• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forza Shqipėria!!! Forza Kosovė!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
      Forza Shqipėria!!! Forza Kosovė!!!!
      Why?

I'm very curious why. This is not a thing you can throw out just because it might seem cool. Explain why. If you are so inclined will say.
      And you know, I would wonder the same if you rooted for Croatia 1991, but no connection to the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
        Why?

I'm very curious why. This is not a thing you can throw out just because it might seem cool. Explain why. If you are so inclined will say.
        And you know, I would wonder the same if you rooted for Croatia 1991, but no connection to the country.
        I lived in Albania for four years; have friends who lost family and property in Kosovo. Not enough for you? I'm very happy for the Kosovars in the Swiss team who were unable to transfer their allegiance to Kosovo when FIFA blocked them.

Comment

Sets up a great final day in the group, with four teams all going for it. Although Brazil only need a draw, I'd be surprised if they played for one, and there'd be no purpose in the Ticos playing for a point. Brazil and Germany last 16 clash seems favourite to happen but both teams could finish runners up if there's a two goal swing in Switzerland's favour. Least likely scenario is Ticos beat Swiss while Brazil fail to beat Serbia. Second least likely scenario is Mexico lose a game which allows Germany to win their group.

Comment

Originally posted by Defensive minded
            I find it despicable to see spoilt millionaires running over to a section of the crowd to provoke them, based on their version of identity politics. I know plenty of people from ex-Yugoslavia. None of them agree on the narrative that Serbia were the only perpetrators. There were victims and perpetrators on all sides.
            Not a Celtic fan then?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              dm, I share your concern about the dangers of nationalism, but would suggest that these players' personal histories and the fact that they were whistled and booed every time they touched the ball by a large portion of the Serbian support (several of whom were brandishing "Kosovo is Serbia" banners and more of whom were chanting that slogan) in arguably the most important they've match they've ever played all means that there are much better targets for that concern.
              Look at you: trying to talk everyone else on the thread, down, for one.

Thanks daddy. Can you tuck me in with a wee story about genocide? ta. x

Comment

You can't see the difference between playing for a national team and making nationalistic signs to the supporters of the other team?
                Sir/Madam,

Playing for your country is/is not a sign of nationalism, which is/is not allowed by others in your sphere of reference/killing point.

Sometimes, you get to choose, and sometimes, you get lucky. Let the scorers win, for once. Tomorrow, it will be someone else, and then in a month's time, everyone will go back to hating each other for no reason.

FIFA: It's only slightly more expensive than collaborative pancakes.

Comment

(Fucking hell. That wasn't bad. Spoony, If I can talk coherently for a while, you can mayonnaise your stye, and step UP. Pretend you are not there. I know I will.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                    The only thing he;s posted on twitter (apart from that article) that anyone might object to as far as I can see is:

https://twitter.com/XS_11official/status/1007508405731430400
                    Could you explain why anyone might reasonably object to that?

Comment

Yeah, I can.

Comment

Would you like to... step outside? (Don't want to fuck up the thread We can do PM's.)

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          Sets up a great final day in the group, with four teams all going for it. Although Brazil only need a draw, I'd be surprised if they played for one, and there'd be no purpose in the Ticos playing for a point. Brazil and Germany last 16 clash seems favourite to happen but both teams could finish runners up if there's a two goal swing in Switzerland's favour. Least likely scenario is Ticos beat Swiss while Brazil fail to beat Serbia. Second least likely scenario is Mexico lose a game which allows Germany to win their group.

Ticos have nothing to play for except pride surely.

Regarding the penalty incident, what is the VAR protocol? If the VAR team saw the incident presumably they then inform the referee that he should look at it. But can he then ignore them and say he is happy with his decision and isn't going to review the incident? I have read that the ref retains overall control, but does this extend to dismissing VAR if he doesn't think its necessary?

Comment

Serbia's FA are not taking this defeat well at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                              I lived in Albania for four years; have friends who lost family and property in Kosovo. Not enough for you? I'm very happy for the Kosovars in the Swiss team who were unable to transfer their allegiance to Kosovo when FIFA blocked them.
                              Oh, that explains it.
                              And yes, it's good enough for me.
                              Sorry for the delay here responding.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemin-de-fairy View Post
                                Would you like to... step outside? (Don't want to fuck up the thread We can do PM's.)
                                Well, I'm not looking for an argument. I'm asking for clarification, because I sincerely don't know what's wrong with that graphic. That can be done on-thread, or you can send a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                  It does seem to have been an avoidable own goal by FIFA to appoint a German ref who then misses arguably the most blatant penalty in the competition so far. I think most countries in Serbia's position would be upset, even if they did not protest officially as Serbia have done (and even if Serbia's reaction is heightened by a persecution complex).

OTOH Serbia's time would be better spent working out how to beat Brazil. Save the protests until you are definitely out.

Comment

Doraemon, my understanding is exactly that. The on-field referee retains absolute control and can reject anything the VAR tell him.

Dm, VT knows much more about this than I do, but I can tell you that displays of Albanian and Kosovar flags were very prominent in the celebrations in Pristina the other night.

Finally, FIFA have opened an official investigation into the celebrations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                      "Both players' families are from Kosovo, where a Serbian crackdown on the Albanian population only ended with Nato military intervention in 1999." Well, that's one way of putting it I suppose. Fucking BBC.

Comment

Don't forget the quote of the "non-existent country" slur without any comment or cavil.

Comment

If it's a non existent country what's the problem lol

Comment

I was always under the impression that Albania wasn't too keen on showing too much solidarity with Kosovo. I would be sincerely interested in what you have to say about the general opinion of the Albanian population; whether there was some sort of consensus or split opinions.
                                            I always felt it was more the other way around - that until things escalated, Kosovo, as part of the Yugoslav system including health and education, were happier to benefit from staying within. The idea and concept of a greater Albania never really got of the ground after the great war. Albania really suffered from the Stalinist Hoxha regime and was easily the poorest country in Europe at the end of the 80s. But the Kosovo separarist movement (90% of the population at that time was ethnically Albanaian) probably pushed the authorities into action, and it got really nasty. The policy of ethnic cleansing intensified thoughts of empathy and drove a renewed feeling that a Greater Albanian state would benefit both sides. But after all this, the feeling that Albanian expansionism would not be tolerated by the EU and still the cost to improve infrastructure on the Albanian side meant the idea never got off the ground.

So - Albania supports Kosovo because of an ethnic and cultural bond (and also sporting - Granit Xhaka's bfother plays football for Albania) but there is not quite as much feeling the other way. Kosovo wants independence - as a separate and distinct state but with a strong Alnanian identity.

At least that's what I understand.

Comment

Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 24-06-2018, 12:52.

Comment

Twat

Comment

Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 24-06-2018, 12:52.

Comment

Only if you’re a prick. You wonder why people don’t want England to win and this is what hammering some minnow in the group stages emboldens you to do.
                                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-06-2018, 12:46.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X