No announcement yet.

Tunisia vs England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Count your blessings, at least the USA aren't in, the once-every-four-year phonies are in the woodwork and that godawful You-Es-Ay! chant will not get any airtime.

Comment

Not many complaints about that tonight, perhaps the exception being a lack of ruthlessness that could have had them out of sight by half time. Tunisia tried to kill the game in the second half and nearly succeeded. Felt a bit like watching Top Four Town vs Midtable United in that respect, I've seen dozens of Premier League games play out that way.

Still, three points. That's a 200% improvement on the last World Cup, which I'm sure you'll all agree is quite some achievement. 12 years since England scored 2 (two) goals in a World Cup finals match. This is progress.

Comment

And 28 years since an England player last scored two by himself in a World Cup finals match.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          I wonder what EIM's England Specific Snackfood is today. I'm guessing Roast Beef Monster Munch.
          Cheddar, ham, roast beef, farmhouse bloomer, pickle, pickled onions. And crisps.

Comment

Lineker's (vs Cameroon) were both pennos, too, and included one in extra time.

Edit: So the last time an England player got a brace at the World Cup in open play inside 90 minutes was against Paraguay in 1986.
            Last edited by Kevin S; 18-06-2018, 20:57.

Comment

So, we're agreed. The greatest England performance of modern times.

Comment

Yes. Statistically proven. FIFA might as well hand over the trophy now and take a few weeks off.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                  Have they mentioned the need for that old "Stalingrad spirit" yet?

I wouldn't put it past them.
                  "Like Marshal Zhukov, Captain Kane rallied his weary men, fought for every inch of ground and after a constant artillery barrage finally led the Red Army to victory ... " (Will this do?)

Comment

The stats are grim though - before tonight's game it was pointed out that England had won only one of their last eight WC finals matches, and that was 1-0 vs Slovenia.

I'm sure somewhere in the excitable post match chatter Lineker said it was only the third time England had won their opening game at a World Cup, but I make it six, so maybe I misheard or misunderstood.

Comment

Is this what it has been like for England supporters watching Wales for decades?
                      Not at all. I actively want Wales to lose every game.

Comment

I like this England team a lot more than its more talented predecessors of 1986-2004. They have a bit more humility. Southgate seems genuinely a nice guy despite his dodgy stance in the racism scandal, which was either misguided loyalty or fear of the sack.

There are many teams here whose demeanor seems more arrogant and entitled, albeit they have more quality. You have to separate the team from the mouth-breathing section of its fan base and the once every 4 years bandwagon jumpers. (However, that's much easier for me to do posting from Florida rather than from a flat opposite a pub draped in St George flags with Brexiters howling at the telly).

For perspective imagine if Big Sam was still boss.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                          Not at all. I actively want Wales to lose every game.
                          See, I like that - certainly more than the "Why can't you support England when Wales aren't playing" bollocks - and the attitude has increased moreso in recent years, for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            For perspective imagine if Big Sam was still boss.
                            Bloody hell, that is a great point, well made.

Comment

Yeah, the more I see of Southgate the more impressive he seems to be. Although I'm sure everyone will be cursing his very existence in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Is there still an assumption in the BBC and elsewhere that England are representing the whole UK?

Comment

I’ve never really got that impression. More that they don’t acknowledge that a section of their audience isn’t English and therefore may either be neutral or actively hostile towards the England team (as a section of the English audience may be too, obviously).

Comment

There's definitely too much of the use of "us" on commentary to mean "England". Martin Keown was repeatedly at it tonight, for example, and I thought it was meant to be a big no-no when you're in that position.

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                    So the last time an England player got a brace at the World Cup in open play inside 90 minutes was against Paraguay in 1986.
                                    I was thinking that too, albeit assumed it was the hat-trick against Poland that was the most recent, whereas in fact the Paraguay game came a week later. I'd suggest that tonight wasn't technically inside the 90 minutes, though, so Gary can still claim that one in a sense.

Comment

I'd qualify "open play" as, actually, two corners, although I recognize that set-pieces have always been a big component of England's goal tallies.

Comment

I quite like the fact that for all the silky fluent interchanging football of the first 20 minutes, both goals were essentially about having a big lad at the back stick. Fusion football, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                          See, I like that - certainly more than the "Why can't you support England when Wales aren't playing" bollocks - and the attitude has increased moreso in recent years, for obvious reasons.
                                          We have an excuse for loathing England. What reason could England have for hating Wales? "This nation we've viciously subjugated for a thousand years doesn't pay us our proper dues"?

When the country is decked head to toe in St George's Crosses, England is inescapable. You almost have to make an effort to even find out when Wales are playing.

Comment

Came home from work/ the pictures last night just as the game was ending. Two doors up has put huge flags on the lampposts either side of the house which puts one of them very near us.
                                            He drives a tuning car and has loud bbqs but I didn’t realise he wAs that much of a dickhead.

Comment

That game last night was very much a sandwich game wasn't it? The first ten minutes were ok and the last five minutes were pretty good, but the rest of it - the filling - was pretty dire. Worse than that I've hurt my ribs playing cricket so I'm on pain killers and watching England sober is even worse than I'd imagined. During the next game I might go for a drive just to see how quiet it is.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                                Can they meet Iceland in the next round? I'd fancy them to do them again on this showing.
                                                Would be funny, but England and Iceland can meet at earliest in the semi final, and I don't think either of them will reach that stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                                  That game last night was very much a sandwich game wasn't it? The first ten minutes were ok and the last five minutes were pretty good, but the rest of it - the filling - was pretty dire.

Shark Sandwich?

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                                                    We have an excuse for loathing England. What reason could England have for hating Wales? "This nation we've viciously subjugated for a thousand years doesn't pay us our proper dues"?
                                                    Lighten up boyos. At least 73% of them in an opinion poll haven't called for your team to be abolished.

Anyway, Lewy and the lads will stuff them in R16.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X