Los Angeles is like San Diego's older, uglier sister that has herpes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Los Angeles is like San Diego's older, uglier sister that has herpes

It's a line in a book I think is very funny, about a bloke and his dad. I once advised EIM to read it but he probably ditched the idea as soon as I was the one recommending it.

Anyway, is there any truth in that statement?

And for the sensitive once, Los Angeles is like San Diego's older, uglier brother that has herpes. Is that true?

Los Angeles is San Diego's utterly bloated, ugly, offensively arrogant next door neighbour who was once a bit special over half a century ago but now has chronic congestive heart failure and is best avoided if you possibly can. And it has herpes.

Comment

Inca will have views on this.

Comment

A bit harsh. I don't like LA. Never have, never will and I usually can't get out of the place soon enough but it has it's attractions. When I think of one I'll get back to you.

Comment

This is ridiculous

LA has its issues, but it is without question a world class city, with all the positive (and negative) aspects that entails.

San Diego it’s even close.

Comment

Just as ridiculous, I could say you get the LA experience you deserve, based on the fact that I’ve always had a lovely time there.

Comment

As long as you only stay in one neighbourhood, LA can be genuinely charming. It's a terrible place to be a tourist, and it's miserable if you have to go more than 2 miles from where you currently are (and there are bits of greater "LA" that are almost a hundred miles from other bits).

Compared to places that aren't in California, it's actually pretty stunning, with its weather, and its mountains and its beaches and ocean. LA's problem is the comparison with what's on this side of Camp Pendleton.

Comment

Is Los Angeles actually on the ocean, or is it another town/city which they claim as part of their environs?

Comment

Bruno: that is fantastic!

Comment

Comment

Both places are nice to visit, SD is a bit more livable. One of the SD downsides is that there is a pretty large military/Navy footprint.

The water is a bit warmer in and around SD, once you get north of Santa Barbara it gets too cold to swim in the ocean 50 weeks a year.

Comment

Incorporated?

Comment

Just so you know. I've got not much more to add here but am reading with interest. I wasn't throwing this up to provoke. The line in the book caught me and also when my sister travelled USA she said San Diego was "so much better than LA"

Comment

Joking apart I have enjoyed visits to LA but I think I prefer San Diego. Seems friendlier somehow. To me, anyway.

Comment

I increasingly feel like I talk as if I'm one of SNL's Californians "I'm going through LA, and don't know whether to take the 73 to the 405, or head straight up the 5, or the 15 to the 215 and cut across on 210 because it has HOV all the way..."

Anyone who thinks the water in the ocean in San Diego is warm enough for swimming is crazy. It's warmer than it should be right now, and is still only 67F (19C). It's not English Channel cold, but it's not quite like lounging around in the Med or Caribbean. All of California's ocean water comes down from Alaska and is distinctly nippy.

Comment

Gero, the lavender section on the map is the City of Los Angeles. The other bits are outside the city limits. The large majority are incorporated, but some are not.

Comment

The La Brea tar pits were ace. My favourite thing in LA.

Would prefer to go back to San Diego though.

Whenever I get stressed driving I tell myself "I drove in LA. I drove in LA." And that gives me some nice perspective.

Comment

Can you imagine? Inca drives in LA every day and is still somehow both sane, and a nice person.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                      I increasingly feel like I talk as if I'm one of SNL's Californians "I'm going through LA, and don't know whether to take the 73 to the 405, or head straight up the 5, or the 15 to the 215 and cut across on 210 because it has HOV all the way..."

Anyone who thinks the water in the ocean in San Diego is warm enough for swimming is crazy. It's warmer than it should be right now, and is still only 67F (19C). It's not English Channel cold, but it's not quite like lounging around in the Med or Caribbean. All of California's ocean water comes down from Alaska and is distinctly nippy.
                                      For the water, well, it's swimmable from July through September, and the sun is very strong, SD being further south than Casablanca or Damascus. It's the only place in California where I felt comfortable being in the water for an extended period of time.

Comment

The water on the Atlantic Andaluz Spanish coast (Tarifa) is the best I’ve ever swum in. But there’s at least 30 seconds of Birr, county Offaly before adjusting. Generally wading in till your nads get wet. Then it’s just perfect in the sun. Don’t really like soupy warm (like much of the Med) in comparison.
                                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 23-06-2018, 03:12.

Comment

Working...
                                        X