Anthony Bourdain RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anthony Bourdain RIP

Another suicide of someone I admire; another awful waste.

I have shown his videos in class many times, and he has influenced my teaching style.

Smart, witty, urbane. Terrible loss, is making me upset.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-06-2018, 12:06.

Terribly sad.

Les Halles was one of our favourite restaurants in the city when we were all much younger.

Comment

Genuinely shocked, both at the loss and the circumstances.

Comment

The 1999 New Yorker piece that made him a star.

Comment

His shows were some of the best documentaries on TV that you could find, never mind just being travel shows. He was a strong voice showing us normal people in places that never get shown on American TV, which was almost an act of resistance itself during the Bush years, when he got started on TV. We needed him around still.

Comment

That is a beautiful piece of writing.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ablington/status/1005056496609169409

Comment

It would be flip to say that he has gone in search of more parts unknown. A genuine tragedy. I'll miss him. RIP. Incidentally if you get the chance to see the "Parts Unknown" in West Virginia don't pass it up. Wonderful TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Another suicide of someone I admire; another awful waste.

I have shown his videos in class many times, and he has influenced my teaching style.
                  Really? I am fascinated by the idea of that. Could you point me in the direction of some exemplars?

I don't really know much about him - "Kitchen Confidential" is still waiting to be read by me - but liked what I heard and some interviews he did with the likes of Josh Homme etc.

He came across as a bit arrogant and you could imagine him being a pain in the arse on occasion but also a bon viveur, interesting and probably, on the whole, someone it would be interesting to hang out with. He reminds me of friends who lived the 60s to the fullest. Interesting that he is in Film, TV rather than World.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                    Really? I am fascinated by the idea of that. Could you point me in the direction of some exemplars?
                    Just the fact that his speech rhythm and ironic tone works really well with American students so I have found myself incorporating them into my own. An example would be the massage scene in Uzbekistan. Here from 23:00 (the whole episode is great):

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28k7uk
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-06-2018, 16:29.

Comment

fuck's sake

Comment

https://twitter.com/jpbrammer/status/1005086180755542017?s=21

Comment

Horrible news.

Comment

Loved his book, and never ate fish on a Monday again.

A mensch who called out the powerful (Trump, Weinstein and Clinton ) and always sympathised with his subjects around the world

in Gaza

Iran

Libya

and many more

RIP

Comment

One of my favourite shows of his featured him puking his ring after spending the night drinking vietnamese (I think) moonshine in someone's house in the arse end of nowhere after what looked like an absolutely amazing meal. hew seemed like a more annoying, less annoying version of rick stein.

He featured a gig in the cobblestone I used to occasionally play in, though I wasn't in the night when his camera crew was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                Loved his book, and never ate fish on a Monday again.

Ah, was it him that brought that to my attention?

Comment

Yes, that became widespread knowledge with Kitchen Confidential.

Comment

`New Yorker tribute

Comment

There are things about him I loved and a few things - related to his attitude to meat, vegetarians, and Ted Nugent - that I really don’t.

But this is really sad.

Today, Marc Maron posted his 2011 interview with Bourdain. It’s worth a listen.

Comment

Ah, fuck, he wasn't a Ted Nugent fan, was he?

Comment

He hung out with him. He explains it on the podcast.

Comment

a palestinian review of his palestine programme

Comment

Oh no.

Comment

In the end, a snap poll in my brain.

As far as white Americans go:

1) Mark Twain

2) FDR

3) Anthony Bourdain

Hearing his girlfriend was Asia Argento, my heart goes out to her. What a horrible few years for that girl.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1005256031314665473

Comment

Working...
                                                  X