Spain v Portugal : Iberian war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
    Was late to this one due to a poorly planned blood donation and Eid-related bus shortage, but opted to watch in full on iPlayer.
    Good decision, what a great game.
    BBC commentary was terrible, and the late equaliser was richly deserved after Wilson and Murphy had spent most of the second half swooning at the masterful Spanish passing game, as if they were four goals clear, whereas even the most casual observer could see that Portugal were still very much in it (and that they actually looked more dangerous from long passes rather than fannying around in the middle. Big Sam's influence on Hierro, no doubt).

And Ronaldo, fucking hell. What a guy.
    I thought the commentary was very good, and I think it's forgiveable that they get things wrong. Spain's passing game was masterful, while it lasted, and to be fair they did say, a minute or so before Ronaldo's equaliser, 'and yet...' referring to Ronaldo. And as to Murphy's 'he can't go over the wall', well, I didn't think he could either. Football's a game about opinions, Brian, they're allowed to be wrong. I thought that the commentator - who was he? - caught the tone really well overall.

Ronaldo really is a great entertainer, isn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
      Both teams should now get through, barring any freak results
      Morocco holding Portugal next time might be a surprise, though hardly freakish. That would likely leave CR & co having to win their last game to overtake Iran. Remember Portugal didn't win a group game in 2016.

Comment

I was at a family party last night and had been following the game intermittently. By the end, everyone was glued to the screen (even the non football lovers).

Ronaldo is a truly magnificent beast of a footballer.

Comment

You don’t need “of a footballer”.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
            Morocco holding Portugal next time might be a surprise, though hardly freakish. That would likely leave CR & co having to win their last game to overtake Iran. Remember Portugal didn't win a group game in 2016.
            Morocco's best option might be to take Ronaldo out with a few "reducers."

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
              De Gea appeared to be waving or pointing or appealing at something. It meant that he was slow to get his hands in position, which led to the ball spinning away off them into the goal. For me, Brian, a freak mistake from the best in the world. Back to the studio.
              I think it was because Sergio Ramos punched him in the head.

Comment

Wrong thread.

Comment

https://twitter.com/MundialMag/statu...80372896649217

Comment

As I have a Portugal/Spain game as my prediction for the final, I wonder what sort of game that would be: the opposite of this, I would think.

Comment

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1007711844033802240

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                        You'd expect a chip from Nacho, or a nice crisp finish, or maybe one that's dipping slightly.
                        Oh, go on, I'll applaud that.

Comment

I missed this live thanks to speedway, then work so only got to watch the highlights.

Well, what I thought were the highlights. After about thirty minutes I realised it was the full replay and I just hadn't noticed, so engrossed I was. It's the first game I've ever watched after the event knowing the score in full and I enjoyed every minute. I doubt it'll happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                            Oh, go on, I'll applaud that.
                            Yep, Sean's was ultimately the way to go with it.

You see, 'nacho' has always been cheese to me, but I really wasn't happy with any of the puns I concocted, so binned it off.

Comment

These two teams meeting again in the final seems plausible after seeing the other candidates, although there's a massive caveat about slow starters etc (e.g. see France and Italy in 2006).

Comment

or Spain in 2010.

Comment

Working...
                                X