Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which national team do TNS Fans Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which national team do TNS Fans Support?

A franchise acquired across a national border. Fans of a Welsh league club support England in tournaments?

I care very little about what supporters of such a club feel about anything.

Comment

They don't have supporters, they have justifiers and hangers-on

Comment

Shrewsbury have a large contingent of fans who come down from the mountains of mid Wales and support Wales, not England.

Comment

I'd imagine that the English ones support England and the Welsh ones support Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            Shrewsbury have a large contingent of fans who come down from the mountains of mid Wales and support Wales, not England.
            I believe there's also a Welsh-language bookshop in the town.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Fans of a Welsh league club support England in tournaments?
              You'd be surprised how many born-and-bred Welsh people I knew that would support England in major tournaments. My sister bought an England shirt for the 2002 World Cup! (Technically we are one-eighth English but that's no excuse!)

Then the Euro 2016 bandwagon happened and people who never knew the pain of Paul Bodin's penalty, four years of Bobby Fucking Gould, Egor Titov juiced off his tits and Stevie Evans winning seven caps were having Y Ddraig Goch painted on their faces.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                I believe there's also a Welsh-language bookshop in the town.
                Not that I know of.

Comment

No, I don't think so either. The excellent independent bookstore does have some books in Welsh though.

Comment

My colleague from Rhyl turned up today in a new England shirt, which surprised me a bit.

Comment

Actually I'm talking about Oswestry. If you mean Shrewsbury then I'm sure there's no Welsh language bookshop.

Comment

I find it an odd question. Many people's club supporting has nothing to do with their national supporting.

Pete Davies (of "All Played Out" fame) was an English Wrexham supporter. I am a Welsh Bath City supporter. There have always been huge amounts of Welsh Manchester United and Liverpool - and, I assume now, MAnchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea - fans.

Comment

Went to the Bull in the centre of Shrewsbury after the Plymouth game to watch the 6-Nations game and it was almost overwhelmingly red.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                            Pete Davies (of "All Played Out" fame) was an English Wrexham supporter.
                            He now works on the cheese counter at my local Sainsbury’s.

Comment

I know a guy in Oswestry who speaks with a strong mid Wales accent, supports Spurs and was a Tory member of the Town Council

Remember Rhyl late summer 2008. England flags for a tournament they didnt qualify for weeks after it finished

Bog Annette to thread
                              Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 25-06-2018, 06:16.

Comment

Not that I know of.
                                Maybe you just don't know the Welsh for "bookshop"?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                  Maybe you just don't know the Welsh for "bookshop"?
                                  Actually I do.

I'm wondering if there might be a niche one opened recently but I'm pretty sure my dad would have told me about it. He bemoans the death of bookshops. There used to be several independents or small chains, and second hand places as well. Most have gone.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                    My colleague from Rhyl turned up today in a new England shirt, which surprised me a bit.
                                    Rhyl = Liverpool-by-Sea. It's a local form of Stockholm Syndrome. If Patty Hearst had grown up serving hot dogs at the funfair (a misnomer - there isn't much fun to be had), she would probably be walking around in a 'two World Wars and one World Cup' t-shirt.

Comment

Thinking on it, dual national identification should not be odd, especially given population flows between England and Wales. I just think that if you were an Oswestry fan with a very strong English identity, you might have cognitive dissonance when you watch your team represent Wales in Europe, but that depends whether you normally express your Englishness in an exclusionary way (Tebbit test style) or conclusively (open to dual identification)

Comment

Do people really acquaint their team playing in Europe with representing the wider body of their country? This is the whole "you have to support Liverpool in Europe because THEY'RE THE ENGLISH TEAM" tabloid press nonsense.

Comment

Also worth noting the original Oswestry Town were founder members of the FA Wales, which is why the phoenix club were allowed in, and why TNS were allowed to move there. The Oswestry that was swallowed up was part of the Welsh system. The football going public in Oswestry have had a century and a half to get used to this conundrum.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                            Is he from Rhyl, or does he live in Rhyl?

There used to be a Welsh language bookshop in Rhyl incidentally.

Comment

He's from Rhyl, now lives here (Huddersfield), but only for the last 6 or 7 years, so moved to England as an adult. I didn't bother asking, but I guess it could be a family or ancestral thing, in the same way that I proudly support the Welsh rugby team because of my "heritage".

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                                                He [Pete Davies] now works on the cheese counter at my local Sainsbury’s.
                                                Has he given up writing?

Comment

Apparently so from this interview last time I looked him up.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X