Becks’ Fizz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Becks’ Fizz

Are there reporting restrictions on this in the UK?

If so, please feel free to delete the thread. I have no interest in putting anyone in jeopardy.

About a divorce? Who knows, who cares,it's their life

Comment

Becks' Jizz?

Comment

There is an element of "who cares?" about this, of course. However, like no other, the cult of Brand Beckham meant that he was never just a footballer. Indeed, the genius in a way was how his public profile surpassed a fairly limited footballer - even one who worked hard on his strengths so as to make up somewhat for his weaknesses. He had the image of the anti-Gazza, the footballer that your Mum loved. This is even though his professionalism slipped and let him and his team down on occasion. Even all this could be kept within the parameters of being a footballer but Beckham always made sure that he went beyond this image. Both of them used their family to a certain extent in photo opportunities etc. I remember Beckham being lauded for being a model dad just because he appeared to take his kids out on occasion or drive them to school when the nanny was off. So, in some sense, while it isn't at all important what has happened between them, I am not surprised if there is the same level of interest as there was in much of the rest of their life - often orchestrated by them.

Comment

Beckham was a much better footballer than it's fashionable to give him credit for.

Comment

He's quite handsome. Also did a huge amount against British male macho.

Comment

Yeah. Up until around that Greece Game he was a serious footballer. Aside from being one of the best long passers the game has seen, he was also a player who played with his head up, worked hard to make his teammates look good, and crucially, he generally methodically went about doing all the shitty little things that a right sided midfielder has to do over the course of the game in order to be a top class midfielder. After the Greece game, the last bit started to slip a bit, and it started to become more and more noticeable, as his scoring rate climbed. Though in the long term this is unfortunate, because if your wide player isn't going to keep his opponent pinned back with fear of his pace, then he has to work quite hard.

I don't think it's particularly reasonable to criticize him for following the route that he took, or the choices he made. they seem to have worked out quite well for him, and it was what he wanted to do. It's made him richer than god, and he's certainly scratched whatever itch was ailing him. it's also difficult to feel too upset about him moving either. It's not like his replacement was too shoddy.
              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 10-06-2018, 20:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                He's quite handsome. Also did a huge amount against British male macho.
                He was also very open about having gay friends. That was a subject that football wasn't that keen to go near.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                  Beckham was a much better footballer than it's fashionable to give him credit for.
                  This. The guy had a wand of a right foot.

Comment

I saw Beckham play for England against Wales and he was the hardest working player on the pitch.

Papers today reckon the split story is bollocks.

Comment

Perhaps it was fashionable but I am basing it on, well, watching him. Great crosser and hitter of a dead ball and he had a good shot. He was completely one-footed (not, by any means, a weakness exclusive to him amongst professional footballers ridiculously), no real pace, couldn't take players on and couldn't head the ball. As I say, credit to him for working hard on his strengths which negated most of his weaknesses. Mark Hughes famously tried overhead kicks first and foremost because he wasn't confident heading the ball and I am not going to slag Sparky off.

Out of interest, would you rate Beckham over Giggs or vice versa?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        I saw Beckham play for England against Wales and he was the hardest working player on the pitch.
                        Oh, I don't think anyone could accuse Beckham of being lazy (although, if that was the match when he went off with a rib injury, I reckon he could stayed on). Indeed, perhaps I didn't make this clear in my post but he obviously worked extremely hard on the training pitch to capitalise on his strengths. We have all seen more naturally talented players who don't feel they have to work so hard and not achieve as much.

Comment

There's been a bit of a narrative that's developed about Beckham that he was never the same after leaving Utd, and that he would have achieved more if he'd stayed under Fergie's wing a la Giggs and Scholes. I actually think he was right to leave England when he did. As good as he was he was never as versatile as either Giggs or Scholes, and after a while people figure out how to play against you. His mistake was going to Madrid as the whole Galacticos thing imploded. In hindsight I think he should have gone to Italy, he did well for Milan years later, I think a move there in 03 would have been great for him.

Comment

I think it's a weird thing to do to concentrate on what a player can't do as opposed to what he can.

As for Giggs v Beckham, Giggs was by far the better player. But Beckham from 1998 to 2003 played by far the better football.

Comment

Veron once said of Beckham "He's so beautiful, I don't know whether to tackle him or fuck him." Shame it had to be an either or, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                We have all seen more naturally talented players who don't feel they have to work so hard and not achieve as much.
                                I don't think Beckham has ever claimed - or had anyone claim on his behalf - that he's that kind of a player.

He had the best work-ethic I've seen since the sixties (in football, I mean) - and more than sufficient skills to back that up, which doesn't make for too bad a combination. The supposed prodigies England produced in his wake (Owen, Rooney) may have had superior gifts, but did not live up to expectation and hype.

I'd wager that your boy is the only British Isles player who could claim to have achieved this since.

Comment

Veron once said of Beckham "He's so beautiful, I don't know whether to tackle him or fuck him." Shame it had to be an either or, I guess.

Comment

The qualifier against Greece in 2001 was rescued by Beckham on his own, from what I recall. Everyone else was playing like a headless chicken, as they would continue to do in big games for the next 15 years. Beckham looked like the class player in an average team, whereas at Man U there were half a dozen or so class players (pretty sure that the Prem top 4 of the time would all have beaten England handily, as they would now of course).

The timing of this story is telling: it's a week before the World Cup, there's no tittle tattle from the squad so let's make up shit about the most famous football marriage of all-time.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-06-2018, 11:30.

Comment

+1

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                        I have literally no idea what is going on in this picture, and I am quite afraid to find out.

Comment

I always liked Beckham. I liked him before he was fashionable. In fact, I coined the name "David Belgium".

Comment

Truckasaurus.

Comment

Thanks. I was going to guess at Futurama. Both are blind spots in my TV cartoon consumption.

Comment

Working...
                                              X