• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir Kenny

About fucking time.

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    About fucking time.
    Pretty much exactly blameless snr and my words when we saw it on the news.

Any one of three things (his football career, his cancer fundraising, his conduct throughout Hillsborough, the aftermath, and the enquiry) should have caused this to happen a long time ago.

Comment

I sort of hoped he wouldn't give a shit about such rubbish. To be fair, he isn't over gushing about it.

"For the family, it's a huge honour."

"It won't make any difference to me, I'll just maybe need to change my passport!

"But just because we're a wee bit embarrassed about it doesn't underestimate how pleased and proud we are to have received it.

"I hope everyone who came into our lives enjoys it as well."
      I always think that the honours system is especially archaic when the Queen is honouring people who have achieved so much more then she has.

Comment

I don't think he should have been knighted

I don't think anyone should be knighted.

But fair play to Dalglish for his many achievements and qualities, personally and professionally

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
          About fucking time.
          Yup, it has been a glaring omission for a long, long time.

Silliness of the honours system aside, Defoe's gong is a decent pick from whoever decides such things.

Comment

So, is Howard Gayle the only footballer that we know has turned down an honour?

In a related field, Professor Phil Scraton did so very admirably of course.

Fucked of with Emma Thompson, mind. I presume she must have accepted such things before though.

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

I always think that the honours system is especially archaic when the Queen is honouring people who have achieved so much more then she has.
            Pretty much anyone then?
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-06-2018, 22:43.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
              I don't think he should have been knighted

I don't think anyone should be knighted.

But fair play to Dalglish for his many achievements and qualities, personally and professionally
              That's it in a nutshell. Dalglish has done so much of worth that, to see this as a pinnacle, somewhat undervalues that.

Comment

I must say I'm surprised at this. He has some really colourful connections. Borracho had some fascinating stories about his security at press conferences in Glasgow.

Comment

So does all this mean that OTF has officially forgiven Sir Kenny for supporting bitey racism?

Comment

Pissed-up racism apologist. Sounds perfect company for the Queen.

Comment

Bitey racism?

Dodgy connections?

That didn't take us very long, did it?

Comment

So we should all be distracted by the shiny shiny thing the nice queen is going to give him?

Comment

Probably expressing myself a bit flippantly but I was a little thrown. I seem to recall Dalglish being viewed in a different light previously.

Given that some players are seemingly never forgiven for having played for Franchise as children or worked for, I dunno, Team Bath, I was surprised to see the Suarez thing apparently forgotten and forgiven.

Going to add I loved him as a player and thought his post-Hillsborough reaction was special.

Anyhoo, don’t mind me.

Comment

He's a complicated figure alright. I shy away from people trying to attribute uniformly good moral character to people involved in football. They have to be able to survive in a horrendously dirty business. Dalglish is just a chieftain type figure, like Ferguson. Both have their good points and bad points. It's like expecting an irish politician to be a consistently good person.

Comment

What do you get with this?
                              Only the title, or do you get to take over one of the Downton Abbey like mansions?

Comment

He gets one of these

No manor

Comment

It's very Watford FC

Comment

Working...
                                  X