The Hallowed Turf of Brexit Central - Europa League 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    Any good football happening in this thing tonight then?
    Depends on how you define "good", but Celtic are playing decent football tonight.

Comment

Dudelange drawing with Milan at HT - does it say more about the rise of Luxembourg, or the decline of Serie A?

Comment

I can't hear the name Dudelange without thinking of Dexy's version of Jackie Wilson Said.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          I can't hear the name Dudelange without thinking of Dexy's version of Jackie Wilson Said.
          Exactly this

Comment

Vorskla score with *literally* the last kick of the game. There's something very satisfying about a referee blowing for full time immediately after a goal, rather than making everyone trudge back out of custom.

Comment

Result of the night, although in a dire game, must be Spartak Trnava (Pot 4) beating Anderlecht (Pot 1) with the only shot of the match. Slavia Prague were, I think, the only other Pot 4 side to get a win (v Bordeaux, Pot 2), although Rangers got a 2-2 away draw at Villareal (Pot 1).

However, if this is the standard of the second tier competition, who the fuck is going to watch the proposed 3rd tier one? US TV is ignoring it until the final, presumably based on previous viewing figures.

OTOH it throws up chances to find out some competition history. I had no idea until just now that Spartak Trnava had made a European Cup semi-final in 1968-69.
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-09-2018, 00:10.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                Sacrilege to Van Morrison fans as he wrote the original but that was not the chorus he sang.

Comment

The main interest at this stage is to discover European club names you hadn't heard of before, followed by the disappointment of realizing that you had. "MOL Vidi", you're not fooling anyone.

Also to look for rude hashtags, though the Premier league already scores with #ARSCHE. Could be this season's final, I suppose.

Comment

To be precise, US Anglo television is ignoring the competition.

Univision broadcast several matches today on its stations and had more available on line.

There's a bit of nostalgia for me in watching European club competition exclusively in Spanish. It's how life was in the 80s and 90s (when we only get the Finals).

Comment

Olympique Marseille is scratching its collective head this morning and wondering how in the name of fuck it lost that game to a ten-man Eintracht. I can't remember who was in which pot, but it should definitely qualify as a shock. Marseille's coach can at least watch the late Eintracht winner and garner enough material for his next ten coaching sessions under the rubric 'Defending as a Team'.

Comment

Comment

Arsenal beating FC Carrier bag while wearing red shorts with their usual home/first kit. Their opponents are in all black.

Comment

Celtic 1-0 up after 2 minutes, lose two within 5 minutes and are behind 2-1 with about 30 minutes to go.

Not watching it, but they (Celtic) seem to be being absolutely battered.

Comment

If the Olympiakos players hadn't been such selfish twits, they would've been 0-3 up by now. Instead, Milan draw level.

Comment

I'm getting really bored of turning on television matches, and not being able to tell which team is which by the colour of their shirts. Particularly when one of those teams is Arsenal. And to make it worse, Arsenal seem to be wearing their main kit. Why has it all gone so weird so quickly?

Comment

3-1 to Fizzy Saltberg. Penalty.

Comment

Frankfurt - Lazio so far has delivered on the entertainment front. Three goals, controversy over a handball in the build-up for the 1-1, the goalkeeper going bonkers at the injustice of it all gets booked, excellent work by Haller to set up the 2-1. It's been a good 35 minutes.

Comment

Loftus-Cheek there, definitely not diving because he's English and English players never lower themselves to the antics of the dirty continentals.

Comment

Lazio's #8 Basta decides to live up to his name and gets himself stupidly sent off in injury time of the first half. Both his yellows were utterly unnecessary and also correctly given.

Comment

How are the clubs who came through the Champions route faring so far?

Comment

Ross Barkley appears to have been replaced by a life-size Action Man.

Comment

Rangers beat Rapid Vienna 3-1.

Serious gloating in Glasgow.

Comment

Realised that the four British clubs in this competition are four of the most unpleasant clubs in the land. Just missing West Ham from those who could've qualified from it being a total twat-fest...

Comment

I'm flattered.

Comment

Ah, if only you'd made it to the groups. At least then I'd've had someone I could follow.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X