No announcement yet.

Champions League 2018/19: A Visca Wanda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ll say this for PSG mind, they’ve got the WiFi in the ground sorted.

Comment

Borussia Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, Porto and Schalke are all through. Barcelona, which was already though, clinched its group tonight.

Tottenham have the edge over Inter for second place in Group B due to the goal they scored in Milano. In Barcelona, they just need to match Inter's result at home to PSV to go through.

A win or a draw at Anfield will qualify Napoli. So will a loss by only one goal, assuming Napoli score. If PSG manage to lose in Belgrade, Napoli and Liverpool can both qualify with a Liverpool win.

Comment

According to BT Sport, Liverpool would be through with either a 1-0 win or one by two clear goals, regardless of the Crvena Zvezda-PSG result. I haven't checked their working on this, which is often necessary when it comes to the media and the arithmetic of group stages.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
          Can't believe Manchester United might go further than Liverpool in the CL this season, despite only scoring one goal at home in the whole group stage. And if Spurs go out too, I think it's safe to say that the bottle slammer, the Big I Am, is again rightfully on his throne as the second best manager in England.
          Man U surely have the weakest group of the three, with Valencia weaker than Napoli or Inter. But I detect a jest.

Comment

Janik, I think BT are right about a 1-0 Liverpool win now that I've reviewed all of the tiebreakers.

That result would leave Napoli and Liverpool tied on all of the head to head tiebreakers and on goal difference in the group (each +2), but would give the edge to Liverpool on goals scored in the group (the sixth tiebreaker). A Liverpool win by two clear goals give them the edge over Napoli on head to head results, with Napoli's fate then depending on PSG's result in Belgrade (Napoli has the head to head edge vs PSG, as they scored twice in the draw in Paris).

Comment

I was surprised at the posts above saying PSG v Liverpool was sudden death. It was only that for PSG.

Comment

Spurs v Inter was a decent game without either side looking that impressive. It was always going to be the first to score would get the result they needed. Spurs didn’t look like getting two if Inter scored but Inter didn’t really look like pulling one back if they conceded, being set up to defend a 0-0 or maybe nick a goal on the counter rather than chase the game.

I thought the quality of Eriksen and maybe Son off the bench would be crucial but in the end the decisive factor was Sissoko being built like a tank but still able to make lung-busting runs in the 80th minute. Some of the visiting players had already been cramping up or looking shot in the previous ten minutes.

The Inter fans were magnificent, obvs. Would have loved to have seen the reaction had they scored, especially as there appeared to be away fans dotted around the stadium as well as the large official away following.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 29-11-2018, 00:34.

Comment

Class off the bench was the decisive factor though because I think Eriksen and Son were causing Inter problems that put them off balance and thus they might not have been as vulnerable to that kind of brilliant run. And the lay-off and finish were exquisite.

Spurs didn't look good enough to make a deep run in the competition, however, and are reliant on Barcelona taking the last game very easily, which would mean that the order of fixtures put them through.
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-11-2018, 01:36.

Comment

I think Liverpool will get the necessary result v Napoli, just on "great Anfield nights" factor. They seem to be strong at home, flaky away in this group.

Comment

1-0 half time. The referee has been an absolute moron. The only decisions he got right were the yellow cards for Koulibady and our Virgil. (Not that you'd know it from the commentary team. Apparently because Van Dijk got the ball before studding Mertin's shin, that's just fine.)

Comment

Oh Danny Rose! That would have been such an amazing goal. Spurs going through at the moment.

Comment

Fuck me, what a save that was.

Comment

Allison thank fuck

Comment

The Inter player said "my aim is true" but he still saved it.

I think Spurs and Liverpool are better than Inter and Napoli so these are the right outcomes on merit but with the downside of making the Premier League even more unequal.
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-12-2018, 22:03.

Comment

Milik kicked that straight at allison's midriff. Allison made enough good saves not to be going overboard about that one.

Was mane on a retainer to make the game dramatic right up until the last second?

Comment

That was the save that won the game, TAB. Mignolet would have practically waved the ball through.

Comment

Said to my nephew at half time that I felt we’d concede late on, even if we’d got a second by then - we were just too easy to pick open. Relieved and a bit surprised that we’ve got out of the group to be honest, given how shit we’ve been away from home. Thought the ref tonight was poor, blew up for lots of challenges that weren’t even fouls.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                      That was the save that won the game, TAB. Mignolet would have practically waved the ball through.
                                      hah, well mignolet would just be standing in the wrong place. People seem to underestimate the importance of keepers just standing in the right place. It's 80% of what DDG does in one on ones. Just stand between the striker and the centre of the goal and get close enough to take up the centre of his shooting arc, and a lot of the time he's going to hit the ball straight at you. The other 20% is about how quick your hands and feet are. That save was a very good example.

this is something that all the goalkeepers we think of as good goalkeepers are consistently good at. they use their positioning to maximise the chances of the ball being hit straight at them. and are in the best position to respond to anything that happens. Mignolet isn't good at this.

Comment

This looks like an open, winnable competition for lots of teams. There's no stand out. And yet I'm off to Valencia in a few hours to watch a team that will meekly surrender in the next round, to a shrug from the manager, while Liverpool and Manchester City have a proper go at it. Oh well. At least we have our memories.

Napoli were wank, weren't they? This is the danger, hipsters. If your knowledge of a team comes from short video clips you've seen on social media, then you don't get a true reflection of how fucking shite most football teams are. Anyone could look good in a six second clip. Except us, obv.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                          hah, well mignolet would just be standing in the wrong place. People seem to underestimate the importance of keepers just standing in the right place. It's 80% of what DDG does in one on ones. Just stand between the striker and the centre of the goal and get close enough to take up the centre of his shooting arc, and a lot of the time he's going to hit the ball straight at you. The other 20% is about how quick your hands and feet are. That save was a very good example.

this is something that all the goalkeepers we think of as good goalkeepers are consistently good at. they use their positioning to maximise the chances of the ball being hit straight at them. and are in the best position to respond to anything that happens. Mignolet isn't good at this.
                                          In this way (excellent positioning) Allison often reminds me of Schmeichel the Elder. Lots of breathtaking point blank saves that look like they just happened to clatter into the keeper's midriff on slo-mo replay. The last gasp one last night was a textbook example, it looked like a certain goal, then on replay it looked like an awful miss, but only because he's closed the space so effectively

Comment

Teams to support in the last 16: anyone playing Real Madrid or PSG

Liverpool or Man City would be a good winner IMHO but not one of the greats, obviously, unless De Bruyne gets fit and back to his best. Bayern are "due." Barcelona not convincing as yet. If Man U get further than the last 16, football is dead to me.

Comment

Man City are basically PSG with added war crimes.

Comment

Real madrid losing 2-0 at home to CSKA moscow, and it looks like they might have to put down Gareth Bale. Fortunately for the Welsh fans on here, there's no internationals for ages.

Comment

3-0 now.

Comment

Notwithstanding the fact that they beat Real Madrid home and away, CSKA are completely out of Europe, as Viktoria Plzen have beaten Roma 2-1

Comment

Working...
                                                    X