Die Mannschaft v El Tri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
    Second place is beginning to look like the better option.
    Indeed, I couldn't quite bring myself to say but that's what I was thinking. Although, a route of (potentially) Colombia and Mexico to the semi-finals is fraught with danger.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
      Although, a route of.... to the semi-finals
      woah. Let me stop you right there

Comment

What? I'm sure Tunisia have every right to be confident.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          Aye and especially because that was an absolutely superb refereeing performance
          Echoed. It was an absolute work of art. Although it was quite hilarious how of all the teams to not get the "index finger rectangle" to see if Chicharito got pulled down in the box...

"This game had a terrible bang of four years too late, four years too early for Germany. A lot like spain in 2014. "
          Abso-f'n-lutely. It's safe to say this Germany team is a lot more Euro 2004 or 2016 than they've been of late. My only disagreement is that they are 4 years away. I mean it was a miracle they came up with what they came up with in 2006, and rode that for 8 years, and may come up with a youth group in the next few years that comes out of nowhere like that group did...but that German team today was so slow, so old, so far away from 2014, so toothless and vulnerable. They may have had a combined starting age of over 3 centuries. They looked like that 98 France tribute game the other night, where Usain Bolt looked like George Weah '95 in.

Also I found myself getting wound up by some of the commentary about plucky mexico. There's fucking 130 million mexicans, and their team is essentially two underage world cup winning sides welded together.
          True, but to be the man, you have to Ric Flair the Mannschaft. Mexico's been so close for so many times, and Germany always had a goal they needed to score in all of those games. Today it didn't come. Today Memo Ochoa left his clown shoes at home, and finally added a solid Schmeichel or Neueresque no-rebound no-nonsense performance to his usual high-flying fingertip saves.

"Plucky" also comes from "Fucky Uppy." That snake on that flag tends to bite that aguila right back more times than not.

All of which I'm saying is don't be surprised if Mexico chokes against Korea, and ends up in a high-pressure must-win against Sweden where Mexico passes the ball back to Memo Ochoa, who proceeds to slip on a banana peel causing his pants to fall down while falling face first into a banana cream pie the trainer accidentally leaves on the field, having the ball bounce off his bare asscheeks right to Zlatan with an open net in front of him.

Comment

This excellent result increases the chances of three teams finishing on six points but that presupposes one weak side, whereas South Korea are not incapable of beating Sweden, which would then mean Germany v Sweden is sudden death. If SK v Sweden is a draw, Germany go bottom of the group.

When Gomez missed in front of goal, a lot of Germans must have shouted (in German) "You had one job, one job!!" Löw's squad selection bites him on he arse.

I suppose the signs of decline were already there in the 2016 defeat to France, especially no cutting edge and a soft underbelly/vulnerability on the break.
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-06-2018, 00:03.

Comment

I recorded this and watched it late - what a great match. I'm amazed that my attempt to not know the result wasn't ruined by loud cheers from houses or Mexicans driving around celebrating.

I really enjoyed Mexico's football up to the goal. After the goal they got close to that horrible sitting-extra-deep stuff where you think they'll eventually concede. I'm amazed that they didn't particularly after they kept missing so many chances.

Germany will still win the group. But this makes it much more fun.

Comment

Brilliant how this backfired.

Comment

Are Sweden or South Korea any good on the counter? If so, Germany are vulnerable.

Comment

I see that tedious references to the war are rolling in on social media. Some Serbian bloke felt eager to remind us that it's not the first time Germany got stuck in mud in Russia.

Comment

Struggling against a defence sitting deep and vulnerable to dangerous counters... ok, everyone gets an allowance of one of these, then should shut up.

Comment

Three of the last four defending champs have crashed out in the group stage, its a real theme of 21st century world cups

Comment

Hummels got a lot of criticism yesterday on Swedish telly and they showed a couple of occasions where he was defending terribly. But my take was that Hummels had to act in the strange and panic kind of way he did was because the usual confidence of always someone else back there taking care of business, it was gone. Hummels and especially Kimmich went forward a lot while Boateng not much so, but by god was Boateng lousy yesterday. He was probably the player who slowed down things most for Germany and sometimes he even looked lazy. Stood with the ball and refused to move. I bet if one was to check stats who ran the least amongst defenders and midfielders, Boateng ran fuck all. All those times the Mexicans came charging, he was the shittiest to defend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            When Gomez missed in front of goal, a lot of Germans must have shouted (in German) "You had one job, one job!!" Löw's squad selection bites him on he arse.
                            I already screamed at that useless fucker when he was brought on. All he had to do was to confirm what I knew would happen.

But I'm not panicking. This is the sort of thing Germany do every time. Last time it was almost losing to Ghana, before that the defeat to Serbia. Only difference is that this was the first game, not the second.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                              Three of the last four defending champs have crashed out in the group stage, its a real theme of 21st century world cups
                              Both the 2006 finalists went out in the group stage in 2010, finishing bottom of their groups, no wins, only 3 points from 6 games. We should avoid that this time but it will be tight, especially for Argentina who seem to have the tougher group (but we've not seen Sweden and South Korea play yet).

Comment

I wouldn't want to single out Hummels and Boateng, as they were left terribly exposed by the midfield and often had to go up the field to try and break up the Mexicans' forward play.

But playing five forwards, plus having Kimmich tearing up the wing was madness. Khedira's legs have gone. And I haven't seen a good Thomas Müller performance in quite a while.

It would make sense to replace Khedira with Gundogan and bring on an additional, more defensive midfielder (Rudy or Goretzka).

But that was the stinkiest Germany performance I've seen in a long time. At least Neuer had a decent game.

Comment

Missed those warm-up classics against Austria and Saudi-Arabia then?

Comment

In a competitive finals match, possibly their worst since the 2004 Euros.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                      X