Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last week tonight

What's wrong with him?

If he wasn't so overly HYSTERICAL AND LOUD and Mezzo-Soprano I might listen to it. It's like watching Animal from The Muppets if Animal tourettes sang instead of tourettes beat his drum kit.

Pretty much the best show and most essential watch on TV at the moment and Oliver is a major part of the reason why.

Comment

Jon Stewart was brilliant and ground breaking, this bloke is only annoying. I mean, plenty of the humour is funny and the concept is proven but his delivery.... Jesus Christ.

Comment

Jon Stewart presented a different show and Oliver isn’t much like him in such style. Save for the fact they once worked together I don’t see the point in the comparison.

Comment

Totally different concepts? Like Late Night with David Letterman was a completely different thing from Tonight Show with Jay Leno? Yes, I can not see the glorious difference there.
          Last edited by Pietro Paolo Virdis; 12-06-2018, 22:35.

Comment

I didn’t say “totally different concepts” though, did I? I said Oliver presents a “different show” and “isn’t much like (Stewart) in style” (something you seem to agree with as you like one’s style and not the other’s)

Do you have a wider point other than, “I don’t like...”?

Comment

Also, Letterman was hugely different from Leno. Two very contrasting approaches to the same role.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                Do you have a wider point other than, “I don’t like...”?
                I think it is a brilliant show with some brilliant writers, ruined by a very obnoxious, tedious, muppet, lousy loud mouth.
                I'm not sure how wide you want it but the writers are great, his delivery sucks.
                You can't binge watch his shtick without wanting to murder your own walls after a while, because he gets under your skin and instead of listening to what is said you just want an atomic bomb to drop on his fucking head so he can calm down and be shut down.
                That's as wide as I can explain it from my stance.

Comment

So “No” then, OK.

Comment

Yes it's no

Comment

Totally different concepts? Like Late Night with David Letterman was a completely different thing from Tonight Show with Jay Leno? Yes, I can not see the glorious difference there.
                      Well it may not have been Boga Nyet's (how I hate OTF name changes) intention, but yes, they are totally different concepts. TDS is short form, daily headline-focused, often skit-based, has a cast of "correspondents" and features the usual talk show celebrity interviews. Last Week Tonight does longer segments, usually on less in-the-headlines subjects, doesn't do much in the way of skits (other than a penchant for silly dancing mascots), has no correspondents and doesn't do celebrity interviews.

By all means hate on Oliver's schtick - as a long time Bugle fan I like it a lot, though I can see why some people don't - but it's doing something very different to TDS. Incidentally, if you're binge watching, that might be part of the problem. It's clearly not the best way to watch it (or any topical satire, but doubly so for LWT given the relative lack of variety in style).

Comment

Working...
                      X