No announcement yet.

The others have all forgotten that it's Lawn Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile, on Court 3, the boys singles Semi currently stands at 7-6 6-7 11-11! That involves a Brit, Jack Draper. But he is currently break point down...

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
      I doubt that. For one there is a match halfway through on that Court (the 3/4 British Mixed Doubles affair, though this is nearly done). Another is that Centre Court has a roof and floodlights, #1 doesn't - they can play on Centre to 11pm. Then there is ticket holders who will be expecting two matches. In theory Isner-Anderson is never more than five minutes away from being done.
      It's more likely that they will tell Nadal and Djokovic they won't even start today. And that is unlikely before 9pm or so.
      Don't tempt them, Janik!

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
        Told you ...
        Well, you asked the question, which isn't quite the same thing. (Joking.)

I'm quite enjoying witnessing the growing frustration of the Djokovic/Nadal brigade - as if Anderson/Isner just have to turn up, sort it in two hours and then jog on and make way.

Comment

The Beeb potentially have tennis until 11pm, which would be an early night for the US Open. Not a bad result for them.

Comment

I'm a fully paid up member of the Djokovic Nadal brigade. I'm not ashamed of this.

Comment

Oh, I totally understand it, don't worry.

Comment

All the Desmonds now, you almost don't want it to end!

Comment

Right. I’m back, though I stopped for a bite en route.

Comment

They think it's all over ...

Comment

...it is now.

Respect to Anderson - dead on his feet, but still paid tribute to his opponent.

Comment

It is now.
                        A really compassionate interview from Anderson with the Beeb afterwards. No celebration, just sympathy for Isner. He looked empty, frankly.

Comment

Oh, and the Final to be done before the World Cup starts. 13-11 against Federer followed by 26-24 against Isner? Anderson will barely be able to move on Sunday. Makes the other Semi even more of a virtual final than it already was!

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                            Why on earth did they put these 2 lumps on first? No one gives a toss about either of them and this drudgery was completely predictable.

And half the possible new audience for tennis waits and waits, and buggers off for a Friday night out.
                            I don’t know, we now get Rafa and Djokovic at peak time on a Friday and that was meant to have done wonders for Hockey in the 2016 Olympic Women’s Final.

Comment

Lovely post-match interview by Anderson. I didn't really know much about the man before, but he might just have become one of my favourite players.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                Lovely post-match interview by Anderson. I didn't really know much about the man before, but he might just have become one of my favourite players.
                                Indeed.

Comment

Meanwhile, on Court 3, the boys singles Semi currently stands at 7-6 6-7 11-11! That involves a Brit, Jack Draper. But he is currently break point down...
                                  Draper won that 19-17 about half-an-hour ago. The teenagers only played for 4h24. Slackers.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                    It was in line with his reputation as a quietly spoken good guy. And even by the standards of those, it was notably empathic.

Poor bloody Isner. On the radio they mention he had said something about not being solely known as one of the two guys who played the longest match. Now he is known as that, plus the longest Semi. It will reinforced his legacy as a big server marathon man with little other game, sadly.

Comment

A few empty seats. Do they resell the tickets of people who have left?

If this is 2-2 at 11pm, are they really going to make the players come back tomorrow?

Comment

Poor bloody Isner. On the radio they mention he had said something about not being solely known as one of the two guys who played the longest match.
                                        Yes, poor bastard – he's now the man who's played the two longest matches in Wimbledon history.

Had he won today, Isner would've looked like an ironman nonpareil, mind. Still, turn and turn about, belatedly: eight years after he outlasted poor old Nicolas Mahut, losing this one seems just about fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          They do, though I think you may already have to have a grounds ticket to get one. I was at Centre Court yesterday but was initially trying to get tickets today, which would have been a strange experience.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-07-2018, 19:32.

Comment

If this is 2-2 at 11pm, are they really going to make the players come back tomorrow?
                                            With safety restrictions, etc, I'm not sure they have a choice, do they?

Comment

I think you're right and the local authority a rule on it.

Novak gets the break and is playing the better stuff right now. Does anyone know what his ranking will be if he wins the tournament?

Comment

I think you're right and the local authority a rule on it.
                                                Yep, almost certainly that - it's very residential around that neck. (The pub at which I often drink is just up the road, and they're pretty bloody quick to get everyone indoors as soon as it turns 10pm.)

Comment

Yes, there is a hut behind court 18 / at the top of the hill. People with reserved seats (i.e. Centre, #1, etc) are encouraged to scan them at the gates when they are leaving the grounds for the last time. These are then resold, with the proceeds going to charity. Some of those from the queue, likely those who just missed out on show court tickets, will head straight for the resale hut immediately. This likely means another ~6 hours of queueing before any get released. This is only something someone there for the 'event' rather than the sport itself would do.

And yes, they will stop at 11pm, come what may. Local residents as the Club is in a residential area, public transport etc. dictate the licensing terms. Tim Henman is on the Committee of the club, and he is always clear about it. There was one Andy Murray match on a middle Saturday that ended at 11:02. They were seconds away from pulling it, IIRC.

Comment

I hope your dad's still there enjoying this, Janik.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X