Actors who hated each other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actors who hated each other

Reading recently about 70s comedies there was a couple of instances I hadn't heard of before,in Dad's army Arnold Ridley and John Laurie really disliked each other, Clive Dunn and Arthur Lowe also didn't get on but that was through politics with Dunn being an enthusiastic Labour supporter whereas Lowe was a old school Tory
    Politics was also behind the dislike between Bill Owen and Brian Wilde on LOTSW, allegedly it got so bad during the miners strike that the producers called them in and told them if they couldn't sort it out they'd both be sacked. They managed to work together but were never friends
    I'm sure there were lots more of them over the years

Rodney Bewes and James Bolam are a pair that spring to mind.

Also, from Hollywood, Edward G. Robinson and George Raft; Edward G. Robinson and Miriam Hopkins.

Comment

I assumed this thread would be about Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

Comment

On the I Love Lucy show, Vivian Vance and William Frawley (Fred and Ethel Mertz) couldn't stand each other. Apparently she hated being 'paired' with an actor who was over 30+ years her senior as husband and wife.

Comment

When informed that Al Waxman had died, one of his co-stars on Cagney and Lacey responded with "are you sure?"

By most accounts, he was a colossal prick. Probably an unknown actor to UK viewers, though.

Comment

Did he play the gruff Lieutenant character? He'd barely scrape my top 5 characters in Cagney & Lacey.

Comment

Harry H. Corbett and Wilfrid Brambell were not good friends, it's fair to say...

Comment

For some reason I watched a shit-ton of Cagney & Lacey as a young child. Not that I would have known who the actors were.

Comment

I think there will be way more examples with actresses than actors.

Comment

Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, although they reconciled in the end.

Comment

Martin Shaw and Lewis Collins

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                        Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, although they reconciled in the end.
                        It wasn't mutual though: Martin couldn't give ten cents for Lewis, but Lewis was devoted to Martin. The reconciliation was purely on Martin's part.

Comment

Abbott and Costello IIRC.

John Wayne and any Hollywood liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                            I think there will be way more examples with actresses than actors.
                            And yet, almost all the examples so far are male actors.
                            Go figure.

Comment

Seen lots of this over the years. Although one stand out was last year with two high profile actresses. One to be fair was away with the fairies, the other did nothing but moan and complain about her co-star, and pretty much everything else to be honest.

Comment

For a show I never watched, I remember that the two main stars of The Good Wife (Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi) apparently hated each other after a few seasons and filmed all later scenes separately.

Similarly, the leads of Castle apparently detested each other by the end of the run. (Which took a bit of shine off of Nathan Fillion for me, but he's earned that back by his heady performance in Santa Clarita diet.)

Comment

The stories about James Dean and Raymond Massey during filming for East of Eden are interesting, Dean apparently 'provoking (Massey) into hating him', to the extent that Massey's repulsion at Dean's embrace was apparently quite genuine.

Peter Dean and Gillian Taylforth apparently didn't get on while filming scenes as Pete and Kathy Beale.

Comment

Many examples of people thrown together in long running shows ending up loathing each other. Some not mentioned so far are Rock Hudson and Susan Saint James in "McMillan and Wife", Warren Mitchell and Tony Booth in "Till Death us Do Part" and Jimmy Jewell and Hilda Baker in "Nearest and Dearest".

A lot of it was for professional reasons and more on one side than the other. Warren Mitchell and Harry H Corbett were "Method" perfectionists whereas Wilfred Bramble and Tony Booth took a much more casual attitude. James Bolam always regarded himself as a better, more serious actor than Rodney Bewes and felt he was always having to make allowances for that throughout "The Likely Lads".

Comment

Sooty refused point blank to speak to Sweep even in character on set.

Comment

Zippy and George seemed to have a very fractious relationship.

Comment

Everybody on the set of Bless This House - the UK version - hated Diana Coupland, apparently.

I'm sure your lives are vastly improved from assimilating that pearl of wisdom.

Comment

Abbott and Costello were mentioned earlier and while it's true they hated each other, Bud Abbott was such an obnoxious cunt that everyone hated him

Comment

Originally posted by The Bretwalda View Post
                                              Sooty refused point blank to speak to Sweep even in character on set.
                                              Did you get that from Soo's autobiography, A Hand In A Panda? Good read, I thought. Must have been hell for her.

Comment

I blame Harry Corbett for darkening the overall mood.

I mean, if he hadn't have been arguing so much with Wilfred Bramble, etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                                  Zippy and George seemed to have a very fractious relationship.
                                                  Nah.

Off camera it was akin to Rudolph Walker and Jack Smethurst.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X