No announcement yet.

Münster Final? Germany vs Sweden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't there a wild Germany-South Korea game during the '94 tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by третий сорт Лешн View Post
      This commentator is really pissing me off with his “What a seismic result this is!!!” hyperbole.
      He spent an age excitedly writing Germany off before uttering at the end, "Never write the Germans off".

Great match. Astonishing finish.

Comment

In 1994, Germany took an early 3-0 lead, only for South Korea to score twice in the second half. Ended 3-2, with Germany winning the group (over Spain).

Comment

Goal. Sending off. Bit of Swedish Time wasting.

Comment

I stayed up with my brother to watch that game in 94. When Korea got their 2nd goal we shouted so loud we woke my parents up. It was about half 2 in the morning. We really thought they might equalise.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemin-de-fairy View Post
              I don't live in Sweden, either. Still hilarious.
              Fair enough, but either way, you don't have to put up with the biennial experience of their slightly-above-average but admittedly well-organised side spawning their way to trophies all the fucking time while the media crow on what a fantastic team they are, even though they're not all that, and all your fucking neighbours, who only ever watch football every two years, actively seek you out to commiserate on your plucky losership.

I love living in Germany, it's a great country and - for the momement at least - miles more progressive than any other country I've been to. I like to think I'm fully integrated and I identify more with its institutions than I do with those of my own country. I just can't bring myself to identify with its football team. I liked them before I came here, but the unrelenting smugness turned me against them. You can't change your spots and Norman Tebbitt was a know-nothing cunt.

Some people have been foolishly speculating on the consequenses of England winning a tournament (as if!). They would be just the same as the consequences of any country winning a tournament, no more, no less. It would encourage nationalist wankers to do what they do, but more generally would put a smile on the faces of many more people who aren't like that. It ought to be shared around, not happening in the same fucking country, every fucking time.

Comment

Alderman: You know I'm Scottish, right?

Comment

I know, so you of all people will understand, right?

Comment

Why the fuck does he throw in two new fresh forwards with 1-1? Guidetti and Thelin, when he could have switched down to one extra in mindfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Alderman Barnes View Post
                      I know, so you of all people will understand, right?
                      How? (I fear that we are cross purposes. I have never had the problem of my team winning.)

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                        He spent an age excitedly writing Germany off before uttering at the end, "Never write the Germans off".
                        Should be fired. Everyone knows it's "Never write off the Germans".

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                          Why the fuck does he throw in two new fresh forwards with 1-1? Guidetti and Thelin, when he could have switched down to one extra in mindfield.
                          Because Germany were down to 10. Sitting back would allow Germany to hide their disadvantage, Sweden needed to try and engage the German back two and force some midfielders deeper. I would guess that was the theory, at least.

Comment

I love living in Germany, it's a great country and - for the momement at least - miles more progressive than any other country I've been to. I like to think I'm fully integrated and I identify more with its institutions than I do with those of my own country. I just can't bring myself to identify with its football team. I liked them before I came here, but the unrelenting smugness turned me against them. You can't change your spots and Norman Tebbitt was a know-nothing cunt.

I can't believe you even tried. No matter how we dress it up International football is all about being a kid, and every world cup is a desperate effort to recapture the joy of being 8. (Club football is basically the same now that I think about it)

Comment

Originally posted by Chemin-de-fairy View Post
                              Alderman: You know I'm Scottish, right?
                              We're at my in-laws south of Gothenburg doing the Swedish midsummer celebration thing. I packed my things in haste. Instead of throwing in the yellow and blue Boca Junior Swedish shirt, I packed this one. Sitting with it now.

But it's one of the most beautiful shirts ever made, so feeling comfortable.

Comment

Tom Sherwood punditting phonetically on TV on Dulmaz's foul that led to the free-kick: "The name says it all."

The possibility that Mexico, Sweden and Germany will end level on points and goal difference is not all remote. If Sweden and Germany win their last games by a goal with the same score, we'll have that fun scenario. If I'm not entirely mistaken, the tie-break will be fair play. In which case Boateng's red might knock Germany out yet.

Comment

I can't believe you even tried. No matter how we dress it up International football is all about being a kid, and every world cup is a desperate effort to recapture the joy of being 8. (Club football is basically the same now that I think about it)

Ah, to be honest I didn't ever try. But Bild-Zeitung would have put a stop to it anyway, and that's long before the rest of the media joined in. As it happens, up until 2006, a lot of Germans hated their own national team because of their crimes in 78 and 82 and the absolute arseholes who were in the team. It wasn't until they finally got rid of the likes of Effenberg that they suddenly became the Felicity Kendall of world football and everybody loved them.

Comment

Yeah, the turnaround of German teams with horrible players to those with really likable players has been quite stunning. Between the rise of Breitner and Hoeness in 1972 and the rise of the Völler side, German teams always had assholes in their ranks. Since then, they've consistently been like the New Zealand cricket team. Of course, Jogi hates assholes. That's why he wouldn't even take a semi-asshole like Sandro Wagner with to Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                      Tom Sherwood punditting phonetically on TV on Dulmaz's foul that led to the free-kick: "The name says it all."

The possibility that Mexico, Sweden and Germany will end level on points and goal difference is not all remote. If Sweden and Germany win their last games by a goal with the same score, we'll have that fun scenario. If I'm not entirely mistaken, the tie-break will be fair play. In which case Boateng's red might knock Germany out yet.
                                      Isn't the tie-break ahead of fair play how the game ended between two tied, in which case Germany go through due to their win tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                                        Isn't the tie-break ahead of fair play how the game ended between two tied, in which case Germany go through due to their win tonight?
                                        Yeah, I thought it was head to head.

Comment

No matter how wanky and smug the German media/ dodgy nationalistic sector of the population might behave, it's nothing compared to how their English counterparts would react in the remote chance of England actually winning the thing.

Comment

Not if Germany, Sweden and Mexico are all on 6 points, PPV. In that case it's like paper-scissors-stone; Mexico beat Germany, who beat Sweden, who would have to beat Mexico for tie-breakers to come into consideration if Germany beat Korea.

Comment

DM, It wouldn't be a problem if England winning resulted in smugness. Smugness would be great. we've moved beyond smugness now.

Comment

Just get on a ferry back the night England win it, Dm. I guarantee you'll have jumped overboard and will be swimming back to The Hoek or Dunkerque before the night is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                                  Not if Germany, Sweden and Mexico are all on 6 points, PPV. In that case it's like paper-scissors-stone; Mexico beat Germany, who beat Sweden, who would have to beat Mexico for tie-breakers to come into consideration if Germany beat Korea.
                                                  I doubt though it will come down to this. I Sweden beat Mexico it will be a goal, at most two. Germany will run a parade around Korea and win at least 4 goals difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Defensive minded
                                                    Alderman, I didn't watch the match against Mexico (whent for a bike ride with my girlfriend) and I didn't watch the match today. Instead I went to a restaurant where I knew the match wouldn't be on TV. When I went to pay I saw the owner watching the match on his phone and Kroos lining up to take the free-kick. I turned away, knowing what would happen. We've seen it all before. The level of smugness we have to endure is ten times what the AEB would have to endure if England won anything, which never happens anyway. I'm depressed.
                                                    Yeah, for all the faults of a deluded, overexpectant nationalistic media, a smug, confident nationalistic media can be vastly more annoying.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X