No announcement yet.

Sweden v South Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be interesting to see a summary of how people here found VAR, after the world cup is over.

Comment

PPV, what's with the "Tomahawk Chop" gestures from that group of your countrymen?

Comment

Korea are so heavy-handed (-footed) with their passing. The ball just travels miles.

Comment

if only the korean right-back had a left foot

(i speak as a very right-footed right-back)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            Worse than Saudi Arabia? I think not...
            Keep in mind that Korea met a Sweden who played Championship football most of the minutes. And still didn't make much of it.

Comment

I think I know the answer but what happens if there is a penalty shout, the ref lets the game run on planning to consult VAR in the next break in play and the other team counter-attack and score?

Edit : Ah, they've just asked this of Clattenburg on ITV.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                PPV, what's with the "Tomahawk Chop" gestures from that group of your countrymen?
                I have no bleedin' idea. I saw it in an interview first time yesterday. Maybe it has to do with a Swedish world cup song. One of the half dozen made but are mostly shite.

Comment

It happened in Holland recently. Ref waved play on after a tackle in the box and Feyenoord went up the other end and scored. The ref looked at the footage and decided he had made a mistake, disallowed the goal and awarded the penalty.

Comment

It seems there is a need for a VAR thread here which explains how it's used. I haven't seen one. Is there one?
                    And not only how it decides but how it affects flow of game. I'm not going to start one. I've seen it in Seria A entire season and it's all positive. You can imagine how well it's worked in Italian league football in particular. Players tend to dive much less and don't tell me you don't like that?
                    VAR is here to stay, and with some fine tuning it will be as brilliant new to the game as when goal keepers couldn't pick up the ball with their hands after a grass-pass from own player.
                    Right now it's the typical we are all old and want it to remain as before. Some like it was in 1958 with the same two ton heavy leather ball and all.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                      It happened in Holland recently. Ref waved play on after a tackle in the box and Feyenoord went up the other end and scored. The ref looked at the footage and decided he had made a mistake, disallowed the goal and awarded the penalty.
                      That's what I would have thought, Clattenburg seemed to say "Nobody's worked it out" when asked though!

Comment

Can we all agree that VAR is about 500 percent better than the ref's standing behind the goal trying to help but so far I have never seen them help, instead seen them miss about 100 occasions where they should have seen a penalty or a dive?
                        Can we agree on that for starters?

Comment

None of the people in the SVT studio have anything interesting to say.

At least the Scanian guy is showing some happiness at his country just having, you know, won a match in the World Cup. Must be the immigrant blood. The other two and the presenter look like they are pissed off because they missed their three o'clock fika break.

Comment

One of the issues with VAR is that there is not yet a universally agreed protocol, which means that it is being implemented differently in each of the countries that is using it.

I had hoped that the World Cup protocol would become standard, but am not a fan of the referee having to run off the field to review the footage.

That said, I enthusiastically second PPV’s view on how it’s implementation improved this season’s Serie A.

Comment

I will confess that VAR has, up to now, been much better than I feared. I still don't really understand some areas mind you. I thought Gabriel Jesus was fairly clearly fouled in the box in the second half yesterday but it wasn't brought back for example. If the video ref says "I think you should look again at that penalty call" is the on pitch ref entitled to say "nope don't feel like it"?

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                                In a way that's the easier of the two calls to understand though. If, after review, the ref stuck with his original decision in the Feyenoord example, I assume the goal at the other end stands? I think the aim is to bring play to a halt in a "neutral area" if the off field VAR team thinks a review is necessary. S Korea were on a promising break here and if the penalty wasn't given, they'd have grounds to be pretty aggrieved.

Comment

ad hoc, I believe that he is under the FIFA protocol, which I find sub-optimal.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                                    That's what I would have thought, Clattenburg seemed to say "Nobody's worked it out" when asked though!
                                    Well, considering that Clattenburg disagreed with the VAR officials and referee yesterday in the Brazil game, I think we can safely say that he is talking out of his arse. Arguing because one referee gets it wrong I can deal with, but up against 4?

Then again, ITV were pushing the Brazil 1970 narrative so *shrugs*.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                      None of the people in the SVT studio have anything interesting to say.

At least the Scanian guy is showing some happiness at his country just having, you know, won a match in the World Cup. Must be the immigrant blood. The other two and the presenter look like they are pissed off because they missed their three o'clock fika break.
                                      Haha

Comment

South Korea the second worst team so far, worse than Egypt and Morocco and probably less likely to improve.

Germany have to beat Sweden and probably should because, as noted above, Sweden are English second tier level.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                          Well, considering that Clattenburg disagreed with the VAR officials and referee yesterday in the Brazil game, I think we can safely say that he is talking out of his arse. Arguing because one referee gets it wrong I can deal with, but up against 4?

Then again, ITV were pushing the Brazil 1970 narrative so *shrugs*.
                                          You are fucking shitting me? Samba soccer ended in 1982.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                                            Yes they do, in the second league even. And he's the captain.
                                            Damned Wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                                              Damned Wiki.
                                              Well, dude, it was a sneaky one and don't even know if it counts against your claim since he's not played a single game yet in Helsingborg this season. Leaving Krasnodar and returning home was decided a month before the world cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                South Korea the second worst team so far, worse than Egypt and Morocco and probably less likely to improve.
                                                I thought Iran were substantially worse than Morocco. They just got lucky to sneak the win. Iran versus South Korea I would probably rate on par at the moment.

Comment

It is disappointing for the "anyone but Germany" crowd that this is the rest of their group. Brazil have a lot more to worry about with Costa Rica and Serbia than Germany do with these two.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X