Latest 0-0 in a tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest 0-0 in a tournament

Seven games in and no goalless games so far. I have a vague recollection there were no goalless games in the first round of games last time until a Nigeria game in about in group F; are we heading for a record? England famously started 1966 with a 0-0 against Uruguay.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 16-06-2018, 18:12.

Well that's it,Croatia v Nigeria guaranteed to be nil all now

Comment

England 0-0 Brazil in the second round of group fixtures in Sweden 1958 was one of seven games to kick off simultaneously, so was the joint ninth fixture of the tournament (Sweden v Hungary was played the following day). It was not just the first goalless draw in the 1958 World Cup, but was the first in any World Cup finals match - if my adding up is correct there were 109 finals matches over 28 years with at least one goal before both sides kept clean sheets. It took four days before there was another goalless game (Wales v Sweden).

Comment

In 2014, it wasn't until the 12th match - Nigeria vs Iran - that we drew a blank: in 2010, it was only the second match - Uruguay vs France - that the first goalless draw occurred.

Latest ever? Not sure, but in the 1954 tournament there were none at all (26 games) - with an average of nearly 5.4 goals per game.

(In terms of other recent tournaments, Copa América 2004 didn't contain any at all, either.)

Comment

I was going to suggest it's 24 vs 32, no 3rd place qualifiers so less reward for cagey 0-0. But I'll just check the Euro 2016 scores first ... OK, no nil-nils in the opening round of games. Bin that.

(mind you, that doesn't mean they weren't playing for nil-nil, several of those group games certainly looked like it)

Comment

I think when the tournament was 16 teams, teams were more cagey because there were fewer easy games. Most European teams knew how to keep a clean sheet. Many opening games were evenly matched teams. With 32, you have unbalanced matches with shakier defences and defenders get away with a lot less fouling.

Comment

Indeed, in the four World Cup openers between 1966 and 1978 (inclusive) there wasn't a single goal scored.

Comment

The first one I saw was West Germany v Poland in 1978 and it was dire. There's also the pressure of being the centre of global attention.

Comment

None in the first round of group matches.

Comment

OK. A rough countback (for some of these I'm just including matches played on the same day as the first 0-0, as I don't have times for them).

The number of games played without a 0-0

1930 18*
                    1934 16*
                    1938 15*
                    1950 22*
                    1954 26*
                    1958 13
                    1962 6
                    1966 0
                    1970 0
                    1974 0
                    1978 0
                    1982 2
                    1986 5
                    1990 12
                    1994 16
                    1998 6
                    2002 19
                    2006 4
                    2010 1
                    2014 12
                    2018 16 Not Out

* - All the games were not 0-0

So, the most games played in a tournament without a 0-0 is the 26 from 1954 that Jah Womble mentioned earlier.

The most games played before a 0-0 is 19, before Uruguay vs France in 2002. We're already in the top three of this list.

Comment

17 Not Out now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                        17 Not Out now.
                        And given tomorrow features the hapless Saudis, Spain and Portugal, it's more likely than not that 2002 will be beaten.

Comment

There were 0-0 draws in World Cup history until 1958? The game was truly very different back then. You can see the list as a chart of how the tournament suddenly became more defensively organized at that time.

Comment

No 0-0s in the first 109 World Cup matches 1930-1958. It's an amazing stat, that, per Zeb's post upthread. I can't quite believe I've never heard it before. It does indeed say a lot about how football was a very different game in many ways, back in the pre-war/pre-Magyars/pre-Pelé era.

One wonders how much earlier a goalless draw would have arrived in this tournament were it not for VAR, of course – how many penalties have been awarded via the new technology already, 7 or 8? I think there's been 10 pens overall in just 17 games now, compared with something like 13 in the entirety of the last World Cup, and with 47 matches still to play I think we can safely look forward to a new record in that department surely.
                            Last edited by Various Artist; 19-06-2018, 22:07.

Comment

Up to 18...

Comment

There could have been more pens as well. England were denied at least two. Maybe VAR has made defenders more reluctant to dive in? OTOH defending has also been poor generally and there have been more good strikers here than some past tournaments. Spain and England both managed to bring one, for example; Germany have been the exception but that can change.

Comment

N-n-n-n-nineteen...

Comment

Australia - Denmark looks worrying

Comment

The scoring run reaches a score.

Comment

Serbia-Switzerland is my nomination for the first 0-0. Neither team desperate enough to go all out. One caveat: both know how to play rough, a red card (or three) might open things up.

London buses: followed by England-Panama.

Comment

There were only three 0-0 draws at USA 94 (one being the final). I was at the other two. Anyone else got a comparable record of entertainment-jinxing at tournaments they've attended?

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                            There were only three 0-0 draws at USA 94 (one being the final). I was at the other two. Anyone else got a comparable record of entertainment-jinxing at tournaments they've attended?
                                            My brother went to NI's three defeats in Euro 2016, missing the Ukraine win. Two of the trips were on overnight coaches to and from Paris

Comment

I was also at the first 0-0 of France 98 - Paraguay v Bulgaria in Montpellier

Comment

Three 1-0s yesterday though, it wasn't exactly a blockbuster of a day. Wonder if the goals will dry up, or maybe we'll get a flood of them today.

Comment

Nine 1-0s now.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X