Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does a talented 17 year-old go, to become a top-class player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does a talented 17 year-old go, to become a top-class player?

Whitecaps seventeen-year-old wunderkid had a goal and three assists against Orlando yesterday.

Highlights here. He's #67, but you'll be able to figure that out:

He'll be eighteen (and out of contract) in December and the question everyone in Vancouver is asking is where should he go then to maximise his potential. Europe, sure, but which league would be best for his development. A lot of people reckon the EPL where, I suspect, he'd be loaned out to a third or fourth level club for "seasoning," and that's the last anyone would see of him. Personally I reckon the Bundesliga would be the best bet. There's a bit of a history with North American players, and my impression is that, overall, coaching is better than he's find in most other leagues.

This is all speculative of course, because it's early but apparently there's already solid interest from Besiktas. Thoughts?

I could get him a trial at Bath City?

Comment

Stay where he is for the moment,he's young and if he's happy there's no need to farm him out yet

Comment

That would be great, but there seems to be an expectation that if you're not on the radar of a top-class club by the time you're in your late teens, then your chances reduce dramatically.

Comment

Back in the day he'd have been expected to be in Europe by about 15. Not so sure it is the case now, as players can get on the radar in their domestic leagues. Also depends on the player - some can travel and settle well, others not. Aaron Mooy is a recent example from Australia. He had a couple of goes in Europe when younger but was homesick and ended up back in Australia until he was 26/27. Daniel Arzani is 17 and may end up in Europe after the World Cup. Brett Emerton didn't go to Europe until he was 21 and had a decent career.

I'd say Holland has the best reputation for giving creative players a chance.
          Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 11-06-2018, 06:04.

Comment

Holland or Germany. Somewhere that won't be kick and rush. But could Ajax afford him, say; maybe he's already on more than they pay?

Comment

It doesn't really matter. Anyone who can keep his head up while running that fast will be a success anywhere. that first cross is a thing of beauty.

Comment

It used to be Ajax, and a few more Dutch sides. But isn't it France now and a handful of different clubs, excluding PSG, where Lyon seem to still be top of their game in that regard despite having had a few years off the CL-radar?

Comment

Huddersfield.

Comment

The settling issue that UE notes is very individual to the player and club and tends to be under-appreciated when one looks at the question more broadly.

Davies was born in a refugee camp in Ghana to a family having escaped the Liberian civil war. He's been in Canada since he was 5. My guess is that he would be more flexible and resilient than a privileged kid of the same age who came up through the US "pay to play" system, but you can never be sure.

Germany and Holland would both be promising destinations, though he would really need to learn German if he went there (not so much for training, as for the rest of daily life and integration). I'd be concerned about clubs like PSG and OL warehousing talented youngsters. Besiktas is an ambitious club in a great city, but it is a physically challenging league and a real challenge at integration.

Comment

Wasn't Freddy Adu from Ghana and moved with his family over the Atlantic about the same age?

Comment

In all seriousness, well done Canadian Soccer Association for actually managing to cap him and in a competitive match too. They've screwed this up in the past.

Comment

Checking, and Adu was 8 yrs when he moved to USA, 18 when he joined Benfica. In hindsight maybe it would have been much better if he'd stayed at least a couple more years in USA.
                          But what do I know.

Only comparison I'm trying to make is that it's tough enough for someone young born in a country make the move to another under [what could be traumatic] circumstances, then leave his family and move again. It's easy to say becoming a football pro abroad is a glamorous life but for someone not yet an adult, it is a significant part the bit when you're far away from your closest. Especially if you've already moved to different continent once as a kid.
                          Last edited by Pietro Paolo Virdis; 11-06-2018, 14:33.

Comment

he's a shade under six feet tall, so that opens up his options considerably. It might be worth his while going to a mid level spanish club, and spending a couple of years there learning the tactical and technique side of the game, while having the advantage of being a physical wrecking ball compared to most other players in the league. A fairly stable club with a progressive style of play should do the trick for a couple of years. It would rely on his willingness to learn spanish.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              Huddersfield.
                              Cardiff is the future.

Comment

He's physically very mature. I saw his Caps debut when he was fifteen, and he looked pretty much the same size as he does today, though he's probably filled out a bit.

He appears to be very coachable and versatile, filled in at left-back on several occasions this season and not looked out of place. The Whitecaps have been cautious with his development, this is the first season he's routinely been in the starting line-up. They, and his family, also allow minimal media access, and are saying nothing about future plans until he finishes high-school. That's partly why there's so much speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  Germany and Holland would both be promising destinations, though he would really need to learn German if he went there (not so much for training, as for the rest of daily life and integration).
                                  I imagine that this isn't how you meant it, but I'd recommend against brushing up your German if you plan to go to the Netherlands.

No further language learning is required. English will do just fine, especially if you can play football.

Comment

Latest rumours on Fonzie have Huddersfield offering $10 million and Bayern $12 million. This will run for a bit, he's not 18 until December so the earliest he'd go anywhere is the January deadline.

Comment

Working...
                                    X