Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Would England Winning The World Cup Be A Bad Thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Would England Winning The World Cup Be A Bad Thing?

Whilst there might be a nationalist frenzy, this would involve supporting players with the names Raheem and Alli. At the very least, there would be cognitive dissonance. It would also have been won under a coach playing proper passing football, which almost certainly would not have occured under the previous two bosses or with Stevie G in midfield.

So is the anti-England feeling largely a hangover from old grievances that belong to the last millennium?

Did you see the video of the England fans singing Spurs arse on their way to Auschwitz and doing Nazi salutes?

Comment

Yes but might it not cause some discomfort to those thugs if a Spurs player scores the winning goal in the final?

Comment

On the other hand, if someone can dig out that photo from 2010 of England fans dressed as bomber pilots...

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          Yes but might it not cause some discomfort to those thugs if a Spurs player scores the winning goal in the final?
          No. I don't think it will.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

So is the anti-England feeling largely a hangover from old grievances that belong to the last millennium?
            As we keep on pointing out, a lot of it is completely natural local sporting rivalry.

Comment

I think EIM is right - an England win empowers these people. Which of course ruins it for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                Did you see the video of the England fans singing Spurs arse on their way to Auschwitz and doing Nazi salutes?
                I stopped at Leigh Delamare services at lunchtime yesterday and a stag do were taking photos of each other doing ‘Seig Heil’ salutes right in the middle of the food court.

I don’t think this has anything really to do with the World Cup mind, apart from the publicity surrounding those cunts in Moscow.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-06-2018, 12:12.

Comment

Was it an actual Nazi-themed stag do though? If that's the case, it's fine though, no?

Of course, people are looking more benignly at this team with more amenable players and coach and no great hate figure. Also, the lack of hype has made it more pleasant.

However, it wouldn't take much for all the jingoism to raise its ugly head again. Also, as Ray points out, it's rivalry. Also, although the bigger teams aren't quite performing yet, they aren't that good. Of course, they could surprise me by going further than my quarter final prediction but the fact that it would be a surprise says much.

Just looking at Belgium/Tunisia and England remind me of Belgium but without the individual players talented to such a degree and without being overrated.

Comment

I don't think the rest of the world would consider it a bad thing at all. I don't think there are any strong feelings one way or the other among neutrals.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                      Yes. I counted 4, maybe 5. All old enough to remember "Ossie's dream", the song the chant was based on. All pathetic.

If you're going to base your opinions on every bit of cellphone footage of drunk racists, you'll have to despise every community on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                        I don't think the rest of the world would consider it a bad thing at all. I don't think there are any strong feelings one way or the other among neutrals.
                        I think a lot of the football fans of the rest of the world might welcome it. Given the popularity of England’s top flight and clubs globally it wouldn’t surprise me if some casual affection attached itself to the national team too.

Comment

In my experience, the large majority of those overseas fans have adopted super-tribal attitudes that would make them loathe to support a team “full of Mancs/Scousers/Cockneys/etc”

Comment

I read that domestic violence reduces by 38% when England win. So for that reason I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

If you're going to base your opinions on every bit of cellphone footage of drunk racists, you'll have to despise every community on earth.
                              And?

Comment

Come on Gareth and the Boys, Win it for Boris and jacob and Michael and Liam. Win it For Nigel, and wills and harry and for little prince George. Win it for Paul and Piers, and Kelvin and Rupes. Give Stephen Yaxley Lennon something to keep his spirits up in the alcatraz of political correctness.

All expressions of english nationalism can drown in the piss that they're soaked in.
                                Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 23-06-2018, 19:44.

Comment

I don't think it would be a bad thing.

There's still a few people who aren't hateful racists who would enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    Come on Gareth and the Boys, Win it for Boris and jacob and Michael and Liam. Win it For Nigel, and wills and harry and for little prince George. Win it for Paul and Piers, and Kelvin and Rupes. Give Stephen Yaxley Lennon something to keep his spirits up in the alcatraz of political correctness.

All expressions of english nationalism can drown in the piss that they're soaked in.
                                    Well, I'm with you on the last bit, but your first para could be altered to fit any nation at the tournament, couldn't it? (Well, maybe not Costa Rica, unless the Citizen's Action Party is secretly supported by violent, racist, kitten-strangling paedophiles or summat.)

Germany's a a great example. I love the place, love the people, but AfD got 12% in last year's federal elections. 3,500 far-right attacks on refugees and refugee homes were carried out in 2016. Win it for Petry and Hoeke?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                                      Win it for Petry and Hoeke?
                                      and his dish.

Comment

Well, I'm with you on the last bit, but your first para could be altered to fit any nation at the tournament, couldn't it? (Well, maybe not Costa Rica, unless the Citizen's Action Party is secretly supported by violent, racist, kitten-strangling paedophiles or summat.)

Germany's a a great example. I love the place, love the people, but AfD got 12% in last year's federal elections. 3,500 far-right attacks on refugees and refugee homes were carried out in 2016. Win it for Petry and Hoeke?
                                        Germany managed to win it in 2014 and it wasn't like that at all. Same with Spain. They don't have the Media culture that the UK does, and they didn't just do a Brexit. Think how often David Davies would be mentioning the world cup to disguise that he was about to obliterate the UK economy.

Comment

Yeah, with all respect that's balls. You wouldn't chalk up Ireland's great teams of the 80s and 90s as a big up for the worst excesses of Ireland's politicians and the church at the time. Either you support or despise a particular team, or you judge it on the team's own merits. Fuck's sake, 99% of anything that surrounds the England team makes me cringe my guts up, but I'll want them to win as long as the team themselves don't make me not want to.

Comment

France in 1998 won the World Cup with a racially mixed team. A few years later Jean-Marie Le Pen was in the presidential run-off against a corrupt right-winger. I'd guess that having a racially mixed team doesn't really stick it to anybody.

And anything that makes The Sun and the Daily Mail & Express not happy is largely a good thing.

Comment

Theresa May and Boris Johnson would take the credit. And it would make nationalists even more nationalist.

Comment

Le Pen was mighty pissed off by the ethnic make-up of the '98 France team at the time. He went rather quiet during the national street party that followed the final. Maybe the Football delayed the rise of far right by a few years?

Comment

Without Brexit i would not mind this rather nice young team win it but it is bound to be used by the Brexit ultras to push the 'plucky island can be on top again' narrative...

Heroic defeat in semis will do

Comment

Working...
                                                  X