No announcement yet.

Latest 0-0 in a tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick, everyone have a bet on the same match to be the first 0-0 of this year's tournament, then pack E10 off to watch it. It's a guaranteed success.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
      Nine 1-0s now.
      I noticed this yesterday: there's also been four 2-1s, making 13 single-goal victories out of 20 matches so far, plus there's been three draws – two 1-1s and that outlying 3-3.
      On the one hand that sounds pretty dull overall; on the other it suggests that nearly every match has hung in the balance to the last kick, which is rather the opposite. The only four games where the result was not in some doubt heading into the final moments (or, indeed, decided in that time) have been Croatia 2-0 Nigeria, Belgium 3-0 Panama, and Russia's two wins by 5-0 and 3-1.

Aside from the last three games all ending 1-0, we're also on a run of ten straight games and counting that have all ended in a win. The most recent draw (Brazil-Switzerland) was on Sunday afternoon. I wonder what the record is in this area?

Comment

Quick, everyone have a bet on the same match to be the first 0-0 of this year's tournament, then pack E10 off to watch it
        I'm game.

Comment

Not sure the 1-0's were always as close as that scoreline suggests. In some cases the loser did not look like it knew how to score, and the winning side looked more likely to grab a second.

Comment

I will go for Argentina v Croatia being nil-nil. A draw would not be too damaging for either side.

Comment

21-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                I will go for Argentina v Croatia being nil-nil. A draw would not be too damaging for either side.
                If there's a goal in every game today, we'll move second, overtaking 1950.

Comment

22 now...

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                    Aside from the last three games all ending 1-0, we're also on a run of ten straight games and counting that have all ended in a win. The most recent draw (Brazil-Switzerland) was on Sunday afternoon. I wonder what the record is in this area?
                    Well, I manage to successfully jinx this, with Denmark and Australia ending 1-1 earlier. On the other hand, the non-goalless games count will now hit at least 23 as France-Peru finishes 1-0.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      Not sure the 1-0's were always as close as that scoreline suggests. In some cases the loser did not look like it knew how to score, and the winning side looked more likely to grab a second.
                      Oh, absolutely. I wasn't suggesting before that all the single-goal victories were actually hanging in the balance until the final whistle in practice – but in principle each one of them was just one kick, fluke, last-ditch breakaway or unexpected VAR call away from ending up drawn, nonetheless.

Comment

Perhaps I'm a game out, then.

To be honest, I'd take a 0-0 if we could just see a little more attacking ambition in the following matches.

Comment

Sorry Jah, I was getting ahead of myself there. There's been 22 games so far, but for some reason I assumed the fact that the 23rd is up next means it's guaranteed to have a goal as well, which makes no sense. I can't see Arg-Cro finishing scoreless, mind, so I'm sticking with my prediction.

Comment

0-0 might suit both teams, although on Croatia's part it would be gambling on Iceland only narrowly beating Nigeria.

Comment

Senor Messi's going to be like a labrador with a bag of chips tonight. No way this is goalless.

Comment

Nice metaphor.

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                Sorry Jah, I was getting ahead of myself there. There's been 22 games so far, but for some reason I assumed the fact that the 23rd is up next means it's guaranteed to have a goal as well, which makes no sense. I can't see Arg-Cro finishing scoreless, mind, so I'm sticking with my prediction.
                                Hope you're right. The first two today began well enough, but fizzled out - like many matches have thus far.

Comment

This has all the hallmarks of a scoreless draw so far ...

Comment

Yes, this isn't looking good. How Argentina just can't build team around "get the ball to Messi and Aguero" is impossible to fathom.

Comment

I suspect that is what they do. The problem is that they don't have any other ideas and even with a player as great as Messi you can close him out of the game and not let him get the ball

Comment

Comment

So if Iceland beat Nigeria tomorrow, there are at least two games in the final round of group where both participants benefit from a scoreless draw: Croatia - Iceland and France- Denmark.

Let's see if we can break this particular duck before then.

Comment

In addition to having to beat Nigeria, Argentina also needs:
                                            -Iceland to tie Nigeria, and
                                            -Iceland not beat Croatia

The goal differential situation means that Argentina will be all but eliminated if Iceland wins one of its two remaining games.

Comment

Lovely microcosm of transatlantic differences in sporting vernacular there, linus. As we'd put it on the right side of the Pond:

In addition to having to beat Nigeria, Argentina also need:
                                              -Iceland to draw with Nigeria, and
                                              -Iceland not beat Croatia

The goal difference situation means that Argentina will be all but eliminated if Iceland win one of their two remaining games.

Comment

You wouldn't exactly be rushing to place your last spare euro on Brazil breaking the deadlock here.

Comment

Comment

24. Just.
                                                    Last edited by Kevin S; 22-06-2018, 14:43.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X