Shinnecock Hells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shinnecock Hells

The USGA are cackling into their whisky sours as their ferocious set-up of Shinnecock Hills, combined with strong winds Thursday and Friday, decimated the field at the US Open. McIlroy and Spieth have missed the cut along with Tiger Woods, who began his tournament with a triple bogey.

Fittingly, the only player under par is world number one Dustin Johnson, who takes a four shot lead into the weekend. The chasers include Ian Poulter, Henrik Stenson, Tommy Fleetwood and Justin Rose, so should be good fun if DJ falters.

I've not seen much of this, but what I have seen is some particularly evil looking rough. I find it interesting that when the wind blows like this, you end up with more Europeans near the top of the leader board.

Comment

I was watching a bit of the golf just before the Croatia-Nigeria game started, and Phil Mickelson did the weirdest thing, where he overhit his putt and it was flying away down hill so he jogged round and hit it back before it stopped moving. That's the kind of thing I do when I'm frustrated with ridiculously fast greens, but it's seriously off for a pro to do it. 2 shot penalty, of course. The commentators were being the worst kind of golf-wankers about it, complaining about what a terrible example it sets to kids watching. Rather than accepting the truth that most golfers have done something like that in their lives, and the really impressive thing was that Phil stuck his next drive down the middle of the fairway.

Comment

From the TV coverage and the overviews, this looks like a really uninspiring course. It may be tricky because of the rough and the greens, but there are very few trees, no views, nothing really of note. All the holes kind of look the same. I can't tell if I'm being unfair.

Comment

It tries to be a links course without being on the water.

The National next door is more interesting.

Comment

I was wondering if you had experience of it, Ursus. 3 years 'til this tournament is played on a course that I know.

Comment

Looking at this on a map, this is where Gatsby would play, isn't it?

Comment

If today is a repeat of yesterday, the last groups out could struggle the most as the greens dry out. If someone currently in the middle of the field can get in the clubhouse a couple of shots behind the lead they may find themselves holding the trophy at the end of the day.

Comment

I don't want to jinx this, but you may well be dead on.

Comment

Working...
                  X