No announcement yet.

Two-Hit Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climie Fisher - Love Changes Everything originally didn't do much but was re-released and got to #2 after a remix of Rise To The Occasion went Top Ten.

Comment

Danny Wilson - Mary's Prayer and The Second Summer Of Love.

Irene Cara's only UK hits were Fame and Flashdance, though she had other singles chart in America.

Comment

Another chart-topping example: Fairground Attraction, with Perfect (1988, UK #1) and Find My Love (1988, UK #7). All other chart attempts stiffed, although Eddi Reader MBE (apparently) managed a couple of Top 40 entries solo, so she also fits the criterion.

Comment

A more modern one - Owl City managed it in both the UK and US. Fireflies was a hit in 2009/10, then Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen) in 2012. Jepsen is a three-hit wonder to save everyone looking her up.

Comment

The Bellamy Brothers were number 1 in the US for twelve weeks with Let Your Love Flow. Their only other charting single was If I said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me. Which is a relegation title if ever there was one.

Comment

Chris Isaak: Wicked Game and Blue Hotel (re-release) made the UK Top 20 but his 3rd highest only made 36, and I would hazard a guess that most of us only recognize those two songs.

By different criteria (two UK Top 40 hits of any size): Marc Cohn, #22 and #37, although I only recognize "Walking In Memphis" (an American Idol audition regular) and his hits were after I stopped paying attention to the charts (1991-92).

Laura Branigan's latter hit is in the latest Chart Music podcast, which notes that a) she was a Europhile (rare for the time); b) video is quite raunchy for a female soloist the time (just prior to Madonna changing that metric).
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-06-2018, 00:52.

Comment

[wrong thread]

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                  The Bellamy Brothers were number 1 in the US for twelve weeks with Let Your Love Flow.
                  Let Your Love Flow was only top for a week in the US on 1/5/76: no record had topped the Billboard (or Cashbox) chart for more than Debby Boone's ten weeks in 1977 until the early nineties, when it all went crazy with songs by Boyz II Men staying top for 3-4 months, etc.

Comment

Julian Lennon is another one. Two No. 6 hits seven years apart with "Too Late for Goodbyes" (1984) and "Saltwater" (1991) . Several other very minor
                    chart entries but nothing in the Top 40 bar those two.

Comment

(Among the most consistent THWs must be DJ Chris Hill who made UK #10 with both Renta Santa and Bionic Santa in 1975 and 1976 respectively. But we can draw a veil over those.)

Comment

Originally posted by (More Than) 3 Colours Rainbow View Post
                        Red Box - Lean On Me and For America
                        That's what I love/hate about this forum. You see the thread title, have a thought and within five posts someone else has got there before you.

Comment

J Geils Band - Center Fold #3, Freeze-Frame #27, nothing else made Top 50 in UK.

Comment

Besides some early '70s stuff in the US, I don't think they charted with much more than that here, either. Maybe 'I Do', but that was a minor hit off "It's Showtime".

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
                              Julian Lennon is another one. Two No. 6 hits seven years apart with "Too Late for Goodbyes" (1984) and "Saltwater" (1991) . Several other very minor
                              chart entries but nothing in the Top 40 bar those two.
                              Did 'Valotte' not chart there? I think it was maybe the only one that made any noise here. 'Too Late...' was the follow-up, but I don't think it did much.

Comment

Without looking it up I think Carl Douglas only had two hits - "Kung Fu Fighting" and "Dance The Kung Fu". Still touring on the strength of them I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                                  That's what I love/hate about this forum. You see the thread title, have a thought and within five posts someone else has got there before you.
                                  True that, have a thought and someone else even got there before you to point out that someone else got there before you.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    Did 'Valotte' not chart there? I think it was maybe the only one that made any noise here. 'Too Late...' was the follow-up, but I don't think it did much.

No "Valotte" only made #55 in the UK. I believe it was a much bigger hit in the US.

Comment

Martha and The Vandellas. Dancing in the Streets made #4 in the UK as a re-issue, and a #11 in 1971 with Forget Me Not, which the UK singles-buying public defiantly went on to do. No other Top 20 action.

The Pogues. They couldn't even break the Top 20 without the help of others. A #8 with The Dubliners, and a #2 with Kirsty MaColl.

Comment

I know that Dexy's were (considerably) bigger in the UK than over here, but did they have other charting songs?

Comment

In 1979 The Knack had My Sharona hit #1, Good Girls Don't was #11, but to my recollection never charted anything else.

That would be USA, not sure about UK.

EDIT - looking around, their next three singles reached 38, 62 and 67.
                                          Last edited by Cal Alamein; 18-06-2018, 17:07.

Comment

I know that Dexy's were (considerably) bigger in the UK than over here, but did they have other charting songs?
                                            They did, including a number 1 (Geno) before that one.

Comment

Lene Lovich is close but not quite: peaks were 3, 19, 39, 58, 53, 68. 'I Think We're Alone Now' surprisingly did not chart.

The Vapors - again not quite - 3, 44, 44

Comment

Besides some early '70s stuff in the US, I don't think they charted with much more than that here, either. Maybe 'I Do', but that was a minor hit off "It's Showtime".
                                                Assuming you mean J Geils, Must Have Got Lost made Billboard #12 in 1974. (Some sources quote the title as 'Must Of Got Lost', which is absolutely excruciating, if the case.) A good few others of theirs made the US Top 40, as well (including the live version of I Do, which peaked at #24 in 1982.)

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                                Without looking it up I think Carl Douglas only had two hits - "Kung Fu Fighting" and "Dance The Kung Fu". Still touring on the strength of them I believe.
                                                Douglas charted again in 1977 with the disco track, Run Back, which made UK #25 (ie, a bigger hit than the dismal Dance the Kung Fu, which peaked at #35 on the back of his global chart-topper). The remake of KFF (with Bus Stop) charted once more at #8 in 1998.

That's my admin done.

Comment

Yeah... reminds me I need to do mine.

Let's see - Red Box: 3, 10, 71 (Heart Of The Sun). Passes muster.

Climie Fisher: 67, 10, 2, 22, 35, 22, 50. Thankfully no-one remembers This Is Me, I Won't Bleed For You or Love Like A River, otherwise Jah would have been on me like a pack of wolves.

Comment

Growl...

I did have my doubts about Climie Fisher's qualifications, but I care so little about them that I didn't pursue it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X