Mario Jardel - it's not a "RIP"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mario Jardel - it's not a "RIP"

In my living memory I struggle to think of someone comparable in goal scoring. He was bloody magnificent. Yes you can do that instant tedious "oh god it was in the Portuguese league in Premier league he wouldn't... yada yada yada"

But he was amazing. And he's not mentioned as much as he should be. You could place a young Rooney in the Swedish first division, he wouldn't have the stats Mario has.

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
    In my living memory I struggle to think of someone comparable in goal scoring. He was bloody magnificent. Yes you can do that instant tedious "oh god it was in the Portuguese league in Premier league he wouldn't... yada yada yada"
    On behalf of Bolton fans I know, I feel obliged to say that this could be more accurately phrased as "in the Premier League he didn't". (Arguing the toss about the relative qualities of leagues is boring as fuck though, though it is interesting to see how quickly Jardel's goalscoring dropped off a cliff once he hit 30.)

Over a shorter-term scale, one thinks of Marco Negri and his first season (and first handful of games) at Rangers.

Comment

I have some sporadic memories of his (Jardel) move from Porto. Wasn't it something about him cheating on his wife, she took off to Brazil, and then his concentration dropped, that he even got very depressed?

Comment

He was fat as fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
          He was fat as fuck.
          Right up your alley as far as footballers go, then?

Comment

He was affectionately known as Lardel when he was at Bolton.

Comment

What's this with Premier League making players fat. Jardel, Brolin.... Alen Boksic all of a sudden started to convert muscles into lard as soon as he moved there?
              Can you fu**in' do something about it? I know you've done a great deal when it comes to players boozing right ahead of a game, right after one, and every other minute when they're not playing a game, but this other stuff making players Jabba, you need to do something about that as well.

Comment

Jardel was near his peak in 2001-2, didn't get called up for the world cup squad, spent the summer consoling himself, turned up for the next season in a bit of a state, didn't get fit, and then at christmas destroyed his knee in a swimming pool accident, and never really recovered. As it was his big thing was hanging around the penalty area, and being the tallest player in the league, and heading in crosses. When he turned up at Bolton, he was always going to struggle, because premier league defenders are used to that, I remember him playing against man utd in the 96-97 champions league, and David May didn't give him a sniff. In the mid nineties, loads of teams in england had players like this. He didn't have the movement, the change of pace, or quick feet to make him a more complicated Threat. But the player who turned up at Bolton just wasn't athletic enough any more.

He was good for galtasary in the 2000-2001 CL, and scored a lot of goals on their way to the quarter Finals, through two groups. I think you may remember him scoring home and away against Milan, as galatasary knocked milan out in the second group stage.
                Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 13-06-2018, 13:53.

Comment

Oh and Alen Boksic played for Marseilles, Lazio and juventus before turning up at middlesbrough. I wouldn't be surprised if he looked like a giant Sean ryder at this stage.

Comment

Stimac and Boksic

Comment

ah, he's gone more the bez route. I must say I'm impressed by the skinniness of his forearm in relation to his height of his head. He may have even me beat on that that Ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                        I think you may remember him scoring home and away against Milan, as galatasary knocked milan out in the second group stage.
                        No, I had obliviated that one with booze. But thank you very much for the reminder.

Comment

Stimac is a massive cu**.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                            Oh and Alen Boksic played for Marseilles
                            Yes, we know.
                            Boksic played in the side which beat Milan in the CL final 1-0 where also Rudi Völler played, and the magnificent Abédi Pelé.

Comment

Just the other day I retold the story when Boksic while at Middlesbrough walked in asked what salary Noel Whelan had (at that time Boksic was the highest paid in PL), and said he would pay of Whelan's contract himself as long as he didn't have to play with him again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                                In my living memory I struggle to think of someone comparable in goal scoring.
                                Pity you missed the age of Gerd Müller. Or, for that matter, Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                  Pity you missed the age of Gerd Müller. Or, for that matter, Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi.
                                  Too young for Gerd, doh on Messi and Ronaldo but in all honesty my mind was searching for someone not surrounded by a galactic number of stars and still managed to average over 1.00.

Comment

Working...
                                  X