The Hallowed Turf of Brexit Central - Europa League 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    Do you know if this is the case for all EL games?.No walk-ups any more? If so, and especially in matches with no obvious security risk, what on earth is UEFA's thinking here?
    I'm curious about that one too- it's certainly not the case at all EL/CL games. I wonder if it was just an excuse for the club to avoid some perceived risk of away fans infiltrating the home areas, because there's nothing in the UEFA rule book to stop a club having an open sale to non-members

Comment

I've no idea why, but the club cited UEFA rules when selling tickets for both home games.

As for why Basaksehir didn't sell tickets to their own fans, it was a decision made by them. Reading between the lines there appears to have been some arguments going on between the two clubs. First Basaksehir asked for a six figure fee to allow the game to be broadcast back to Turf Moor, the collection point was announced last minute and when the game did happen the ISDN line for audio commentary via Clarets Player failed to work, leading to it being broadcast via a mobile phone. Apparently the FA official who travelled to Istanbul with the club has put a complaint in to UEFA. The clubs media guy described it as an "utterly mad two weeks".

Comment

As antepli has mentioned before, Basasksehir is a relatively new club with relatively few fans and close ties to Erdogan’s regime.

I would be shocked if they have anywhere near the expatriate support of the Big Three or Trabzonspor.

Comment

It wasn't that they didn't sell any tickets, Basaksehir specifically said they weren't going to even offer them to their supporters. No one was expecting any huge numbers but any travelling support was going to be made welcome.

Comment

I was trying to suggest that they don’t really have any traveling supporters

Comment

I know, but I think that even one person would have wanted to make the trip.

Comment

It would clash rather strongly with Erdogan’s pleas for people to covert all of their foreign currency into Lira and sell their foreign electronics.

In Germany, you often get supporters of Turkish clubs other than the one facing German opposition in European matches, but I don’t think that kind of solidarity extends to Istanbul BB.

You won’t have this problem with the Greeks.

Comment

Olympiakos 1-0 Burnley after 20 minutes. Fortunis from a free kick.

Comment

1-1. Wood penalty. Sounded a soft one.

Comment

2-1 to Olympiakos after 48'. Boucholakis.

Comment

Pelanty for Olympiakos. Gibson sent off for second yellow (handball). 3-1.

Comment

Thought that looked rather harsh, both the penalty and second yellow.

Comment

Penalty, yes. Second yellow, bollocks.

https://twitter.com/ElevenSports_UK/status/1032709933517742082

Edit: Finished 3-1.

Comment

Yeah on second look it was a penalty, but harsh red.

Best of luck for second leg.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                As antepli has mentioned before, Basasksehir is a relatively new club with relatively few fans and close ties to Erdogan’s regime.

I would be shocked if they have anywhere near the expatriate support of the Big Three or Trabzonspor.
                                Can I just flag this? I hope Antepli (etc) is well.

Comment

Some people on the pitch...they think it's Sudova. It is now (hopefully)

Comment

Seems that Clarets fans came away from Athens with just the one stabbing and four other injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                      Seems that Clarets fans came away from Athens with just the one stabbing and four other injuries.
                                      I've been reading about it on the Up the Clarets forum. Fans were told to only use the official laid on coaches to get to the ground and not to use taxi's or the metro. One group of fans took a taxi and after the driver had taken their fare and let them out, he shouted to some people that they were English fans and they got attacked.

Comment

The away goal gives Burnley a chance. The Old Firm pair both look well placed; I can't recall when they were both in the group stages.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          The away goal gives Burnley a chance. The Old Firm pair both look well placed; I can't recall when they were both in the group stages.
                                          Both played the CL groups in 2003-04 and 2007-08. First year of the EL groups Celtic were in the EL groups and Rangers in the CL groups, 2009-10. Celtic didn't make either group stage the following season, then Rangers disappeared off a cliff.

Comment

The team currently occupying the 13th spot in the top Luxemburgian league is about to qualify for the Europa League group stage.

Comment

Clarets have missed enough chances to be three up at halftime. This has heroic effort in defeat written all over it.

Comment

Vokes hits a terrific curling shot that pings back off the post.

Burnley aren't scoring tonight, luck is just against them.

Comment

So much for reverse psychology.

Comment

Clarets really genuinely should be 4 or 5 up by now. And fall to the inevitable breakaway. When it ain’t happening, it really ain’t happening.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X