Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reply with an unhelpful police captain …

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reply with an unhelpful police captain …

… or equivalent authority figure.

Our protagonist will ideally be male, overweight and wear a three-piece suit. And have a bottle of whisky in his desk drawer. Despite the detectives' matchless clear-up rate, he will be continually abrasive and unhelpful.

I'll start us off with Captain Dobie, Dr Aston and Lt Samuels.

Comment

More than usually preoccupied with whisky, aka 'a good scotch'...

Comment

"And if you foul this up Regan, it'll be the end of you in this force." (or words to that effect)

Comment

Mr Finkerton, who had an irrational dislike of his #1 detective, Inch High, Private Eye.

Comment

Major Yamauchi ponders returning to his hut for a quick Suntory from the desk drawer.

Comment

"Find whoever did this!"

"He did, Major. You told him to."

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                Major Yamauchi ponders returning to his hut for a quick Suntory from the desk drawer.
                The women were detectives and he was their boss? I got Tenko all wrong …

Comment

Yes, I can't see any other possible reading of the situation. Major Y reminded me a bit of Sir Dennis, the no-nonsense boss in revolutionary male/female 'tec pairing Terry & June.

Comment

"Shall we give him 24 hours to get a result, children?"

Comment

Supt. Mullet

Comment

Our protagonist will ideally be male, overweight and wear a three-piece suit. And have a bottle of whisky in his desk drawer. Despite the detectives' matchless clear-up rate, he will be continually abrasive and unhelpful.

Virtually any police authority in Murder She Wrote that instantly rolls his eyes (it's always a man) when Jessica Fletcher sticks her investigative nose in.

"Okay, Mrs. Fletcher, I guess you can hang around while we sort out the situation. You just go off and find vital clues while incisively making important case-changing discoveries while we just make surface decisions, immediately blame the wrong suspects, perform scant investigations and generally look as though we joined the police force a week ago, instantly undermining almost 30 years experience in the field. We'll be back at the station when you bring in the real murderer on cast-iron evidence."

Comment

Although he's generally more exasperated than unhelpful (and indeed returns our heroes to Detective status as a fuck you to IA).

Comment

Comment

Oddly enough, I came across EJO on Twitter the other day, vigorously celebrating Mexico's opening WC win.

Comment

DCS Strange. "OK Morse. I'll leave it with you but don't mess this up."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                    The women were detectives and he was their boss? I got Tenko all wrong …
                                    Alternatively...

Comment

DCS Strange. "OK matey. I'll leave it with you but don't mess this up."

Fixed.

Comment

Although not a police sergeant, James Bond's superior, M, also had an eternal bee in his bonnet about JB himself. Bond may have saved civilisation itself on numerous occasions, but that didn't stop M from talking to him as if he was a troublesome office junior who should fuck off and stop misbehaving. Destroyed a missile in space that could've sparked off WWIII? For god's sake, Bond, straighten your tie or I'll put you on suspension.

Comment

All of Harry Callaghan's bosses.

Capt. Mackay gets extra points for the kipper tie and waistcoat.

Comment

Inspector Todd caused Eddie Murphy no end of worry while he was tracking down bearer bonds in Beverly Hills.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                              DCS Strange. "OK matey. I'll leave it with you but don't mess this up."

Fixed.
                                              One of the best things about Endeavour is the back story between the Strange/Morse relationship, with them sharing a house at one point.

Comment

"You'll retire when I am ready, Crabbe."

(This might be subject to Copyright... I will take it down immediately, if so.)

Comment

Chief Quimby

Comment

Working...
                                                  X