Dirtiest encounters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirtiest encounters

The Croatia Argentina game had some very nasty tackles.

What have been the dirtiest World Cup fixtures that you have witnessed?

What was the match? Which players were the dirtiest?

Argentina v Brazil 1978,I was allowed to stay up on a school night to watch that,shouldn't have bothered,I remember it being a defensive kickfest

Comment

Portugal 1-0 netherlands 2006

Khalid boulharouz.
      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 23-06-2018, 21:38.

Comment

Crazy how that article chides the ref for losing control. Rather than the dirty dutch going all out to kick shit out if the opposition (and getting repaid nearly a hundred pence in the pound in fairness). Ref deserves credit for getting the game finished without being abandoned

Comment

Filthy performances all round in this Brazil-Netherlands clash from 1974.

Comment

Brazil v Colombia last time out was pretty tasty, I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
              Crazy how that article chides the ref for losing control. Rather than the dirty dutch going all out to kick shit out if the opposition (and getting repaid nearly a hundred pence in the pound in fairness). Ref deserves credit for getting the game finished without being abandoned
              The ref did lose control. He only booked Boulahrouz, which meant that the Portuguese then went on the rampage seeking revenge, and suddenly you had total fucking warfare going on. Four players were sent off and figo was banned for an off the ball headbutt. A red card, and portugal would have spent the game focused on grinding down a ten man opponent.

Comment

Cameroon v Argentina in 1990.

The dirtiest England game I have seen live or on video was v Brazil in 1970, and mainly from Brazil it must be said.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Cameroon v Argentina in 1990.
                  The first World Cup game I ever saw. I kind of imagined it was going to be like that every match...

Comment

Likewise. Mexico '86 was the first tournament I connected with but my memories are more of collecting Panini stickers than of watching the games - I think because most of them were evening kick-offs and past my 7-year old bed time.

So that game at Italy '90 was the first I remember properly watching.

Comment

First two games I properly watched were the 1988 fa cup final, and Ireland beating England in Stuttgart a few weeks later. It was some time before I saw passing the ball as anything but a bourgeois affectation after that induction.

Comment

First game of any competition I remember watching properly was the 1987 Cup Final in my grandparent's spare room.

I mean, that's where I watched it on TV, not where the game was played.

Comment

To get back on topic - in recent years, there's little to counter the Spain/Netherlands final of 2010. A pathetic display from two sides brimming with virtuosity.

The Battle of Santiago (1962) - Italy vs Chile - was pretty tasty, of course.

Comment

The latest issue of Backpass has a bit about the Battle of Berne in 1954, where apparently the Brazil and Hungary players laid into each other with glass bottles in the dressing rooms after the game. Three had been sent off during the game by Arthur Ellis.

Comment

I can't really say I "witnessed" much of the dirt in the first World Cups I saw (starting 1974) because the TV coverage revealed much less. Reporters would tell us that (e.g.) Gentile had been homicidal, but 90% of the crimes were off-camera, with fewer angles, replays, slo-mo etc.

So you just believed that the Dutch and Graeme Souness were innocent while assorted Uruguayans and the like were thugs.

Comment

Commentary was also much more biased back then. In 1986, for example, the commentators gave Terry Fenwick a free pass for his assaults on Maradona, even falsely accusing Diego of simulation. That was the dirtiest performance I have seen by an England player.

Comment

West Germany v Holland 1990 had the spitting incident.

Comment

Uruguay in 1986 were filth - Denmark (Michael Laudrup in particular) were brutalized by them but got revenge by winning 6-1, and Jose Batista was sent after less than a minute against Scotland for trying to remove Gordon Strachan's leg.

Comment

Working...
                                    X