No announcement yet.

Musicians Who Hated Each Other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce, from their days with the Graham Bond Organisation, through Cream and beyond. They didn't get on, to say the least.
    Rumour has it Bruce phoned Baker from his deathbed to say "I'm dying. Fuck you" before hanging up and dying shortly after, ensuring he had the last word.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young all seem to have had feuds with each other in various combinations and alliances over the years. Neil Young never comes out of it well.

Comment

After 10cc split they fell out badly. Now they don't talk at all. Gouldman is particularly bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
        Tina Weymouth still takes occasional public digs at David Byrne, thirty years after Talking Heads split up. And sometimes hubby Chris Frantz will do it on her behalf, talking about how Weymouth was mistreated rather than his own relationship with Byrne. However, I'm not sure this classifies as 'hated each other' as Byrne seems much less bothered about talking about Weymouth than vice versa.
        Byrne was on Marc Maron and pretty much just said "Yeah, they don't much like me." He seemed fine with them, though, if I recall.

Comment

Is this about musicians from the same band that hate each other or just musicians that generally hate each other?

If it's the latter, Dave Lee Roth hated Sammy Hagar even before the latter replaced the former as singer.

Twisted Sister actually offered to meet Manowar and Hanoi Rocks for a fight on the same day.

I seem to remember the 80s was full of interviews with Ian McCullouch, Pete Wylie and Mark E Smith slagging off anyone whose name was put in front of them (usually Bono)

Lennon and McCartney with the former's "How Do You Sleep?

Comment

Elvis Costello and Bruce Thomas of The Attractions. Costello's song 'How to be Dumb', which is directed at Thomas, matches 'How Do You Sleep' for out and out nastiness.

Comment

Dennis Wilson and Mike Love. Brian and Mike are distant but not to the point that existed with Dennis. Rivalry over women, Mike's musical choices and treatment of Brian, Dennis's substance abuse, but mainly just being opposite personalities.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

Lennon and McCartney with the former's "How Do You Sleep?
                A couple of years later Lennon did a song called 'Steel and Glass' which was an attack on former manager Allen Klein. In some of his last interviews, Lennon claimed that 'How Do You Sleep' and 'Steel and Glass' were both attacks on himself.

Comment

Dave Lee Roth hated Sammy Hagar even before the latter replaced the former as singer.
                  Fair.

Comment

I seem to remember the 80s was full of interviews with Ian McCullouch, Pete Wylie and Mark E Smith slagging off anyone whose name was put in front of them (usually Bono)
                    Didn't Mark E. Smith dislike nearly every ex-member of The Fall, Scanlon and Hanley notwithstanding?

Andrew Eldritch and Wayne Hussey.

Comment

'Mark E Smith and Everybody Else in the World (Musician or Otherwise)' would probably have sufficed.

Comment

Twisted Sister actually offered to meet Manowar and Hanoi Rocks for a fight on the same day.
                        That would have been the greatest thing ever, particularly if it was a three-way. You'd have to back Manowar. Twister Sister would be all yap, and Hanoi Rocks would fold quickly.

Comment

I can quite imagine a prancing Dee Snider, in full make-up, wrestling with Adrian Street or Kung Fu, or another of those UK bods from the seventies.

Robbie Williams offered Liam Gallagher into the ring for a £100k charity scrap, did he not? (The latter, of course, only throws punches at the undeserving - so it didn't happen.)

Comment

I could tell you some ridiculous stories from the Ant camp - actually a fair few others.

It just seems to be a regular thing, tensions + competing egos, long hours and almost no-one (no musicians, anyway) getting as much money as they think they should. Often, they're right about the latter.

Comment

Actually, Captain Sensible's one-sided feud with Adam gets right on my tits. He keeps on having pops at Adam - there's a line in "Wot" calling him an "ugly old pirate", and he's stilling bringing it up and having little digs at him. He went through a phase of claiming to want "to bury the hatchet" when Adam started gettting attention again. Never heard Adam refer to him, and their bands didn't have much to do with each other, apart from Adam fancying Dave Vanian's first wife. Marco used to hate the Damned because he claimed to hate almost everyone (especially the Clash) because they were "boring", but now he's all besties with Captain Sensible because they both hate Adam and I assume they're geeing each other up about it.

Adam only rants about people when his bipolar is acting up, the rest of the time he doesn't bother with feuds.

Comment

If it's the latter, Dave Lee Roth hated Sammy Hagar even before the latter replaced the former as singer.
                                Meanwhile both of them just pitied Gary Cherone... at least that's how it goes in my head.

Comment

Was told once that Sammy Hagar tried to call out Axl Rose after some comments about his, Hagar's taste in music, women, whatever. In a rare attack of sense Rose didn't show up. Hagar had been a fairly decent boxer in his youth.

Comment

Adam Ant vs Captain Sensible is up there with Bobby G and David van Day

Comment

Adam did actually have a fight with Sid Vicious back in the day.

I've probably said too much already, but I know of several skirmishes and threats that were a bit scary, but completely, hilariously ridiculous in the telling. Jah Wobble is a good source.

Comment

What? Ah yes, sorry...

The Wobble always struck me as 'a bit tasty' in that department - and I sort of saw it first hand when he slugged the late Sean Hughes during an NMTB warm-up during the nineties...

Comment

He squared up to Marco and was considering hitting him during a recording session in 2012 or so, the thought still makes me giggle.

Comment

It's a long list of people who (allegedly) gave Vicious a good kicking back in the day, apart from Bob Harris of course. A righty mouthy yet utterly useless shit....Vicious that is not Bob Harris.

Comment

He was very witty, if that’s a saving grace. I found him sweet but that was before I learned of his cat-killing.

(I also believe he most likely killed Nancy, which increasingly I find people unwilling to believe.)

Comment

Luke Haines hates a lot of people, including Matt Johnson and Justine Frischmann, but sticks up for Morrissey. I had someone bending my ear about “why the Servants split up” but can’t remember any of it as I don’t really know the people concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  I can quite imagine a prancing Dee Snider, in full make-up, wrestling with Adrian Street or Kung Fu, or another of those UK bods from the seventies.
                                                  I ran down the stairs at Wrexham's Racecourse Ground just before TS's debut gig only to be confronted by Dee Snider and Mark Mendoza's stomachs. Even though they were in platforms, I was 6 foot then and they towered over me and were built like brick shithouses. If Sweet were brickies in drag, then TS were American footballers in drag. I remember hoping that they couldn't read minds as I had been slagging them off from the look of them in their promo photos just a minute before. Don't forget that this was a band that played hundreds of gigs in bars in the tri-state area in full make-up and semi-drag. They didn't only offer out Hanoi Rocks and Manowar (who are tiny) but also the whole Reading audience. They lived up to the promise as well coming out from the backstage area and waiting for any takers. It's not big or clever (although they are big and, to a degree, clever) but at least they backed up their claims.

Ray De Galles actually went to the Hanoi Rocks/Manowar meet-up.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X