• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No luck for Peru in this tournament.

Comment

So close...

Comment

Oh my! Peru may have the best "almost goals" of the tournament, but are probably going home.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
          I hope Aunt Lucy is enjoying this one in the home for retired bears in Lima.
          I'm sure Mr Curry is playing for France.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            The gold trim on the shoulders of Peru’s kit is off-putting.
            A rare misstep from Umbro's Peruvian kits. Besides the national team, their Peruvian club shirts are usually gorgeous.

Comment

Bah, I'm going home. They aren't going to score.

Comment

I love this peroxide wave down the Peruvian right
                Last edited by ad hoc; 21-06-2018, 16:31.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  I love this peroxide wave down the Peruvian right
                  Indeed! It bothered me when Carrillo was on the left for the most of the first half.

Comment

Timewasting to pull the 1-0 against Peru over the finish line. Classless amateurs. May Iceland twat them in the second round.

Comment

To be fair, France put a couple of efforts on goal in stoppage time.

But not much there to get excited about.

Comment

France should drop giroud, and go with dembele, Griezman and mbappe up front, and just ping the ball around, and run around quite fast. I understand the theory behind picking a big target man in that formation, but giroud is not Harry Kane, or Didier Drogba.

I find myself uncomfortable with the tendency of a lot of pundits, to blame France not dominating games, pretty much entirely on the character of their players rather than on them not really having a coherent plan. which after 6 years in the job is on Deschamps. Peru would seem on the face of it to be a much better coached team than France. it's a pity that they are out, because Peru are definitely in the top 16 teams at the tournament.
                        Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 21-06-2018, 17:04.

Comment

On the other hand, he can point to two victories from the first two matches.

This, it seems, is all that really matters.

Comment

Giroud is Nicklas Bendtner with a better beard.

I'm very much liking Patrice Evra's bow tie.

Comment

Good post TAB.

Jah, the primary goal is to qualify for the next stage, but you also want to build some momentum and have your team and tactics sorted, areas where Deschamps hasn't delivered. I don't think he's well-suited for this France personnel.

Comment

Listen, I agree with you - and I agree with those critical of Deschamps's side thus far - but the reality is that he's qualified them for the knockouts in two matches.

With all the talent at his disposal, I'd like to see far more from France. Maybe this will happen when we hit the business rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                  Giroud is Nicklas Bendtner with a better beard.
                                  TLMG saw him on the Eurostar once, and assures me that in addition to being dead handsome and that, he smells lovely.

Apart from that, fuck the World Cup and fuck FIFA.

Comment

Peru going home, after a two page thread, what a let-down.

They survive the interminable South American qualifying, the interventions of lawyers and points deductions, then the intercontinental play-offs, the "will he won't he" Guerrero saga, and finally ... it's over within a week. After 36 years. Ouch.

Comment

Must be a really long flight from Moscow to Lima. Quick check: not all that bad, under 18h journey on Air France, a stop at CDG with just enough time to pick up a bottle of red and an almond croissant.

Comment

Didn't watch it, was swimming. Forgot to record it too. Very sad for my Incas boys, I'm sure they deserved more than going out like that after 36 yrs of absence.

Was it Titicaca versus Pipi Caca (= was it shit?) or was it a pleasant game?
                                        (Ami(e)s de la poésie, bonsoir)

Comment

Ce monde est caca, pipi- cacapipitaliste (MC Solaar)

Comment

My wife has recently started to learn French properly (with a view to take French citizenship in a few yrs' time, there's a language exam now), she is not really into languages so she finds it hard to motivate herself but she loves music (plays a few instruments) and wants to improve her French that way (via culture, music etc.) so as part of her learning activities, to engage her a bit more I'm making her listen to various things and study the lyrics, one of them being MC Solaar's Bouge de là, his big hit (1991) with Qui sème le vent récolte le tempo. She loves it and listens to it in the car all the time now while trying to sing along. The words are easy to understand and the tune is catchy so she doesn't mind. Although we're not sure the exam will feature words/phrases and verlan such as "fatma chelou", "charclo" or "seins". You probably know that song:

Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 23-06-2018, 08:16.

Comment

Peru seem to be equally as good as Denmark. Not sure they are better, though.

Comment

Working...
                                              X