No announcement yet.

Costa Bra VAR: Brazil v Costa Rica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not running to the ref, are you kidding? Well, Ok- he saved it for a private one-to-one in the tunnel

Comment

"but which also requires an enormous amount of prejudice to hate him for outright."

It's not the only reason I hate him, though I'm prepared to lie and say it is to pass a few hours on the internet.

Comment

Neymar got a fractured vertebrae against colombia. That was really horrible, but perhaps a byproduct of Brazil running around like lunatics kicking the shit out of anything that moved in the knowledge that no-one would get sent off, and would only pick up a booking in the most extreme circumstances. (see thiago silva blocking an ospina goal kick) brazil committed 31 fouls in that game, to Colombia's 23, but I would probably have added a few to that. This plan worked really well for them in the confederations cup, and it was going great guns, until the colombians revealed a flair for the old ultra violence themselves, and then the germans drove a combine harvester right over them.

Comment

In my years of watching football, you do get a pretty good idea of a player's personality by observing their behaviour on the pitch.
          I've had these preliminary psychological hypotheses confirmed on the odd occasion when I've met or interacted with players - the mouthy ones on the pitch are usually the most loquacious off it, the timid ones likewise. And the ones who act like a cunt on the pitch, well, guess what?

Comment

I don't think there have been many games I've wanted Serbia to win. Obviously, against Brazil, I'd support them automatically if resigned to disappointment. On Wednesday I'll be fervent in my hopes, and justified in entertaining these hopes.

Comment

I have found Brazil more likeable here than in 2014, which is not difficult but still progress.

I think on Neymar I would say his personality is in the eye of the beholder. We read a lot into very limited evidence. He's been in a media bubble since a young age which means you can't judge him as if he were able to see himself from the outside. Narcissism is inevitable in a person that exposed to such extreme expectation.

The emotional response is, I think, because football is so subject to chance. Yesterday the line between 0-0 and 2-0 was slim. 0-0 might have brought down the same shit on the team as the 7-1, even though they would still be in it with 2 points. He had missed a sitter earlier (by his standards) but got redemption with a tap-in in the 8th minute of added time. He knows he will spend the time between games on the treatment table, arguably the most kicked Brazilian in a World Cup since Pele in 1966 or 1970 (Zico and Ronaldo may rival that). The failure of referees to protect creative players in this tournament has been appalling.

Brazil winning the whole thing would not bother me if they played the best football of the KO stages, which could still happen. They are likely to have a tougher path than in their last three wins.
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-06-2018, 01:27.

Comment

The idea proposed on this thread that Brazil are the victims of unkind refereeing is absurd.

Comment

I am a little more stoned than your phrasing, but yes... I hate Brazil, because I can. And, you know, they should always wear the blue shorts, thing. Fuck 'em. I never liked them. Bastardos. See, they've even started me thinking in Brazilian!"
                  x

Comment

Oh, and fuck Pele. I always preferred a haircut and a glossy right foot. Jx

Comment

(Exeunt pursued by a bear)

Comment

Originally posted by bix80
                        The standards do seem to be set at a different level for Brazil as a whole, and Neymar particularly. Always guilty of cheating, diving, faking until proven guilty.

He's fouled ten times? He asked for it.
                        His shirt is pulled minutes into the World Cup? No problem.
                        He's rugby tackled defending a corner? Forget about it.
                        He needs surgery after the game against Colombia in 2014? Let's talk exclusively about the (unacceptable) treatment given to Rodriguez (who did not end up on an operating table) instead.
                        Yeah, the bastard dived so hard every time yesterday that he managed several holes in his socks.
                        (that's Neymar with his back towards us talking to Marcelo)

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                          The idea proposed on this thread that Brazil are the victims of unkind refereeing is absurd.
                          I think that's a straw man. Creative players generally are suffering from lack of protection. Neymar is the most clear example to date but there have been others.

Comment

I was referring to Bix80's lament at 20:11 yesterday.

Comment

Some players have taken to cutting holes in their socks to prevent calf muscle injury and delay fatigue. Gareth Bale has certainly done this in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if Neymar was also a follower of this fashion, looks a bit odd, two similar sized holes on both legs.

Comment

Working...
                              X