Argentine Malady: Group D Deciders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argentine Malady: Group D Deciders

I fancy Nigeria to beat Argentina based purely on the psychological state of the two teams and Argentina's lack of effective tactics. Iceland might struggle to break down even an already qualified Croatia.

Comment

Workers overthrowing the management in St Petersburg? I feel like I've seen this before

Comment

Hah

Comment

What could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Will Sampaoli show up? Who decides on substitutions?

Comment

Sampaoli has said Messi is selecting the team, and Mascherano is giving the orders.

Comment

Anyone starting to get France 2006 vibes from this argentina side? Clown manager. Talismanic genius who everything revolves around. Bags of quality and experience, but have been playing turgidly for some time now. Egos, unrest in the camp.

Comment

Maybe Maradona can put away the cigar and come down coach them.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                    Anyone starting to get France 2006 vibes from this argentina side? Clown manager. Talismanic genius who everything revolves around. Bags of quality and experience, but have been playing turgidly for some time now. Egos, unrest in the camp.
                    I'm enjoying this by closing my eyes and imagining myself inside the head of the brave and talismanic John Terry at SA 2010.

Comment

It's almost as if they're blissfully unaware that their own performances thus far have utterly sucked.

Comment

Who will Messi headbutt in the final?

Comment

Although it seems that Croatia can lose 1-0 and still probably be guaranteed winning the group.

Comment

Croatia top the group unless Nigeria win and there's a 5 goal swing in Nigeria's favour. Argentina have to win by a goal more than Iceland do, possibly two. Argentina could go out on fair play to Iceland if goals scored and conceded are identical across the three games.

This makes Argentina's odds very stingy. They are not based on the maths or the football we've seen. Punters are making the mistake of assuming that they are just being slow starters. Er, no, they look shit because they've been shit for a while. Punters are also not playing through the various scenarios whereby Iceland just need to keep to the same scoreline Argentina get, and Croatia can coast on their goal difference.
                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-06-2018, 12:32.

Comment

This is the one. Am getting more and more senile.

Comment

If Messi picks the team and formation and still fails, it will damage his reputation far more than failing in Sampauli's discredited formation. So it's a big personal risk for him.

Will Argentina's FA ban the rebels as a punishment for mutiny? Will FIFA?

On the topic of Croatia resting players, they have earned that right.

Comment

I think Messi doesn't care. He will retire after this from all international football. Again.

Comment

It might be a stupid decision to rest so many players, as ten (so the rumours say). Momentum can be ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                                      It might be a stupid decision to rest so many players, as ten (so the rumours say). Momentum can be ruined.
                                      I dunno. Having a week's rest for the likes of Modric will do them good. I think the long hard season for the European based players will start to take their toll on the next round.

Comment

Croatia drop almost everyone.

I'm pissed off because my local network is showing this one, not Argentina-Nigeria. So Iceland had better deliver.

Comment

That's crazy. Greece has two channels offering a choice of games.

Comment

The entire football staff at this NZ channel is probably an intern, so I'm grateful for anything, and wouldn't be at all surprised if they switched to infomercials at half-time.

Yesterday's highlights package managed to ignore both Russia's red card and Egypt's missed penalty (I am not making this up).

Comment

When was the last time you had to Google Argentina's goalkeeper? Armani stickers ... not got.

Comment

I wonder if Argentina being in their proper full first kit for the first time in the tournament will be a lucky omen.

Comment

Somehow people are still predicting that Argentina will beat Nigeria, as though they haven't been paying attention to this group.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X