Fox Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fox Coverage

I skipped the build-up, as I will for all the games. Co-commentator extremely dull. Main interest so far is the use of an unusual font for the team names.

I don't think they showed the opening mess on any of their stations.

Commentators not annoying yet.

Comment

That's because Alexi Twat is in the studio with the cute (but annoyingly loud) Hispanic guy. (Fernando Fiore)

Comment

I've only had sound on for parts of the game. So far, the in-match commentary is mostly just boring rather than actually obnoxious, which gives it an edge over British coverage.

Comment

Dellacamera is a functional and decent commentator. Does what commentators should: says what is happening and leaves the opinions to others.

Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth pre-tournament about Fox having the rights, but they can't be any worse than ESPN - especially the Darke/McSpannerman combo. And as for Tommy Smyth...

Comment

Other US football commentary always seems desperate to make whatever connections they can, no matter how tenuous, to English football. I've not heard any of that yet, which is also a nice change. Perhaps nobody can find any link at all in this game, so I'll reserve judgement on that aspect until tomorrow's Uruguay vs Egypt which would be swamped under references to Liverpool if it was on NBC(SN).

Comment

Any reason why the Fox team is live from Red Square? And why Ian Wright turned up from nowhere, and said nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by Chemin-de-fairy View Post
                Any reason why the Fox team is live from Red Square? And why Ian Wright turned up from nowhere, and said nothing?
                They want to give the impression that they are all there, while most of their announcers are calling the games from West LA.

Comment

Wright says Cruyff is not in the GOAT conversation. Keep that bollocks off my telly ffs.

Comment

I was wondering who the hubba bubba backwoods hillbilly cowpoke was announcing the game with Dellacamera. His hee-haw gee-whiz commentary was about the worst I've ever heard, and made me misty for Tommy Smyth.

Come to find out he was from the wide open plains of Kearny, New Jersey.

I mean Brad Freidel ended up with a British accent, so Tony Meola must have spent the last 20 years in Oklahoma?

Comment

That bit with the "Iranian Messi" in the pre-show, and Alexi Lalas getting asked if that was an accurate comparison, and him replying "they're both human and they both play soccer, so yes" had me howling.

Comment

Why have Hiddink on if you're going to talk over him?

Comment

So this isn't the Springwatch thread then?

Comment

Hernan Crespo is looking good these days.

Comment

Who the fuck is this Fiore clown?

Comment

"Comic" relief I think.

Comment

Shit. Fox have a shouty Hispanic (Peru, innit) for this game. But he tries far too hard to add excitement when not required.

Comment

At the end of the Argentina vs Iceland game the commentator managed to pull out, “Iceland beat Argentina 1-1.”

Comment

Fernando Fiore was the Univision host from around 98 or '02 till 2014.

I'm sure he's not happy with the sausage party he's on now, when he spent almost 2 decades with these co-hostesses on República Deportiva.

He led hilarious pro-Mexico pep rallies, with this one at the Gold Cup Final getting the most infame and getting a lot of heat from Tim Howard.

I'll never forget the funeral procession that he treated like 9/11 when the US beat Mexico in 2002.

He really sucks in English. I wish Alexi Lalas would go on Republica Deportiva.

Comment

Aly Wagner has easily been the best summarizer: excellent again in the England game.

Comment

The Guardian stick the knife in.

Comment

The subheading screws up by attacking Fellaini, who has had a decent tournament.

Comment

Dire and in the main clueless.

Comment

I haven't watched much of the halftime/post-game stuff. What I did see I didn't like, I don't like Lalas, so I didn't feel like I needed to subject myself to that. They just don't do tactics, they just show very short highlights and then try to argue for a little bit in between commercials.

Derek Rae/Aly Wagner was by far my favorite announcing duo. John Strong/Stuart Holden has pleasantly surprised me, I've really liked Holden. My least favorite was Dellacamera/Meola. I'm still annoyed by how patronizing and ignorant they were about Senegal when they beat Poland. They were acting like it was one of the great upsets in World Cup history, while at the same time knowing almost nothing about Senegal.

Comment

Dellacamera's decline into a sad joke of a commentator is quite surprising, since I thought he was practically the only good American commentator in the 90s*.

Like, homeboy probably called the Senegal-France game in 2002, I don't get why he's so bad.

* oh yeah, Bob Ley.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X