The Hallowed Turf of Brexit Central - Europa League 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Some teams are potentially going to play in all 3 competitions in a season. If they drop out of the CL qualifiers but get into the EL groups, the article suggests 3rd placed teams in the EL groups will parachute again into the knockout rounds in the EL2.
    e.g. Celtic, Rangers

But, as noted above, the "parachute" points from this competition could make it harder for smaller nations to get up the rankings
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-12-2018, 14:53.

Comment

BBC: "The Europa League will be halved in size to 32 teams"

Er, no, it'll be cut by a third from 48 to 32

"an extra play-off round between the group stage and last 16."

A good move because it gives a bye to group winners, but is also favours the 3rd placed CL teams who now would only get a group RU in the EL1 last 32

"At least 34 countries will have teams in a group stage, compared to 26 at the moment."

But the EL2 groups will have no potential "glamour" ties for anyone outside the top 15 leagues, who will now never play a CL 3rd placed team in the EL.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-12-2018, 15:06.

Comment

Domestic Cup winners (or 7th in the Premier League) can only play in EL2 and must play a qualifying round to make the group stage. See format here.

I infer that there will only 5 places for champions, and these will come from play-offs between the 5 survivors of the 20 losers who are dropped in from ECLQ1 and 5 losers from the Europa League third qualifying round for champions

I'm not sure how UEFA get 34 countries guaranteed of a place in at least one of the three group stages. It certainly can't be 34 champions, can it?
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-12-2018, 17:44.

Comment

A huge deflection just took Olympiacos 2-0 up against AC Milan, which was the goal they need to put Milan out. But from the next corner, Zapata immediately strikes back.

If Olympiacos score once more, they go through with equal head-to-head record than Milan but a better overall goal difference.

Comment

oh wow, Craig Gordon.

Comment

Abate bearhugs Torosidis at an Olympiacos corner. The ref spots it, gives the penalty it deserves, and Fortounis duly convert. With ten minutes to go, Milan are on their way out.

Comment

hahaha. Celtic go through thanks to Rosenborg getting a draw in Leipzig. It took seven minutes for the celtic fans to find out that there was an equalizer in the other game

Comment

And Olympiacos hold on. Several ball boys and/or fans went a bit overboard at the end with throwing at least a dozen extra balls on the field, plus a flare behind the goal in which Milan still had to score.

Comment

Dudelange score a point on behalf of Luxembourg in a dead rubber against Betis Sevilla. I'd celebrate that if I were them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                      Dudelange score a point on behalf of Luxembourg in a dead rubber against Betis Sevilla. I'd celebrate that if I were them.
                      I wouldn't call them "Betis Sevilla" if you're in that part of the city, if I were you.

Comment

Under the 2021-22 format, Milan, Rangers and the other 3rd placed sides would have a parachute into the EL2 extra-playoff round where they would play the EL2 group runners-up. That's a kinda perverse incentive because Rangers-level sides have a better chance of winning EL2 (or going quite far in the knock-out phase) than getting anywhere in the EL1 knock-outs.

OTOH Rangers probably would not be in EL1 due to Scotland being below the top 15 leagues so this is shuffling the deckchairs stuff.

Comment

Draw is on Monday.
                          4 Spanish teams, 3 Italian, 2 English, Portuguese, German, Belgian, Turkish, Ukraine, Czech, Russian, Austrian; 1 Croatian, Belarusian, French, Greek, Swiss, Swedish and Scottish.

Seeded teams
                          Arsenal (ENG), Bayer Leverkusen (GER)
                          Benfica (POR)*, Chelsea (ENG)
                          Dinamo Zagreb (CRO), Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
                          Eintracht Frankfurt (GER) Genk (BEL)
                          Internazionale Milano (ITA)* Napoli (ITA)*
                          Real Betis (ESP), Salzburg (AUT)
                          Sevilla (ESP), Valencia (ESP)*
                          Villarreal (ESP), Zenit (RUS)

Unseeded teams
                          BATE (BLS), Celtic (SCO) Club Brugge (BEL)*
                          Fenerbahçe (TUR), Galatasaray (TUR)*
                          Krasnodar (RUS), Lazio (ITA), Malmö (SWE)
                          Olympiacos (GRE), Rapid Wien (AUT), Rennes (FRA)
                          Sporting CP (POR), Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)*
                          Slavia Praha (CZE), Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)*
                          Zürich (SUI)

* CL dropouts

Comment

I think if I could only watch one football competition it would be this one. Entertaining mix of quality drama and comedy, always delivers, especially in the group stage.

My promiscuous but all-important allegiance has now shifted to Rennes. I hope they appreciate that.

Comment

Napoli to go all the way this year..? They seem to always switch off in the last stretch. Maybe the fact Juve will have won the league well in advance means they can focus on it.

'Anyone but Arse-Chel' obviously and I'd describe my ambivalent feelings about Old Firm success if there was anything like a remote chance of Celtic going much further.

Comment

How were the seedings determined - coefficients?

Comment

I thought it was a mini league table of the 8 CL third place teams, based on points in their groups.

Comment

Seeded teams are the Europa League group winners and four best Champions League dropouts

Comment

yeah, too busy counting the fingers on your right hand. (Sorry. To AIATL)

Comment

Working...
                                      X