No announcement yet.

Africa's most forgotten country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of in the middle of in-between. Which continent does Pitcairn belong to?

Comment

The Seychelles are on the African continental plate, so it's probably fair enough to call them African, although it's not entirely clear that they belong to any continent, really - like Iceland or the Oceanian nations.

As for Kazakhstan, there is a little corner of Kazakhstan that's genuinely in Europe on the western side of the Ural River/Ural Mountain continental edge. So it's not dissimilar to Turkey in that respect.

Comment

Seychelles play in the CAF not AFC. That's good enough for me.

Comment

Heh, then Israel is really in Europe?

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
            Speaking of in the middle of in-between. Which continent does Pitcairn belong to?
            Oceania I presume.

Comment

Considering its size Madagascar gets very little coverage.

Comment

Oceania I would guess. Ascension Island is almost plumb between Africa and South America, I've no idea which, if either, it's a part of.

[edit: overlap with AE]

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                  Oceania I presume.
                  When you look on Google maps it's much closer to the east and South America, than it is the western Oceania.
                  Here, it's a bit up and right where it say Södra Stilla Havet. And reason I'm putting it up is not questioning your knowledge.
                  Never found out what those lines in the ocean mean.
                  That one up in the middle looking like colonialist divided the ocean.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                    Considering its size Madagascar gets very little coverage.
                    Three Hollywood films making over $1.8 billion is publicity that Chad would kill for

Comment

When you look on Google maps it's much closer to the east and South America, than it is the western Oceania.
                      Here, it's a bit up and right where it say Södra Stilla Havet. And reason I'm putting it up is not questioning your knowledge.
                      Never found out what those lines in the ocean mean.
                      That one up in the middle looking like colonialist divided the ocean.

Pitcairn is part of Polynesia, one of the subregions of Oceania. Polynesia is an approximate triangle, with the south eastern corner marked by Easter Island. Pitcairn is just over a thousand miles north west.

On the map the line is the International Date Line, which divides time zones into those ahead of GMT and those behind. The big bump is Kiribati - the position of the date line changed a few years ago when the Kiribati government decided that the whole country should be in the same time zone, where as before part of the country was 23 hours ahead of the rest.

Comment

Madagascar had a fair amount of attention. David Attenborough saw to that.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                          Don't hear much about the Seychelles. Think they are part of Africa.
                          As is Mauritius, where I am right now. Better be, as I'm counting this as a "tick" of continents visited - took 53 years to get to Africa. South America and Antarctica left.

Comment

I'm a Sporcle addict, so on a good day can name you all the African capitals as well as the countries. Port Louis, Mauritius.

I would love to go to Mauritius, I know a few people with parents from there so they get to visit and it looks boss. Also Madagascar.

A friend has been going to Rwanda for business lately and absolutely loves it, finds it friendly etc. The word "Rwanda" still makes me think of machetes so it's not number one on my list, but I'm pleasantly surprised to hear good things.

I haven't been to South America (yet) or Antarctica, either.

Comment

The resort we've been in is right at the northern tip (the Terre Rouge region); the transfer took us most of the way south to north from the airport - it's about the size of Berkshire I'd estimate. We never went to Port Louis. 330 years of occupation by three empires had a pretty devasting effect on flora ans fauna I think but beautiful coastline, lovely mountains in the middle and clearly they do a great resort.

And the people are really, really nice.

Edit: not 375 years. And occupation, not colonisation.
                              Last edited by Sits; 19-06-2018, 03:26.

Comment

<envy>

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                  I'm a Sporcle addict, so on a good day can name you all the African capitals as well as the countries. Port Louis, Mauritius.

I would love to go to Mauritius, I know a few people with parents from there so they get to visit and it looks boss. Also Madagascar.

A friend has been going to Rwanda for business lately and absolutely loves it, finds it friendly etc. The word "Rwanda" still makes me think of machetes so it's not number one on my list, but I'm pleasantly surprised to hear good things.

I haven't been to South America (yet) or Antarctica, either.
                                  I've been to all continents. However, in Africa I never ventured further South than Luxor, Egypt. A trip to Botswana and Namibia is high on the wish list.

Comment

Yes, those two look fab. I've only been to Kenya and Morocco. Lanzarote sort of felt more like Africa than Spain, but it isn't.

Comment

Geographically, the Canaries are definitely in Africa. Much more certainly than the Seychelles are, for instance. I'm still missing Antarctica from my continent collection. I have claim to have visited Oceania, by going to Hawaii, that some might argue with - but, like the Canaries, it's part of the different continent to the majority of its nation. And my Asian ventures never got further than halfway across Anatolia. But they still both count from the continent-bagging perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                        <envy>
                                        <leaving today>

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post

On the map the line is the International Date Line, which divides time zones into those ahead of GMT and those behind. The big bump is Kiribati - the position of the date line changed a few years ago when the Kiribati government decided that the whole country should be in the same time zone, where as before part of the country was 23 hours ahead of the rest.
                                          Doh!

Comment

Other than Antarctica I have not only visited all the continents, but have worked in all of them.

Comment

Haven't worked in all of them but driven in all of them. Apart from Antarctica.

Comment

I'm currently on the border between Burundi and Tanzania. Just saying.

Comment

I would love to go to Antarctica. If anyone's going that way, give me a shout.

Comment

Would concur with Sao Tome and Principe - can't imagine it features terribly regularly even in Lusophone media outlets.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X