X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beat me to it

Performance for the ages from AVV

Comment

It was that very final little ramp that did it - AvdB was pedalling squares up it and the lead went up in smoke.

Comment

"Bosses, we need the Women's Tour de France," says Eurosport, "The riders are there, the crowds are there ... ASO, are you watching?"

Comment

Thought van de Breggen might have been in the wrong gear on that ramp. Also think this is a different finish from when they've been to Le Grand Bornand before, pretty sure they usually drop off the climb and finish in the centre of the village (somewhere round where they hairpin past the church with about 3k left), so that ramp is new for the men later.

Comment

Has any cyclist ever had a better week that AVV just completed?

Comment

Oi, that cheered me up. Had no idea it was on, turned on Tiz out of habit and there were 2km to go. Super stuff.

Ursus, I'm guessing the answer is no and it is probably something to do with the Gira Rosa and please don't spoil any further as I haven't caught up with said race yet!

I'm calling today's TdF stage as one for the puncheurs, or possibly even the break if there are some strong riders involved. GC contenders will be too wary to go all in imo. Would be great to see Jungels do one of his charges.

Comment

My lips are sealed, moth.

There are 45-50 minute broadcasts of each stage with (unintentionally funny) Italian commentary on YouTube. Annoyingly, they begin with 10-15 minutes of dead air, but do eventually start.

The same source (PMG Sport) have five minute highlights of each stage, and then there are the official UCI highlights (w/English commentary) of about seven minutes each.
                Last edited by ursus arctos; 17-07-2018, 11:18.

Comment

Oh brilliant; I watched the stage 1 TTT in that format on a Facebook link, but couldn't find the following stages; I've got them now. Cheers.

Comment

Getting ahead of myself but if we do get a women's TdF of, say, 10 stages, there could be scheduling issues with the women's Giro, which has had its early/mid-July slot for some time.

Comment

What's funny is that it could happily sit in the calendar at the same time as the men are riding the Giro...

Comment

I have rather apparent biases, but I actually like having the Giro Rosa as the premier stage race for the women.

Comment

Landa having problems in the neutral rollout.

Comment

Landa changing bikes 7km from the départ réel

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Has any cyclist ever had a better week that AVV just completed?
                              It was 11 days between Wiggins winning the 2012 Tour de France and his Olympic gold, which isn't quite as close together, granted...

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                I have rather apparent biases, but I actually like having the Giro Rosa as the premier stage race for the women.
                                It's well established and has the audience due to Italian TV. Women's TdF can't displace it and would be unwise to want to.

Comment

Indeed, I agree - and I think there would be something neat about the men and women having their two biggest tours at the same time, but in the other country.

Comment

Problem with having a women's TdF in mid-late May is that there's no guarantee that the high mountain passes would be open. Dauphine sometimes cuts it pretty fine and has a tendency to avoid the really big climbs to be safe.

Re good weeks, a couple that spring to mind. Armstrong "winning" four stages and the GC in the last week of the 2004 Tour, or Sean Kelly in April 1986 when he was runner up in Flanders, won three stages and the overall at Pais Vasco then took Paris - Roubaix.

Pippa York is on ITV today, btw.

Comment

Cofidis rider trying to do something? That's a paddlin'.

Comment

A counterview that the Giro Rosa's timing (and other aspects of it's organisation) are a hindrance and not a help:- https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/c...elevant-386843

Comment

Thanks, longeared.

I like the Kelly comparison because it includes travel. Evidently, AVV had an eight hour coach journey to get her ( and the team) to the start.

Comment

Funny split we've got here, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                              A counterview that the Giro Rosa's timing (and other aspects of it's organisation) are a hindrance and not a help:- https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/c...elevant-386843
                                              Cheers Janik, an interesting read.

Comment

The break is apparently:

Tony Gallopin (AG2R), Elie Gesbert and Amaël Moinard (Fortuneo-Samsic), Ion Izagirre (Bahrain-Merida), Jack Bauer and Daryl Impey (Mitchelton-Scott), Greg Van Avermaet (BMC), Julian Alaphilippe and Philippe Gilbert (Quick Step), Peter Sagan and Lukas Pöstlberger (Bora-Hansgrohe), Serge Pauwels and Tom-Jelte Slagter (Dimension Data), David Gaudu, Rudy Molard and Arthur Vichot (Groupama-FDJ), Robert Gesink (LottoNL-Jumbo), Lilian Calmejane and Rein Taaramäe (Direct Energie), Guillaume Martin and Thomas Degand (Wanty-Groupe Gobert).

But now we're hitting the first cat.1 climb of the Tour.
                                                Last edited by Kevin S; 17-07-2018, 12:32.

Comment

First appearance of a Chicago Cubs "Fly the W" flag.

Well played

Comment

Groups all over the road today, lovely stuff. I think G Martin might be in line for the white jersey today.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X