DOGSO pre-DOGSO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOGSO pre-DOGSO

Any good examples of when players could get away with blatant fouls on attackers who were clean through? I just came across this one from a Polish keeper against England in a Euro 92 qualifier

which put me in mind of the crucial Koeman foul in the USA 94 qualifiers.

So yes, back in the early 90's you could get away with a yellow card for these as long as the foul wasn't violent, I think. So there's to be no Solskjaer DOGSO on this thread, as he was given his marching orders. We're looking for players who blatantly got away with it.

I always remember Willie Young bringing down Paul Allen in the 1980 Cup Final. It was a big deal because much had been made of Allen being the youngest player to appear in a Cup Final, or something, and Young had destroyed the chance of a fairy-tale ending.

Comment

That Koeman clip is amazing. A free-kick was given, right? But although the foul starts outside the penalty area, it continues and is fully executed a good three yards inside the area - which is a penalty (unless the laws were different back then on that score too).

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
        That Koeman clip is amazing. A free-kick was given, right? But although the foul starts outside the penalty area, it continues and is fully executed a good three yards inside the area - which is a penalty (unless the laws were different back then on that score too).
        Even back then it should've been a penalty and (probably) a red card.

Assenmacher was the ref, I'll always remember his name.

Comment

Ah, my bad then!

Comment

On the top one, is the defender going to intercept and that gets the keeper off the hook?

Comment

WTF is DOGSO?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                I always remember Willie Young bringing down Paul Allen in the 1980 Cup Final. It was a big deal because much had been made of Allen being the youngest player to appear in a Cup Final, or something, and Young had destroyed the chance of a fairy-tale ending.
                Oof.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                  WTF is DOGSO?
                  Denial Of Goal Scoring Opportunity.

Comment

Is DOGSO a thing, or did you make it up?

Comment

It's a thing you sometimes see in the comments on You Are The Ref. Saves a fair number of letters.

Comment

I'm not sure about it, Kevin. Not sure at all. I also think the SO of DOGSO makes you think of SENT OFF, which makes the DOG part a real puzzle.

Comment

Imp uses it in his blog. It appears to be standard jargon among the refereeing community.

Denis Smith on Chris Garland, 1972 League Cup Final:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-1LR4EZcw8#t=8m53s

You won't be needing your legs, will you, mate?

Comment

DOGSO sounds like half of Judge Reinhold's job title in Beverly Hills Cop 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                              Imp uses it in his blog. It appears to be standard jargon among the refereeing community.

Denis Smith on Chris Garland, 1972 League Cup Final:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-1LR4EZcw8#t=8m53s

You won't be needing your legs, will you, mate?

Amazing how, as with the 1980 one, the commentators get excited about the fact that a player is being booked for it: "And the book is coming out" or "A thoroughly deserved yellow card".

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                                Even back then it should've been a penalty and (probably) a red card.

Assenmacher was the ref, I'll always remember his name.
                                Was he not booted off the Fifa list after that game?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                  Amazing how, as with the 1980 one, the commentators get excited about the fact that a player is being booked for it: "And the book is coming out" or "A thoroughly deserved yellow card".
                                  I also like the way Smith points into the referee's notebook as his name is being taken. I'm assuming that was correcting "One 'n' in Denis". All very chummy.

Comment

Jack Charlton got booked for a very blatant handball in the 66 World Cup semi v Portugal. A certain red card nowadays

Comment

He got sent of for one in the FA Cup Semi against Everton.

Comment

Ah, but Eusebio scored the penalty (in Eng v Por), so he didn't really get away with it.

Comment

Kempes did a handball on the line v Poland in 1978

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=klBY-ZmyesI
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-06-2018, 12:25.

Comment

On my phone so if someone can YouTube probably the greatest non keeper save ever by Mel Machin (Norwich v aston villa league cup final 75)

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                              On my phone so if someone can YouTube probably the greatest non keeper save ever by Mel Machin (Norwich v aston villa league cup final 75)
                                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXNSfZI63HU

You're right, that is a superb save for a full-back.

Comment

I take it we're not including Schmacher's assault on Battiston as a) it's too obvious, and b) Schumacher should have got the jail, let alone a red card?

Comment

And considering how many Peru fans are around,Ramon Quirogas more amusing assault on Poland's Lato in the 78 world cup

Comment

Working...
                                                  X