Four Game Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four Game Saturday

Roll call here for all those going for the Grand Slam of watching all of tomorrow's games, the only day in the tournament we can see four consecutive matches.

I wouldn't put it past you watching them all in the stadiums, you mad bastard

Comment

It's my wedding anniversary so slim chance of me getting 4 games in.

In any case, it's one too many. Play a second game on the opening day, ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
        I wouldn't put it past you watching them all in the stadiums, you mad bastard
        Actually, the last 48 hrs have seen me bemoan my initial decision not to go out to Russia and put a few feelers out on tickets/transport to matches in the later stages.

Tomorrow will be purely from the sofa though, I'm thinking of it as an early Father's Day present.

Comment

A little preparation, @HistoricalKits doing their usual sterling work on advance notice of kits match ups:

https://twitter.com/HistoricalKits/status/1007592611236855808

Comment

Not getting up at 3am for France/Australia. Should be able to watch Argentina/Iceland and Peru/Denmark at home, but not Croatia/Nigeria.

Comment

Going to a 50th party in Maidstone on Saturday. So, leaving Notts at 9am, aiming to get some somewhere like Harlow at 11 to find a pub for Australia v France. Then after that, drive the last hour to Maidstone between 1 and 2 ready to get there for the Argentina game at 2pm. Best laid plans etc.

Routeplanner tells me to go via Leicester and M1 (and M25), while I suspect that A1/A14/M11 is better (one minute slower says routeplanner). Hmmm. Are the roadworks at the A14 still rubbish then?

Anyone any idea of a good spot to watch the 11am match?

Think that the 7pm game may not be possible, depending on the arrangements for the evening, which I am blissfully unaware of. Hmmm.

Comment

I'm in, all day, at home. Can't wait.

Comment

First game is at an entirely unreasonable 3am. I will be asleep.

Second game, at 6am, would be fine except I'm going out cycling so will probably just see most of the first half.

The third game I'll miss cycling, too.

Game 4 should be fine.

But I feel like my commitment to watching the tournament is sorely lacking if I see less than 50% of the football on any given day. What if I miss the match of the tournament?

Comment

I was originally going to arsedent my sofa and watch the whole lot but now been a change of plan and a few of us are doing a lengthy pub crawl as a loose tribute to a friend who passed on last weekend. So it'll be a case of seeing whatever's on in a variety of pubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Koo Ghoddos Rebic View Post
                      Going to a 50th party in Maidstone on Saturday. So, leaving Notts at 9am, aiming to get some somewhere like Harlow at 11 to find a pub for Australia v France. Then after that, drive the last hour to Maidstone between 1 and 2 ready to get there for the Argentina game at 2pm. Best laid plans etc.

Routeplanner tells me to go via Leicester and M1 (and M25), while I suspect that A1/A14/M11 is better (one minute slower says routeplanner). Hmmm. Are the roadworks at the A14 still rubbish then?

Anyone any idea of a good spot to watch the 11am match?

Think that the 7pm game may not be possible, depending on the arrangements for the evening, which I am blissfully unaware of. Hmmm.
                      Don't know about the roadworks in that area but the AA traffic news site is generally accurate IMO, http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp

If you can make a slight detour via Chelmsford, there's a Walkabout there so the atmo should be great:

https://www.facebook.com/WalkaboutCh...vuOotA&fref=nf

Comment

KGR, A14 is an unpredictable pain in the ass to be honest. Also if you go M1-M25 you won't be going by Harlow. From Nottingham you should be reaching the M25 within two hours if you get a clear run.

Comment

Chelmsford? Slight detour? Fucking Hell, do you want him to get there?

Comment

Will see bits during the day but whilst most of the near family are watching the egg chasing in SA I'll be watching Peru and Denmark on my own with a dog and a few ciders for company.

Comment

Mrs of the Shed is off to the Good Food Show at the NEC tomorrow, so I'll be alone for the first two games and maybe the third, so that's me glued to the sofa in my pants eating cheese on toast and a big bag of Seabrooks.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                Not getting up at 3am for France/Australia. Should be able to watch Argentina/Iceland and Peru/Denmark at home, but not Croatia/Nigeria.
                                The West Coast sucks for European tournaments. I guess the worst time zone must be Hawaii's. EST is perfect on weekends, and good if you can manage to take a good lunchbreak midweek.

I'll catch all the games tomorrow, moved to a new neighborhood and will hop local pubs and cafés to find the best place for the rest of the tourney.

Comment

Will miss France-Australia as I'm test driving a new car, then I'm at the wife's parents for a few hours. Oddly, and this really baffles me, they don't like football and won't have it on in the house, so I'll more than likely miss the second game.

Games 3 and 4 are crap shoots, dependant upon where she insists on us going after.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                    Chelmsford? Slight detour? Fucking Hell, do you want him to get there?
                                    Sorry, I am from Peru, I don't know that area well. Says 18 miles between Harlow and Chelmsford on t'Internet, in my country it's nada.

Comment

Even if I wanted to get up at 7 for France v Australia, my girlfriend has made it very clear she doesn't want to be woken up by an alarm on her day off, so it looks like I'll have to catch that one on repeat on Saturday night after she's gone to bed (which is slightly annoying as there's no indicator it'll actually be repeated). Obviously I have to watch the Argentine game, but I'm not sure whether I'm going to be allowed to watch the other two. Which is frustrating as they both look potentially decent.

Comment

Have already watched one game today (see Portugal Spain thread) and am hoping to do most of today. We have guests for lunch (my daughter's godfather making his formal post high school graduation visit) but I think he wants to watch too. They're due at 3 which is in the gap between games one and two.

The time zone for this tournament is the best I can remember. Today's games are at 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, and 10pm which is just about as perfect as it could be.

(I was thinking that the last game will be kicking off at 11pm in Russia which seemed a bit late but I have realised it's in Kaliningrad which presumably is on either Polish or Lithuanian time)

Comment

I'm manning the stall on my own today (Chorlton Maker's Market, folks. Ignore the existence of Didsbury Festival and come on down!) so I'll make use of the portable phone charger and unlimited data plan and watch them on my phone in between punters.

Comment

I'm at home all day, a trip to the barber having been deemed low priority - I may resemble Cousin IT by the end of the tournament - along with various other life admin.

Anyway, SdR Jr is here and has promised that he'll forgo YouTube for a while and actually watch some of it with me.

Comment

I'll be going for the Grand Slam, definitely. All four games look intriguing in their own way, with upsets for France and Argentina real possibilities.

Comment

Yep, barring disasters, I'm in.

First did a Four-Game Day on 2/6/02, the opening w/e of the Japan/South Korea World Cup, kicking off at 6.30am with Argentina/Nigeria, then Paraguay/South Africa, England/Sweden and finally Spain/Slovenia. The whole shebang was done by about 2pm, so there was still time to do something useful with the day. (Such as write an article about the 'experience' - called The Morning Glory Game - for a short-lived publication.)

The 2014 World Cup saw pretty much the opposite experience, with a four-game Saturday/Sunday concluding with Japan/Côte d'Ivoire kicking off at something like 2am (our) local time. I was staying at my sister's (for the preceding England/Italy match, mainly) and fell asleep during the latter part of that final game, as did she. So probably a 'fail'.

Comment

Will miss most of game 1 doing domestic stuff, will see game 2 and the first half hour of game 3 before going out for a meal with friends in a small but excellent Mexican in Waterloo.

Should be out of there in time for game 4, but the only decent pub in walking distance is a ‘spoons which probably won’t be showing it. Of the 6 of us, two don’t like football, one only really does club football, one is fairly ambivalent and one really only watches it for betting purposes, so that just leaves me who really, really wants to watch it - might not be enough to get the others into a shit pub to do so, but we’ll see.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X