Chn[/i] [31] Andrea Petkovic [i]Ger[/i] Yanina Wickmayer Bel vs Sloane Stephens [i]USA[/i] [4] Donna Vekic Cro

Elena Svitolina [i]Ukr[/i] [5] Kristina Mladenovic Fra vs Serena Williams USA [25] [PR]
                      Magdalena Rybarikova [i]Svk[/i] [19] Evgenia Rodina Rus [Q] vs Madison Keys USA [10]
                      CoCo Vandeweghe [i]USA[/i] [16] Katerina Siniakova Cze vs Anastasija Sevastova [i]Lat[/i] [21] Camila Giorgi Ita
                      Agnieszka Radwanska [i]Pol[/i] [32] Lucie Safarova Cze vs Caroline Wozniacki [i]Den[/i] [2] Ekaterina Makarova Rus
                      Last edited by Janik; 06-07-2018, 08:18.

Comment

Crunch times coming for both Clarke and Konta. Clarke's match is at 4-4 in the third set, so he could be about to be within a set of victory or having to win two-in-a-row. Konta had what looked like a winning lead in set 2 at 4-2 up and break points for 5-2, but then lost something like 15 out of 16 points to drop back to 4-5 down and 0-30 down on her own serve. She saved multiple set points in that game, and has now clawed her way back to a second set tie-break. Even more than Clarke, this is all or nothing; either she will have won in five minutes time or she will be back to square one.

Comment

I'm just score tracking rather than watching, but Konta appears from that to be having a severe case of finishing line wobbles. She had four match points at 6-2 in the breaker, but now it's back at 6-all...

Comment

Fifth mp for Jo, and third on her own serve...

Comment

Nope. I'm getting a horrible feeling about this now.

Comment

OK, sixth chance...

Comment

Finally!

Set two took so long that Cibulkova was able to win her tie-break against Cornet, rattle through the second set 6-1 and get off court a minute or two earlier than her R2 opponent.

Clarke is 6-5 up on Gulbis in set three, but that is on serve. So another nervy breaker looms. In the matches on Centre and 1 the seeds are both an early break up, so Edmund 4-2 ahead of Bolt and Broady 1-4 down on Muguruza but with the balls in her hand.

Comment

fnarr

Comment

Roger Federer's signed a £230m, ten year deal to wear Uniqlo gear. While he's out doing the Sunday supermarket shop, presumably, for the last seven or eight of those. He's 36. Surely he's not going to still be playing much longer?

Comment

He will get TV work around every Slam time.

Comment

Being a pundit occasionally on screen in their leisurewear range hardly seems worth paying that much for though. Mind you Rolex pay him a similar amount now and he doesn't even wear a bloody watch on court...

Comment

The Masters tour and exhibitions will have him on the court as much as he wants

Comment

Late evening drama - Sharapova served for her R1 match against Diatchenko at 5-4 in the second set, got broken, lost the breaker, got a break lead in set three, lost it and eventually got knocked out 6-4. Diatchenko is basically a Sharapova clone, 6 foot tall, willowy, thumps it from the back of the court and emits basically the same shriek when she hits the ball.

Blowing a winning position at the death, eh? That's a stupid mistake to make.

Comment

Think Sharapova led 5 - 2 in the second set. She certainly led 4 - 1.

Comment

Nice to see the back of her that early.

Anyway, a good (if far from shock) win for Katie Boulter today. Bumps her up to close to 110 in the live rankings, though I'm guessing that, assuming she loses in R2 to Osaka, she'll have very little time left to gather the extra ranking points that she'd need for automatic US main draw qualification before the cut off date for that draw.

Comment

110 would normally be enough given there's always some injuries.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X