Orange is the colour and...err... Orange is the name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orange is the colour and...err... Orange is the name

New BC Lions cornerback A.J. Jefferson is so amped to be playing for the team he's changed his name to A.J. Orange (the team colour.)

To put this in perspective for the non-CFL aware it's roughly akin to Blackpool's left back changing his name to Mr Tangerine. I know, in the past, at least one player has changed his name to his shirt number, but I don't recall anyone else re-dubbing with the club colours. Anyone?

What's the standard like in CFL Amor, and what are the rule differences? Sits Jnr told me Tim Tebow, the bizarre NFL flash in the pan QB, went there. How did he get on?

Comment

I think that I've mentioned before that I prefer the Canadian version to the American one.

The differences are described in some detail here, but the principle ones are:

12 men on the field vs 11
      3 downs instead of 4
      A wider 110 yards of field in play vs a narrower 100
      20 yard deep end zones instead of 10
      entire offensive backfield can be in motion before the snap vs only one member
      one point to kicking team if receiving team fails to run ball out of the end zone following a kick off, punt or missed field goal vs a touchback
      full yard between the lines at scrimmage vs length of the ball

The "standards" are difficult to compare in detail because of the different rules (somewhat like union and league). As a general rule, CFL players are smaller and quicker, as the game incentivises "wide open" play. Mobile quarterbacks who can run are more valuable than "pocket passers", given three downs and the wider scrimmage lines. Many of the greatest players in CFL history (including guys you may have heard of like Doug Flutie and Warrne Moon) have been American, but that isn't the case with all of them. There are limits on the number of Americans any one team can roster.

Tebow never played in the CFL; Johnny Manziel, who bombed out of the NFL after being the number one draft pick, is trying to resurrect his career with Hamilton and has the physical attributes to do well there
      Last edited by ursus arctos; 09-06-2018, 11:35.

Comment

The biggest practical difference between the CFL and NFL is money, which is why I used the Blackpool analogy above. Effectively the gulf makes the CFL a semi-pro league for many players. The league has a hard salary cap, and most of the money goes on key players — QBs, receivers, etc. The cannon fodder positions barely make a living wage, so a lot of guys have second jobs, like working security at clubs.

There's a constant debate on which league is the most exciting. I'm generally with ursus. Three downs means the ball changes hands more often in the CFL, so you're less likely to have teams running out the clock in the fourth quarter. It's not that unusual for teams to blow a three touchdown lead in the last couple of minutes if they try to do that. OTOH some football purists reckon three downs makes the offence more predictable. If they don't get a big gain on first down, second down is virtually certain to be a pass.

Culturally the CFL is pretty unique. In terms of cities it's an all-Canadian pro-league, and the Grey Cup is the oldest contested competition in North America. More people might watch the NFL in Canada, except on Grey Cup final day. Then, even if they haven't watched a CFL game all year, everyone north of the 49th is a fan-for-a-day, with an allegiance no one else was aware of.

These days it's generally viewed as an old-man's league. In Vancouver, Toronto and maybe Montréal the MLS clubs match or out-draw their CFL competition. Except on TV, where the CFL enjoys far more eyeballs and therefore a more lucrative contract. Because, a soccer coach I overheard reckons, "All their fans are in care homes."

Many of the greatest players in CFL history (including guys you may have heard of like Doug Flutie and Warrne Moon) have been American, but that isn't the case with all of them. There are limits on the number of Americans any one team can roster.

It's got to be fifty-fifty I think. To enlarge a little on famous Americans. Flutie got his break in the CFL because he was thought too small for the NFL. It's less true than it was but, for decades, the CFL took advantage of the NFL's racist practices. It was largely unspoken but black QB's were actively "discouraged." Warren Moon was left undrafted by the NFL, but played five years for Edmonton who he led to five consecutive Grey Cup wins. After that there was a bidding war in the NFL for his services.
        Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 09-06-2018, 16:51.

Comment

It's worth noting that the CFL once tried to expand into the US, largely driven by Baltimore's desire for a team after the Colts moved to Indianapolis in the middle of the night (literally).

That briefly got the league more US television exposure, but as more US clubs joined, the strain on the league as a whole risked its very viability. Baltimore remains the only non-Canadian team to win the Grey Cup.

Comment

It did get the league a plug on Homicide-Life on the Streets

Comment

They even got away with playing as the "Baltimore CFL Colts" for a season before the NFL brought the IP hammer down (they then became the "Baltimore Stallions")

Comment

I was just about to post something about derogatory about the CFL having eight teams, but two teams with the same name - Rough Riders and Roughriders...

Having checked though, I have to ask, What sort of a name is REDBLACKS?

Every year I lived in Canada it seemed like the CFL was on the verge of collapse. Is it still the same?

Comment

Not at the moment. Their TSN deal (mentioned above) has papered over the financial problems. Attendances are weak in the three biggest markets though — Toronto was down to four figures during the early part of last season.

Having checked though, I have to ask, What sort of a name is REDBLACKS?

A very CFL one. They consider it "cutting edge."

Comment

Working...
                  X