Originals spoiled by a cover version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    The Beatles version totally eclipses the good Isley Brothers' cover.
    I have to say that's the boat I'm in. The Beatles' version is one of my favourites of all theirs. It's John's performance that does it.

Comment

Hurts me to say it, but all of the covers The Seekers did of Peter, Paul, and Mary's covers of other songs.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bretwalda View Post
        Hurts me to say it, but all of the covers The Seekers did of Peter, Paul, and Mary's covers of other songs.
        Struggling to unravel that TB!
        Do you mean PP&M spoiled the originals and then the Seekers spoiled them more? Or PP&M did good covers which The Seekers spoiled? or PP&M spoiled the originals and then The Seekers rescued them back?

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
          The Great Bert Berns who wrote it had no trouble forgiving them though, having built a mansion with a guitar shaped swimming pool from the royalties.
          Oh sure. No one was better than Bert at maximising his catalog, nor would he have minded a jot about umpteen cover versions. No, for me it was personal, I was massively invested in the Isley's version — which got zero airplay in the UK — as only a fourteen-year-old could be. It was easy to dismiss the pitifully weak Brian Poole and the Tremeloes version, but then The Beatles came along and stole it, using their already massive popularity. It just wasn't fair!

Comment

I realise you're telling the story from the POV of your 14-year-old self, but when they recorded it, The Beatles were yet to become massive. And in Britain, Twist And Shout wasn't even released as a single.

Comment

No indeed, but it was, I'm sure, the biggest selling EP in the history of Great Britain and the Commonwealth to boot, and might as well have been a single for the attention it got. By that time, trust me, they were huge. Bigger than any domestic pop act ever. Post-Please, Please Me Beatlemania was in full swing, there was no stopping it.

Comment

Is it possible that I've spent 50 years thinking "Here Comes The Night" is the Stones, when it's actually Them?

Comment

I dunno. Is it?

Comment

Unless I can turn up evidence of the Stones doing 'Here Comes The Night', instead of Them doing a very good Stones impression of same....then I'd go with 'yes'.

Comment

I think the evidence would be scanty to none.

Them's version of HCTN is technically a cover itself. Bert Burns was in London with the song, but no one specifically in mind for it. Two versions were recorded, one by Them, the other by Lulu. Lulu's was released first, by a couple of weeks or so. Both acts recorded for Decca who were only going to promote one. After some heavy duty background arm-twisting Them's version won, and Lulu's vanished almost without trace. I've done my best to talk it up for the past few years, as it's actually excellent. Jimmy Page plays an identical guitar riff on both songs.

Comment

Working...
                      X