EIM-ish food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EIM-ish food?

You're on the hummus bandwagon, beside that I know curry is huge in UK.
    Curry is where you Beatlesmaniac venture 2AM after a night out for some food, right before you head home?

In Sweden, it's kebab. And most of the places are a combo pizzera/kebab so what is very popular, is a kebab roll. Where they use the pizza oven to make a bread then stuff all the goodies inside.

Do you have this in UK?
    I just had one. And I want one more.

In Turkey it's called a dürüm, basically a wrap, and it's delicious. Some are made with a pide, flatbread, and others with lavaş, a tortilla. I love them and want an Adana Dürüm now.

Comment

What's "pide"?

Comment

You can also get it stuffed or with like this:

Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 08-06-2018, 18:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
          What's "pide"?
          Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 08-06-2018, 18:35.

Comment

Oh, never tried that. What's the Turkish name of that pide thing again?

Comment

PPV, Kebabs are exactly what the UK does at 2am. There's not many 24 hour curry restaurants I've come across except once in Glasgow (they're normally licensed for a start so have to kick you out by 12).

But kebabs? Some of those side street ones don't even OPEN until midnight.
              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 08-06-2018, 19:09.

Comment

Fuck, I miss Glasgow sometimes.

Comment

That pide kebab reminded me of the very tasty Calzone pizza.

Can someone link to a menu from a typical UK pizzeria? We all know that pizza is different down in Italy and up north in Europe, want to check what it's like in UK compared to Sweden. And a typical now, family run, not some chain like Pizza Hut.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                    PPV, Kebabs are exactly what the UK does at 2am. There's not many 24 hour curry restaurants I've come across except once in Glasgow (they're normally licensed for a start so have to kick you out by 12).

But kebabs? Some of those side street ones don't even OPEN until midnight.
                    Guess it's EIM with his stories made me think all of you sat ate curry at 2 in the morning.

Comment

Oh, never tried that. What's the Turkish name of that pide thing again?
                      Pide PPV. Enjoy.

Comment

Oh, I thought it was you playing with the English word pie and pronounced pied.
                        So it's "pee-de"?

Comment

Can someone link to a menu from a typical UK pizzeria?
                          I can't really vouch for the rest of the country but round my neck of the woods, there's pretty much no such thing. It's either the chains (there was an inordinate amount of excitement when a Papa John's opened recently) or kebab houses selling pizzas as an alternative.
                          Regarding the latter, there seems to be little or no variation - same toppings, same incredibly stringy, tasteless cheese, same overcooked cardboard base and same slightly orange tinted "tomato" sauce that you will never wash out your clothes if you're as ham-fisted as me.

Comment

Oh, I thought it was you playing with the English word pie and pronounced pied.
                            So it's "pee-de"?
                            Peeday is closer.

Comment

Here you go PPV.

Comment

Aha, a chance for parmos and London pizzas to be discussed again...

Comment

Originally posted by (More Than) 3 Colours Rainbow View Post
                                  there was an inordinate amount of excitement when a Papa John's opened recently
                                  Papa John's is shit and the proprietor is a horrible right-wing shitbag.

Oh, and the bloke who works counter on the Catford branch is an absolute arsehole, as I have definitely mentioned before.

Comment

Can't wait to be back on the laptop to take part in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                      Papa John's is shit and the proprietor is a horrible right-wing shitbag.

Oh, and the bloke who works counter on the Catford branch is an absolute arsehole, as I have definitely mentioned before.
                                      I wasn't one of the excited ones, trust me. I dunno how I've managed to stick it out around here for nearly 36 years, this town has an alarming habit of kicking itself in the teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Here you go PPV.
                                        Cheers. Doesn't look much like the average Swedish pizzeria. Lot more variation in topping here. Tomato sauce and cheese is often not even mentioned on the menu because it's a given to be on it.
                                        I take it they sprinkle extra virgin olive oil over it, which isn't done here.
                                        One I often buy in Sweden has shrimp, crab, tuna and clams. Alternatively minced meat, onion, red pepper, garlic, peperoncino.
                                        Among the most popular are kebab pizza or one with onion, tomato, garlic, Béarnaise sauce and beef tenderloin.

Checking my local (we have three pizza places within a minute walking distance) the menu has over 60 different pizza, from simple with 2-3 toppings to Supervego with mushroom, feta cheese, garlic, Mozarella, pepper, sun-dried tomato, garlic and artichoke.
                                        And each can be ordered family size with a gigantic pizza delivered.

With every pizza you also get a free special salad made of shredded white cabbage, olive oil, vinegar, salt and black pepper.

Comment

Now I want my favourite “pizza” type food: lahmajoun. Sometimes spelt Lahmacun by Turks.

Very thin dough base, a smear of mince, tomato, spice and herb topping. Finished off with raw sliced red onion, parsley and lemon.

Much to the horror of the local Turkish restaurants that serve it, I’ll put a dollop of chilli sauce and garlic yoghurt dressing on the side for dipping.

Comment

The best way to eat a Swedish pizza is indeed to pretend it is a kebab.

Comment

This thread is unfair, I feel, suggesting as it does that I am a junk-food guzzling glutton. A greasy, kebab-chomping lardarse, unable to move from my bed unless to accept another delivery from Just-Eat. This ignores my healthy diet of salad, veg, and very little meat these days, sharing my plater instead with lentils, chickpeas, tofu, and those Quorn Southern Fried burgers than are better than anything the (probably racist, we decided the other day) Colonel can produce.

But if I were to be a chubbster, dripping in fat and oil, with the delicious aroma of lamb and spice being secreted from every pore, and melted cheese matting my beard, this is what I'd be eating:

SAFAD - Safad on Bloom Street does the best falafel I've had since the little stall on Tachbrook Street market in London. Served in a wrap I have it with hummus, chilli, special onion mix and lettuce. You can have aubergine and all that, but I'm not into it. No sir. They also serve Fatayer for three and a half quid, which is a spicy folded pizza and tastes fucking ace. Not at all healthy, but who gives a fuck, it's proper good.

JANAM - Janam has a 1 star food safety rating. I am not at all arsed. I have never been ill eating at Janam, and I trust them with my guts and my life. I assume the mix up was a paperwork related snafu, but it's entirely possible they don't day dot their salad. Who cares when their chicken tikka kebab tastes so good. Chicken tikka, lettuce, onions, cabbage, chilli, yoghurt sauce, mango chutney, wrapped up in a nan bread. Dielicious dirty bastard. All the fun of a kebab, with the added frisson of Indian takeaway. Though yer man is from Pakistan, but still.

RUDY'S PIZZA - They've just opened a new site near that BrewDog shite, but the original in Ancoats is still the best. Ultra thin Neapolitan pizzas in basic surroundings, with Napoli and Maradona merch for those looking hard enough. It's always packed, and they don't do reservations, so you have to wait sometimes. But it's worth it, and I love it. http://rudyspizza.co.uk/ancoats/

SALFORD PIZZA - I used to get my pizza delivered from Salford Pizza, but I've sadly moved out of their delivery range. They do massive pizzas, up to 20", and the base and toppings are fantastic. It's the sort of pizza that'd make an Italian FURIOUS, but fuck those uppity snobs. Just because *they* didn't think of sticking doner meat and jalapenos on a pizza the size of God's face doesn't mean that it's somehow less authentic. They also once gave me a fridge magnet and some free chicken wings. Top, top lads.

Comment

I forgot rice and three. An unforgivable error.

Comment

Wasn't so much associating you with junk food.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X