Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New All-Time Records Set This Tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New All-Time Records Set This Tournament?

I have included the question-mark because some of these need verification:

1) Most games into a tournament (11+) with no red cards. This was cited by David Elleray on BBC World Service so I assume it's true for the era when red cards have existed but not before then because there were no sendings off in the 1954 group phase:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Cup_red_cards

2) Eldest combined ages of two coaches in a game: Uruguay v Egypt (62 + 71; Tabarez is the second eldest ever, beaten only by Rehhagel)

3) Only captain in 5 World Cups: Rafael Marquez (and only the 3rd player)
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-06-2018, 23:27.

'Highest cumulative time added-on' seems likely.

Comment

Competitive games since 3-goal defeat

England 49
      Northern Ireland 36
      Wales 28
      Scotland 6
      Former Brit Republic of Yugoirlandiya 0

And since conceding 5

England 267 (in 1963)
      Northern Ireland 191 (1979)
      Wales 34 (2012)
      Scotland 68 (2003)
      FoBROYi 0 (2017)

Comment

Fewest yellow cards since they were introduced.

But some of these are deliberate FIFA instructions, as you imply.

Comment

First losses to CONCACAF team in finals Scotland 1990, Italy 2014, Germany 2018

First losses to African teams Mexico 1978, West Germany 1982, Argentina 1990, Bulgaria 1994, Scotland 1998, France 2002

I think 2010 was England's first defeat by at least by three goals in the finals whereas Scotland hit that benchmark in 1954 and NI in 1982, Brazil in 2014 (?), West Germany 1954

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
            Competitive games...

... since conceding 5

England 267 (in 1963)
            Northern Ireland 191 (1979)
            Wales 34 (2012)
            Scotland 68 (2003)
            FoBROYi 0 (2017)
            Some big hitters are better at avoiding conceding five than others in competitive matches. And if the CE Cup doesn't count as competitive then Italy never have...

Spain 1-5 Netherlands (World Cup Finals, 13 June 2014)
            Germany 1-5 England (World Cup Qualifiers, 1 September 2001)
            Yugoslavia 5-1 France (European Champs, 24 April 1968)
            Yugoslavia 6-1 Italy (Central European Cup, 12 May 1957)
            Last edited by Kevin S; 18-06-2018, 09:56.

Comment

Isn't one of the Egyptian goalkeepers way over 40 yrs and could set a record? If Egypt don't have a chance to go through in their third game, I can see him starting just for the record being broken.

Comment

More missed penalties already in 2018 than in 2014.

Comment

Egyptian keeper is 45.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    Egyptian keeper is 45.
                    So that would make him the oldest player ever, if he plays? Or keeper?
                    I'm asking because who knows who played outfield back in the 30's and how old they were.

Comment

Definitely the oldest in any position

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                        Competitive games since 3-goal? defeat

England 49
                        Northern Ireland 36
                        Wales 28
                        Scotland 6
                        Former Brit Republic of Yugoirlandiya 0
                        Unsure if you mentioned Ireland, but lost 1-5 to the Danes. By 4 goals. Even worse I know.

Comment

Faryd Mondragon (43) set the record at the last tournament, playing in Colombia's final group game, overtaking Roger Milla (42, 1994), who is the oldest outfield player, and scorer.

I, too, thought there must have been a 47 year old outside half for someone in the 1930s, when the teams were rather more cobbled together from whoever survived the boat journey, but apparently not.

Eight of the ten oldest are goalkeepers, and four of those are British. A proud tradition of sticking to what you know.

Comment

David James was the oldest player to make his debut (39). Shilton was the oldest captain (40). Zoff the oldest in a final (40).

Back to 2018:

Ronaldo became the oldest player to score a hat-trick

Rafael Marquez has the most matches as captain (as well as only player to captain in 5 World Cups)

Australia apparently traveled the longest ever distance in qualifying (155,000 miles), according to Wiki. I'm not sure about this, e.g. NZ played loads of games to qualify in 1982.

Comment

Wiki suggests that New Zealand went to Fiji, Taipei, Jakarta and then Sydney all in the space of two weeks in 1981 so I presume they did that as a tour, and weren't going back to Auckland after each match. Similarly when they later played Kuwait and Saudi they seem to have played those back to back. Their other trips were to Beijing and Singapore. Even accounting for the touring bit it still sounds like a lot of miles.

Comment

I checked and if NZ did play their first 4 away games as a tour as implied it would come to 26,600 miles, a bit of a trek but not as far as I'd thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  I think 2010 was England's first defeat by at least by three goals in the finals whereas Scotland hit that benchmark in 1954 and NI in 1982, Brazil in 2014 (?), West Germany 1954
                                  Northern Ireland's threshold had been reached in 1958 when they lost 0-4 to France in the quarter-finals.

Comment

Working...
                                  X