No announcement yet.

Champions League 2018/19: A Visca Wanda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We saw it this morning, and it was recommended to me by an Australian who came in my pub a few days the other week. I think I'll go back to Bern one day, see it properly, because I didn't do the funicular either, and I love a funicular.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
      Sorry, just to check, you got the original Mott the Hoople reference?
      No. I'm Dutch. What is a Hoople?

Comment

Mott the Hoople.

Comment

Though this is the song in question.

warning sounds like status quo doing a bowie impersonation.

Comment

Like that’s a bad thing!

Comment

It is.

Comment

Well, Quo just being Quo would be better obviously...but Bowie was OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                  No. I'm Dutch. What is a Hoople?
                  If this doesn't win OTF post of the year then the whole contest is an absolute fucking sham.

Comment

Agree, but it'll go to a usual suspect. It's like the Mercury in that respect.

Mott The Hoople were at least 186,702 levels above Status Quo. (And were briefly quite big in the Netherlands.)

Comment

There can never be too many Mott references on OTF. I offer the panel a few facts and invite you to draw conclusions:

1 the young Theresa May's best mate at Oxford University was another future politician, Benazir Bhutto. Let's hope Terri's end isn't similarly violent...

2 Probably with this in mind, Benazir didn't worry about student politics. Her father, Zulfikar, also served as Pakistani PM before being overthrown by the Army and later hanged. Instead, young BB was a keen follower of the Herefordshire rockers and ran their fan club for a time

3 One of the band's best-loved songs 'Born late '58' refers an under-age groupie

As for the Quo, not ALL of their songs have only 2 or 3 chords, according to my Teach Yourself Ukebook

PS Mott vocalist Ian Hunter (aged 80) still gigs occasionally in his hometown Oswestry. Haircut hasn't changed significantly since days of chart stardom (see also Timothy B Schmidt, Brian May, Cosmo Clifford etc)
                      Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 21-09-2018, 10:18.

Comment

Football's really changed, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          Mott The Hoople were at least 186,702 levels above Status Quo. (And were briefly quite big in the Netherlands.)
                          Wouter's also one of the youngest OTFers, I believe. His youth rather than nationality seems to be the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            If this doesn't win OTF post of the year then the whole contest is an absolute fucking sham.
                            I clearly don't understand, and now feel foolish.

Comment

This has reminded me of a teenage problem I had - see "Singers You Mixed Up As A Teenager" in the Music thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                Wouter's also one of the youngest OTFers, I believe. His youth rather than nationality seems to be the issue.
                                This may very well be the case, though I don't think I am _the_ youngest. I'm 33 years old. I think we also have somebody in their late twenties.

Comment

Who would that be then? Off the top of my head, the only ones I know for certain are younger than me are you, Flynnie, Sam, denishurley and Fussbudget.

Comment

Roryfsmith fer sure

Comment

I am 19 years old.

Comment

Man City 1-0 down in Hoffenheim within the first minute...

Comment

Dybala puts Juve in front of Young Boys a couple of minutes later.

Comment

Aguero equalises on seven minutes. Might be a decent game, this.

Comment

The Man City game is being spoiled by an officious and not very good ref.

Comment

The Hoffenheim manager makes Owen Jones look like a haggard old man

Comment

Ref's just denied Man City a stonewall penalty

Comment

That's a shocking decision.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X