The Athletic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Athletic

I think this might have been already discussed here, but I can't find where now. Anyway, anyone bought a subscription to this? Worth it? They have a deal as they've expanded their Los Angeles coverage.

I've been a subscriber since they first started covering the Cubs and am very, very, pleased, but also feel that they are focused on a number of disparate topics that I happen to be interested in.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. They hired some pretty good Dodgers writers, and hopefully the Lakers will be worth reading more coverage on next year. Though I am hoping that the LA Times' sports coverage under the new leadership can get somewhat back to what it once was.

Comment

I have it, it's pretty good.

Their coverage can be patchy in terms of certain cities and sports (I think they're much weaker on NBA and NFL than MLB or NHL, thanks to hiring LeBrun and Rosenthal among others), but they're plugging in holes on an near-daily basis.

Comment

I've been on a £1-a-month subscription deal with the Athletic for the last year and went to cancel today because I just don't use it enough to justify paying full price, and was offered the chance to renew for another year at £9.99. Given the normal price of an annual subscription is £59.99 and paying monthly at the full price for a year would set you back over £95, that seems a ridiculously generous offer.

I'm wondering if they're struggling to retain subscribers at the moment, or are they just perhaps the Domino's pizza of sports media, i.e. nobody ever actually pays full price?

Comment

It comes free with a NY times online subscription these days. NYT basically replaced its sports section with the Athletic.

Comment

They did that to crush the union. Fuck that.

Comment

They are struggling to retain subscribers, particularly those who don't have or want New York Times subscriptions.

They are also struggling to maintain an identity.

The belief among a lot of USian media executives is that 18-35 year old men simply don't read, and prefer to consume video whenever they aren't driving,

And as that is the primary/only demographic that these people care about, the future of written sports journalism in this country is bleak.

Comment

I’m part of that problem. When it had a lot of hockey writers, it was sort of useful, but that seems to be disappearing.

I get more out of podcasts and TSN/Sportsnet.

Comment

They did hoover up a few of my favourite football writers over here when they started out, which is why I've subscribed off and on when they've had good deals on, but I wonder how long they'll be able to keep the level of staff that they have here if people aren't using it much. I do like the increasing amount of coverage they give women's football – just hope people are actually reading the articles.

Comment

I've got a subscription but I might drop it at renewal. Although it is my main source for proper writing on football and the NHL. It's good stuff, but the amount of clickbait has risen significantly recently.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        They are struggling to retain subscribers, particularly those who don't have or want New York Times subscriptions.

They are also struggling to maintain an identity.

The belief among a lot of USian media executives is that 18-35 year old men simply don't read, and prefer to consume video whenever they aren't driving,

And as that is the primary/only demographic that these people care about, the future of written sports journalism in this country is bleak.
                        Not only then...

Comment

Originally posted by Plodder View Post

Not only then...
                          American sports fans have a long history of consuming audio sports content while driving.

Comment

I like it, despite them canning the O's beat writer and shuttling out the Isles one twice now. I don't mind paying full price for it, and have been since way before the NYT sellout. I've picked up a good bit more NHL and CFB knowledge from them.

Comment

Working...
                            X