Coaches You Saw Play Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coaches You Saw Play Live

I realized yesterday that I saw Cherchesov play for Russia v Italy in Euro 96 and Southgate play for Villa at Oakwell in 1997-98.

Southgate too for England and Villa in the Nineties and Deschamps during his short spell with Chelsea. I think there might be more but would have to do a thorough check on who the managers are this time around.

Comment

Hierro for Spain v Bulgaria, Euro 96, to add to Cherchesov and Southgate from my OP.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I saw Southgate live for Villa. I think he's the only one though.

Comment

Ooh Petkovic - I saw him play in Brazil. Spooky

Comment

Loads must have seen Martinez? I am sure even I have.

I had to double check to see whether Cissé was in the squad for the Portsmouth V Cardiff City FA Cup final but he had left by then.
            Last edited by Bored Of Education; 17-06-2018, 18:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
              Good prompt - his later managerial and media profile makes you forget he was a pretty ordinary lower league player.
              I definitely was at Scunthorpe 1-0 Swansea in October 2004, in which the internet tells me Martinez played 90 minutes.
              Come to think of it, he was at Alex Calvo Garcia's testimonial around that time too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

I had to double check to see whether Cissé was in the squad for the Portsmouth V Cardiff City FA Cup final but he had left by then.

I checked on both of those too and was sure I must have seen Martinez but can find no evidence of it, think he only faced Cardiff once for either Swansea or Wigan and I wasn’t there for it.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-06-2018, 20:39.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  Ooh Petkovic - I saw him play in Brazil. Spooky
                  Just discovered that this was the wrong Petkovic

Comment

The only one I'm certain of is Didier Deschamps, who I saw when England played France at Wembley in 1999.

I must have seen Martinez play in his Swansea days at Whaddon Road at some point, but I can't be certain.

Comment

I am starting to think that Martinez is the ultimate player that rose without trace.

Comment

Roberto Martinez was a quality player at Chester, despite his advancing years, and I also saw him a number of times for Wigan, and seem to recall he may have got sent off twice against Chester. I also saw him playing for Swansea in 2004. Also saw Gareth Southgate once, in a League Cup match at Aston Villa in 1999, and saw Fernando Hierro in two of Spain's games at Elland Road in Euro 96.

I think Roberto Martinez may be only the second ex-Chester player to subsequently turn up at the World Cup Finals (Leo Bertos being the first). It's just a shame he never took Graham Barrow with him to Belgium as one of his coaches. That would have been the best thing I've witnessed in any World Cup, if it had happened!

Comment

Working...
                        X