No announcement yet.

Russia v Egypt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loving the Russia threads. Truly magnificent work, OTF.

So, I think I should share this
    https://audioboom.com/posts/6902952-...ussian-history

Comment

Two years today since Wales hammered Russia 0-3 in Toulouse to knock them out of Euro 2016 winless in the group stages, what a turnaround.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
        Regardless of the opposition (and Egypt aren't that bad), the quality of Russia's finishing has been better than anyone expected - and more efficient than anyone else's, at least so far.

The group isn't the hardest, but - let's face it - they've been hustling us in the build-up to the tournament.
        I'm looking for the pun, but can't see it anywhere...

Comment

Thinking we were all Egypt fans as one, and looking for a sign, I discovered a new biscuit. After eating it with a glass of port, said to my friend Shah Mel "Sheikh" Alex and Rihanna "Hire a glee fix"

Now let this be an end to all that. (And tell me how many fucking awful puns I managed to cram into that)

Comment

https://twitter.com/kenearlys/status/1009352728441737217

Comment

I found myself relieved yesterday when Egypt were basically out because now I won't be hearing about Mo Salah for another three weeks straight.
              Chap's great, brilliant footballer, what Ramos caused was bastardic. But they've been banging on about Salah thousand times a minute here and pre-game yesterday I just wanted to shout at the telly in the end. It was mention of him constantly, like there was not a single other player in Egypt beside him and as if he's really done something beyond having one great season. Yet.
              I mean you'd think he was about to win the world cup all on his own like Maradona did.

I wish him the best and don't think he's a one season pony but it really has been like that one song you find fantastic, then when it's played too often you can't stand it any more if it continues being played, will get to appreciate it like before if you don't hear it for (quite) a while.

Comment

Is it just my own cynicism or do I detect a subtext of suspicion in garcia/Early's piece above?

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                  Two years today since Wales hammered Russia 0-3 in Toulouse to knock them out of Euro 2016 winless in the group stages, what a turnaround.
                  BINGO!

Comment

Ken was gurning on his Second Captains show because he chose to take a bus from hotel to ground in Sochi and had to stand the whole way (about 25km and 2 hours).

Which oddly reminded me of the story about Von Paulus (German commander at Siege of Stalingrad) who was served his Doberman Pinscher for Xmas dinner 1942

Comment

Is it just my own cynicism or do I detect a subtext of suspicion in garcia/Early's piece above?
                      No, it's not only you. It's not like they don't have a history of we-all-know-what

Comment

Ken's in russia huh

Comment

Locked himself in a bathroom at the Luzhniki within 48 hours . . .

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Locked himself in a bathroom at the Luzhniki within 48 hours . . .
                            Yeah. I buzzed off that. Marvellous stuff.

Comment

It's quite an unusual stat to focus on, isn't it? Letting his readers draw their own conclusions about why he would chose to highlight it...

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                Their Group is so incredibly fucking easy it's a joke. Saudi arabia are a shambles, and there's a reason Egypt haven't qualified since Italia 90. Uruguay are also a team that is possibly even slower than the Russians. that third goal was very neat indeed.
                                On paper this wasn't a bad group really. Uruguay finished 2nd in the CONMEBOL round robin and features a loaded roster, with Suarez and Cavani up front, about as good a strike force as you can find in this tournament. Egypt has been an African power with 4 appearances in the last 7 African cup finals, with 3 titles won. Arabia finished their quals on par with Japan and Oz. Russia made their group look bad, but that is to their credit.

Comment

Egypt just didn't turn up. They can't just blame the Salah injury but need to look at their whole approach in the two games. Why were they so off the pace and easily stretched? Why weren't they able to compete in the way that Iran and Senegal have done, who had been below them by reputation.

I'm not sure if it's North African football being a poor preparation for a World Cup, or it's the diaspora factor of many of them playing in European second and third tiers.

Comment

I see Mo Salah is now bessie mates with Ramzan Kadyrov. An honorary citizen of Chechnya, sat alongside Kadyrov yet again. Sergio Ramos's biggest mistake was to stop at Salah's shoulder.

Comment

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1010638074584469505?s=21

Comment

Working...
                                      X